• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,891 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, GBrad said:

Found this one in my mailbox the other day @Hoghead515!!!!!  I can't seem to get enough gold lately now that I've been bit by that darn bug...... I know it's from ICG but aside from just a few small copper spots on this one, I can't find the first mark or blemish at all (scratches are on the holder).  I'm loving my gold coins (this is just my second one and probably will be for awhile especially if the "warden" catches on......lol ). 

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

Ill trade you mailboxes. lol. I sure wish I could get some gold coins but its just to far out of my budget right now. Even the little ones. Only gold I have is a Pamp gold bar. 1 gram and a few nuggets. Maybe 3 or 4 grams. 

On 11/12/2021 at 3:19 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I still like it but it looks like the die was starting to get worn. Looks like a bit of strike doubling. Im still happy to put it in with the rest. 1 more down in the set and several more to go. 

Don't be too hard on it, Hog......it's a nice Philly Washington from the 1950's.  Most of them look terrible, even in MS.  Die fatigue starts to become extremely common on Philly coins right around the time your quarter was struck.  I've sold a few of the Type B reverses in my resale venture and handled plenty of silver Washingtons during my time at the brick and mortar shop, and none of the 1956's I recall looked nearly as nice as your coin does.  It's one of those dates that's really common ugly but extremely difficult pretty in MS.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:12 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Very nice. Congrats on getting the set. 

Thanks Hog!!! But I'm not quite done yet.....Antiqued Cleo was the last rare one.  I still have four rounds to go: Cleo in BU, Anubis in BU, Osiris in BU and Sekhmet in BU.  And then Ra is coming out in the two finishes at the end of this year or beginning of next.  But I'm getting there and I sort of have a complete set......I have all of the different designs now, just not all of the different finishes.

@Hoghead515and @The Neophyte Numismatist 

Both of you are to be commended for sharing your fine new additions.  

The luster of that premium gem Buffalo is blinding!  Cool variety, too!!

I love the color and detail of that early Half Cent!!

I have enjoyed viewing them both!!

Thank you!! :golfclap::banana::headbang:

Edited by Walkerfan

On 11/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

1 - I call this coin an  AU53 CAC.  I use the NGC holder grade, and am not nearly as hard on this coin as Mr. Partrick (his grade was XF40) 

He probably used EAC grading standards. They tend to be more conservative than current standards.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:54 PM, Just Bob said:

He probably used EAC grading standards. They tend to be more conservative than current standards.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with EAC "Net Grading", there is a book called, "Grading Guide for Earlier American Copper Coins."  This book is a great reference and demystifies some of the nuances in Early American Copper coins.  This thread is for coin acquisitions, so enough from me about the reference materials... just wanted to provide some context for anyone who is puzzled by the reference above.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:34 AM, Lem E said:

very flashy coins

Absolutely - positively beautiful coins.  You cannot avoid focusing on the little flashes of color.  Anyone would be proud to have those in their collection.    :golfclap:

On 11/24/2021 at 3:34 AM, Lem E said:

I bought these coins from an online dealer not knowing they were all related. All 3 are from the same older submission. #s 009 - 019 - 021. All 3 look very similar and are very flashy coins showing light rainbow toning. Very pleased with this purchase and Joe performed his usual magic touch.

1943S JEFF COMBINE.JPG

1945D JEFF COMBINE.JPG

1945S JEFF 2 COMBINE.JPG

I absoulutely love his photography. He does a really good job. One of these days id like to get some professional photos of my GW collection.