• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,889 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

You are aware, that this hubblesque contraption includes -- according to what I read here -- a 30X  feature as a standard part of the equipment.

Yes, mine does as well, but I’ve never had a reason to crank it up that high. Who do you think I am, Ratzie33?

Edited by VKurtB

Hey guys. Thanks for the “likes” on my previous 1967 Jefferson!  I have the others, 65 and 66 year models, that I may post as well if I can muster up some decent pictures. Considering I only gave $2 bucks for each SMS, I think I did pretty well (or did I….?). I am totally new to buying coins and just getting my feet wet so to speak. Based on the pic of the 1967 above, can you possibly give me your best estimation of a grade. I’m thinking no less than MS67 basing it off of Photograde comparisons. As I said earlier, the center of the reverse is much better than it looks  in my pic. Hard time these days taking good pics til I get a better phone. Thanks again!!

I think the pics look pretty good myself. I don’t look at a lot of nickels past 64 and everything of mine is business strike so I don’t see very many of these. I’d say it looks decent at 67. Very nice pick up.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:31 AM, Lem E said:

Thank you sir. My collection has branched out all over the place here lately. I just pick up what appeals to me. There is no rhyme or reason anymore. (shrug)

Nice, I'm the same usually on regular purchases, rhyme and reason in a series though...some days I drift back into varieties, upgrade the 7070, maybe bullion...I went through a huge branching out phases before...peace 

The 1883-S is one of the expensive early dates, it never really made much sense to me given that its not all that rare as there are many examples available even up to MS64.   Sounds like its time to reload the piggy bank and then renew the search.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:44 PM, GBrad said:

You forgot about me!

On 8/25/2021 at 11:44 PM, GBrad said:

You forgot about me!

No, not at all.  @RWB enjoys complete immunity. @Coinbuf to my knowledge, does not acknowledge my existence. That is why I heap praise on him in the hope he will soften up. @Alex in PA. is one tough cookie and has an array of "woofs" to make minemeat of me. I believe @Oldhoopster is the real deal. I've heard what he has to say -- entirely with merit -- from my schoolteachers my entire life. He very capably reduced paragraphs I have written -- to a single line! Politely. I could have included my mentor, @VKurtB,  the first person on the Forum to mock me, on the first day I appeared, but he is very well liked. And you, @GBrad are also well liked by everyone.  Besides, I like your avatar. xD

On 8/26/2021 at 10:10 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

No, not at all.  @RWB enjoys complete immunity. @Coinbuf to my knowledge, does not acknowledge my existence. That is why I heap praise on him in the hope he will soften up. @Alex in PA. is one tough cookie and has an array of "woofs" to make minemeat of me. I believe @Oldhoopster is the real deal. I've heard what he has to say -- entirely with merit -- from my schoolteachers my entire life. He very capably reduced paragraphs I have written -- to a single line! Politely. I could have included my mentor, @VKurtB,  the first person on the Forum to mock me, on the first day I appeared, but he is very well liked. And you, @GBrad are also well liked by everyone.  Besides, I like your avatar. xD

The 7070 is a very early concept to learn in this hobby. We are in danger of losing a generation of collectors’ knowledge to Dansco’s production weakness. They haven’t actually done a production run of 7070 albums in years. Maybe the  scarcity is soon over. The supplies dealer at the Dalton show had gotten 8 new cases of albums. 

On 8/26/2021 at 8:40 AM, VKurtB said:

The 7070 is a very early concept to learn in this hobby. We are in danger of losing a generation of collectors’ knowledge to Dansco’s production weakness. They haven’t actually done a production run of 7070 albums in years. Maybe the  scarcity is soon over. The supplies dealer at the Dalton show had gotten 8 new cases of albums. 

I drove up to their new production facility in Sumas, WA a few months ago to buy some albums.  They definitely are in production, but COVID restrictions have hampered their rate of production.

