• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,889 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2022 at 7:02 PM, jtryka said:

And the last is an 1826 that I bought because I loved the toning, but I'm stumped on the attribution, as it has the alignment of T and I and die cracks of the O-113a, but is has the incomplete S in the motto of the O-117 (which doesn't note the die cracks on the reverse through United).  So I give up!

The star point/denticle alignment matches obverse 9, used on O-113 & 113a. The T/I alignment, and intrusion into the lower crossbars of the lines of the vertical stripes match reverse M, also used on O-113, and the die crack makes it 113a. Even though the incomplete "S" does not show on this coin, it does appear to show up on O-119, which used this same reverse die, and was next in the emission sequence. My vote goes to O-113a. 

Beautiful coins, by the way. :golfclap:

On 2/6/2022 at 5:35 PM, Coinbuf said:

So I have wanted a coin of this type for quite a while now, not a priority but one that I really did want.   I find the no star seated dime design to be so clean, uncluttered, and simple, just an elegant presentation of the design.   I was able to aquire this piece from a PCGS forum member on the BST ats, I think this is a very wholesome, unmolested coin with some a very original look to her.   In addition this was the first year of operation for the New Orleans mint, which adds that little bit extra coolness factor for me.  So here she is, an 1838 - O no stars seated dime, PCGS XF45.  Photos courtesy of the seller, a bit lighter in hand then the photos suggest with a touch more color.

1838o obv.jpg

1838o rev.jpg

Good looking coin CB. Nice and clean with original skin. I like the tone on it. Congrats.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:29 PM, Lem E said:

Thats a beauty. How are you going to be able to stop yourself from trying to keep everything for your own collection? To me, that would be the tough part.

Welcome to my current hell 😂

Thats my problem. Some things I’ll list for sale, but it will be at a price someone has to talk me out of it. If it sits there I am perfectly ok with that. 

On 2/10/2022 at 4:41 PM, Coinbuf said:

From the photos I would say that is a proof.

DANG! Just read your comment. Thanks Coinbuf!  I was having a hard time telling due to the lighting in the second set of pics which gives the fields that glossy look.  I'm thinking the defined rim is also giveaway here?? 

Edited by GBrad

On 2/10/2022 at 2:23 PM, GBrad said:

Hey guys.... Been off the forum for a few weeks now, but hopefully I'll be back on more frequently now.  Wasn't sure where to post this one so I'll start here for some much needed advice regarding grade.  I don't own it "yet" but I'm seriously contemplating it IF it is not a proof which I'm on the fence about it being.  If it is a proof then completely disregard anything else in this post and just tell me it's a proof, end of story and my decision is made. My honest thoughts are that it is in too good of condition NOT to be a proof.  

I've done some research on this year and mint Jefferson with FS which this one has.  Even low MS examples seem to be pretty dang pricey, as well as AU's too, once again "IF" it's not a proof which I wouldn't consider purchasing.  To me, (which I'm probably wrong) I am seeing this one as MS condition, possibly even in the mid to high side.  Aside from one mark under the jawline, I am not seeing anything else distracting on this one.  These are all the pics I have at the moment but should be able to get more if needed. Nickels drive me nuts when it comes to grades.  Lincolns, IMO, are a different breed and much easier for me to assign a close grade to when raw. If I am way off base here on thinking this is MS, then by all means correct me (which I know you will, ain't got to worry about that which I actually like.... haha) Thanks for any comments on this one.  

259736115_1149809229096252_3901934716826723872_n.jpg

262202745_4693421604117445_7988328068078149218_n.jpg

272710111_3060927144176452_2077190238856860631_n.jpg

272315193_1908605476007314_2033955300705404383_n.jpg

I agree. Proof.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:32 PM, Lem E said:

I agree. Proof.

The Judge and jury have spoken!  A proof it is!  Thank you @Lem E and @Coinbuf for your truly valued analysis for me.  I really appreciate you guys taking a look.  If only it wasn't a proof....... hmmmmm🤔. With that said, am I correct in saying that this one appears to be Mint State from a grading perspective?  (Just asking for my own sanity). And no sir, I'm not buying a proof.  Thanks!

On 2/10/2022 at 4:22 PM, GBrad said:

The Judge and jury have spoken!  A proof it is!  Thank you @Lem E and @Coinbuf for your truly valued analysis for me.  I really appreciate you guys taking a look.  If only it wasn't a proof....... hmmmmm🤔. With that said, am I correct in saying that this one appears to be Mint State from a grading perspective?  (Just asking for my own sanity). And no sir, I'm not buying a proof.  Thanks!

A proof cannot be given an MS grade, it can be given a PF grade lower than 60, but not an MS grade.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, Coinbuf said:

A proof cannot be given an MS grade, it can be given a PF grade lower than 60, but not an MS grade.

Right...... what was I thinking....... duh me.   It would read PF **....

On 2/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, BillJones said:

I had been looking for a nice, but reasonably affordable example of the 1795 Bust Dollar with the bust of Liberty set too far to the left. It is believed that this was the first Draped Bust coin die that was prepared. I found this one on the Internet and purchased it from the dealer who was offering it. It's graded VF-35. 

1795 Off Center Bust Dol O.jpg

1795 Off Center Bust Dol R.jpg

WoW!!  She's a beaut @BillJones!!  👍🏻👍🏻

On 2/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, Coinbuf said:

Not really sure why I bought this coin, I already have one in MS64 so I surely did not need this undergrade MS63 coin.  (shrug)   But I thought it looked nice with some pretty but now overwhelming tone to it, I think I'll send it off to CAC and hope for a gold bean. :)   I am not a fan of trueviews but that is all I have for the moment.   1935-S, the mintmark is not well defined and looks as much like a D mintmark as an S.

1935qs.jpg

You're right, you really don't need that coin.  It's a terrible looking coin.  Send it to me!  :roflmao: