• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,891 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2021 at 2:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

"....original skin and color of this coin?"  As opposed to what?  What is the "original skin and color of this coin" supposed to be?

"Original Skin" is another way of saying "original surfaces" of the coin.  This coin could be in the same holder, and dipped "blast white".  However, I appreciate its originality and color.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Evidently, I got so caught up in how the heavyweight championship would play out between @RWB and @VKurtBwith the Great Zadok's affinity for using the "confused" emoji, that I missed the slide show on blast white cartwheels and how it qualified as a little-known exemption to the iron-clad, not to be confused with cleaning.  I appreciate the clarification.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:54 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I missed the slide show on blast white cartwheels...,

In fairness, I would think "dipping" anything copper in something like MS70 would bring subpar results, nickels included.  Blue Ribbon Conditioner may be a better choice ;)

On 10/5/2021 at 9:05 PM, Lem E said:

Been a little while since I have bought anything with some plastic around it. 

487DF82D-3331-443E-AFFE-0E79DB7AEDD6.jpeg

Beautiful coin Lem E!  Plastic or not, that is a very nice Jefferson!  I have actually always, at heart, been an avid Linc collector myself but I have gotten extremely interested in Jeffersons lately.  Good job and a nice pick!

On 10/5/2021 at 11:16 PM, GBrad said:

Beautiful coin Lem E!  Plastic or not, that is a very nice Jefferson!  I have actually always, at heart, been an avid Linc collector myself but I have gotten extremely interested in Jeffersons lately.  Good job and a nice pick!

Thanks. Appreciate it. Jeffs are a good time. We are a bit reversed as I have been picking up some raw unc Lincolns, and I just happened to get a 1920P Lincoln in my change tonight. A little rough but still cool to get stuff like that in change. 

At the risk of having the  entire membership rise up and eviscerate me, very publicly and embarrassingly -- and anyone who would entertain the thought, "Well, it's not against the Guidelines to comment in good faith, negatively or not," I hereby throw all caution to the wind and aver the following...

There is a special place in my ❤  for @Lem E his modest style, collection of coins, and introduction to @Buffalo Head's photography skills.  I don't know who photographed the 1961 Jefferson, but I am not sure it would make a difference.  I have withheld comment until I have had a sufficient opportunity to examine it [under possibly unlawful, according to @VKurtB's unarguable Law of the Magnification of Coins] and come to the conclusion that while the coin is deserving of an MS-67 grade in every respect, that does not extend to the very weakly struck stone pile with barely distinguishable architectural features.  I do not want to put any Jeff collectors on the spot, but although I no longer collect Jeffs, I have seen better, stronger Monticello strikes in lesser grades. In every other respect, the coin is outstanding [and if they ever catch the guy who vandalized the steps, I hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.]  Should any seasoned veteran feel my observation is unwarranted and/or heretical, I am prepared to be appear before the Star Chamber, if summoned.🐓 

On 10/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

At the risk of having the  entire membership rise up and eviscerate me, very publicly and embarrassingly -- and anyone who would entertain the thought, "Well, it's not against the Guidelines to comment in good faith, negatively or not," I hereby throw all caution to the wind and aver the following...

There is a special place in my ❤  for @Lem E his modest style, collection of coins, and introduction to @Buffalo Head's photography skills.  I don't know who photographed the 1961 Jefferson, but I am not sure it would make a difference.  I have withheld comment until I have had a sufficient opportunity to examine it [under possibly unlawful, according to @VKurtB's unarguable Law of the Magnification of Coins] and come to the conclusion that while the coin is deserving of an MS-67 grade in every respect, that does not extend to the very weakly struck stone pile with barely distinguishable architectural features.  I do not want to put any Jeff collectors on the spot, but although I no longer collect Jeffs, I have seen better, stronger Monticello strikes in lesser grades. In every other respect, the coin is outstanding [and if they ever catch the guy who vandalized the steps, I hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.]  Should any seasoned veteran feel my observation is unwarranted and/or heretical, I am prepared to be appear before the Star Chamber, if summoned.🐓 

The quality of Monticello’s strike is dependent on the quality of the hubs. The very early and very recent are both superior to the middle years. 

On 10/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Yes the 50s and 60s Jeffs were pretty terrible as a whole. They say the only thing worse than a 61 Nickel from Philly is a 61 Nickel from Denver. This is true in my collection as well. My 61 D is nowhere near this new 61 P. Sometimes things just are what they are. 

On 10/7/2021 at 2:54 PM, Outhaul said:

Collis restrikes in silver. Only 22 struck.

IMG_3060.thumb.jpg.67be1a45378bdd7a621be93e25b74943.jpgIMG_3061.thumb.jpg.bd7e3ff9e5482b3f21e156cb5fb6f1f7.jpg

I do not doubt for a moment that with only 22 examples extant, each ought to be worth trillions. But applying member Just Bob's belief that price and demand are inextricably linked what can one expect such pieces to fetch at an auction, or sale, should they become available to the average qualified bidder?

On 10/15/2021 at 2:22 AM, EARLY-COMMEM-HUNTER said:

Howdy!

I’ve been off these boards for a good decade and like so many I became rededicated to numismatics with my extra covid induced free time last year, so I’m back!!  Used a different handle back then and I can’t recall what it was. I always preferred this side of the street. Much more my speed and temperament here. 

Anyways, here’s one I picked up at a local show a few months ago. I’ve been really taking my time cherry picking superb eye appeal pieces when possible. VERY hard in this market indeed. 

Cheers!  
Rob

A9ED3FF4-6B47-4DDA-85C7-FFA75C90859B.jpeg

Lovely piece.

Welcome back!

On 10/29/2021 at 6:10 PM, Coinbuf said:

Nothing very special, this year I have been slowly filling in the blanks for the memorial Lincoln years.   Lots of empty slots still but here is one I just picked up.

1998obv.jpg

Slot filler or not, a 68 Red isn’t nothing to sneeze at. Nice one CB.