Mark

On 8/26/2021 at 7:41 PM, 124Spider said:

I like die-error coins, and I was curious what an MS68 RD Lincoln cent would look like up close.  And it cost a tiny fraction of what an MS69 RD cost (top graded level of this variety; of course, there are thousands of MS68 slabs, and only a few dozen MS69, so I guess it's the "condition rarity" I just learned about). So I bought it.  And I like it!

Slab.jpg

Obverse.jpg

Reverse.jpg

DoubledLiberty.jpg

Being a diehard Lincoln variety and error collector myself, I love your coin! Great example of DDO FS-001. Been looking for one of these in the wild for years. You are correct in saying this coin's estimated value exponentially increases after MS68.  Very glad you are happy with it!(thumbsu 

[To the membership-at- large.

Gentlemen of the numismatic persuasion, with the display of this coin dated 1995, featuring the Lincoln Memorial, I am faced with the unenviable task of retracting every bad word I have ever thought, entertained or uttered against this undeniably exquisite top-tier specimen years after Wheaties bit the dust.]

On 8/26/2021 at 11:40 AM, VKurtB said:

My 7070 is Personal for me. Every coin is not regular or extremely high grade but special, like variety wise and or eye appeal. 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, jtryka said:

This one arrived in the mail yesterday.

1822o-106aobv.jpg

1822o-106arev.jpg

Now this is something you should rightly be proud to own. Strong solid strike! Curlicue-twos! Strong, forceful, over-sized, three-dimensional stars, and best of all, denticles running interference right off the circumference of the coin against all enemies -- foreign and domestic. The 19th Century: when coins were king and showcased the various engravers' artistic skills! Lovely catch @jtryka!!!

On 8/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, jtryka said:

This one arrived in the mail yesterday.

1822o-106aobv.jpg

1822o-106arev.jpg

For some reason, I am having a hard time with this one. O-106?

On 8/30/2021 at 8:34 AM, Just Bob said:

For some reason, I am having a hard time with this one. O-106?

Yes, this one was a challenge, I believe it's an O-106a, as it has the die cracks through the date and stars on the obverse and up through UNITES STA on the reverse.  The die cracks are not as fully formed, so this might be earlier in the later die state (I'm not sure that sentence makes any sense, but I'll go with it).

[Now I know how Alexander Woollcott, long deceased, felt when he praised a production to the stars in his own inimical fashion only to have it dismissed out of hand with what amounts to an SKU: a capital letter and hyphen followed by three numbers. I guess that's show business.]  🐓 

On 8/30/2021 at 8:57 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Now I know how Alexander Woollcott, long deceased, felt when he praised a production to the stars in his own inimical fashion only to have it dismissed out of hand with what amounts to an SKU: a capital letter and hyphen followed by three numbers. I guess that's show business.]  🐓 

It certainly is THIS show business. Thou must genuflect to the god Overton.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:46 PM, VKurtB said:

It certainly is THIS show business. Thou must genuflect to the god Overton.

I will have to say: Beautiful coin @jtryka!!! Way outside of my pay grade, and knowledge of coins, but I love your newly acquired coin. I have just barely graduated from Lincolns, trying to work my way into Morgans (help me Lord), and then maybe.... just maybe... I can start learning about coins such as this.  However, @VKurtB forced me to expand my verbiage by his use of  "genuflect".  At least I have that going for me in that I expanded my verbiagecal skill set. (and no, 'vercbiagecal' is not a form of the word but it sounded good and you get the point).

On 8/30/2021 at 11:34 PM, GBrad said:

I will have to say: Beautiful coin @jtryka!!! Way outside of my pay grade, and knowledge of coins, but I love your newly acquired coin. I have just barely graduated from Lincolns, trying to work my way into Morgans (help me Lord), and then maybe.... just maybe... I can start learning about coins such as this.  However, @VKurtB forced me to expand my verbiage by his use of  "genuflect".  At least I have that going for me in that I expanded my verbiagecal skill set. (and no, 'vercbiagecal' is not a form of the word but it sounded good and you get the point).

I’ve dated a few Catholic girls in my past. Ya pick up terms. “I do have a particular set of skills…”