• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,889 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2021 at 10:51 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@The Neophyte Numismatist ... find yourself a new moniker worthy of your new status. (thumbsu    😉 

Thanks for your kind words.  There are collectors and dealers on this forum that will forget more about coins than I will ever know.  My moniker is safe :grin:

On 12/2/2021 at 3:26 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Very nice Lem E. He gonna look good in amongst the rest of those beauties. 

Thanks Hog. Appreciate it brother.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:43 AM, scopru said:

Beautiful nickel for sure.  Stunning looking example that I am sure the eye appeal it has in hand is far more impressive.

Thank you. It is a dandy in hand.

Thanks again for the comments.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Heres another one down and one step closer to completing my set. Still got a long way to go.  I won it in an Ebay auction today. When it comes in, it will be #39 out of 85. Got a long ways to go. Hopefully I can complete it within the next couple years. Maybe sooner.  Ive had a great time trying to put this set together. Polish_20211203_213455351.thumb.jpg.7f59ecbe15c57e928399521f041979ea.jpgPolish_20211203_213552013.jpg.4f9e2edee2a15fe6daaeb2aa9ac25652.jpg

Nice one brother. Keep growing that collection. 

@Hoghead515

You've done very well here!  To paraphrase Virgil, the poet... "Smooth the descent, and easy is the way," to compiling a type collection.  But to insist on excellence or patiently await a suitable upgrade as you have so masterfully done..."In this the task and mighty labor lies."  When I allowed that my original intention was to compile a quality collection of 16 you-know-whats in 90 days in one of my earliest posts, our globe-trotting, on-site commentator VKurtB let out a snicker that was audible in all 50 states. Little did I know that mine was but a pipe dream.  Keep on keeping on Hog. You're halfway there already! And as the Good Book says, "....let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Great catch! Great grade!  👍 

@EdG_Ohio

I showed photos of your coin to my wife, a U.S. citizen born elsewhere and the question she asked bespoke of her total unfamiliarity with our coinage:  "How come we never get one of these in change?" I believe having seen Buffalo Head nickels posted by others on this thread, she confused the color of yours with theirs.  

You've done very well with your acquisition. I would be curious to know if, unlike the nickel, the various gold denominations have reeded edges.  (thumbsu

On 12/7/2021 at 10:41 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@EdG_Ohio

I showed photos of your coin to my wife, a U.S. citizen born elsewhere and the question she asked bespoke of her total unfamiliarity with our coinage:  "How come we never get one of these in change?" I believe having seen Buffalo Head nickels posted by others on this thread, she confused the color of yours with theirs.  

You've done very well with your acquisition. I would be curious to know if, unlike the nickel, the various gold denominations have reeded edges.  (thumbsu

From what I've read so far a reeded edge has been used off and on through U.S. Mint history for some time now, most recent is the U.S. mints AGE 1oz 2021 coin. Main reasoning behind past practices is to help thwart trimming the AU from edges and counterfeiting.
I have to admit I'd have to research more on the various types this was done to in previous years starting in the very late 1700's.

@EdG_Ohio

Actually my question pertained to your coin, and by extension to all gold Buffalo fractional denominations minted in this century. It seems they do -- and I have since learned there are gold Buffalo nickels for sale, which I assume are unreeded, gold-plated, bullion strikes.  

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing (coherency)

On 12/8/2021 at 4:34 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@EdG_Ohio

Actually my question pertained to your coin, and by extension to all gold Buffalo fractional denominations minted in this century. It seems they do -- and I have since learned there are gold Buffalo nickels for sale, which I assume are gold-plated.  

My apologies I misread, yes, my particular coin does have a reeded edge although difficult to see in this Anacs holder. I may have it re-plasticized but not a huge priority.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:25 PM, EdG_Ohio said:

After selling 31 coins recently

I somehow feel like I helped contribute to your beautiful new Buffalo acquisition. :nyah: I'm the proud new owner of one of your GC coins. A beautiful blazing Lincoln might I add!! Thanks!!(thumbsu

On 12/12/2021 at 9:08 PM, Coinbuf said:

Drop dead gorgeous Merc there @Lem E, love that coin.   A very early strike on both dies, really hammered; MS68?  ^^ 

Thanks CB but nope. That there is a 65FB. The seller claims its a DDO (Coneca DDO-004) and not recognized by NGC. I really don’t care if it is or not and I haven't looked it up. It’s actually quite PL with some nice color underneath. Pics make it look flat but you know how that goes.

Wow I'm surprised that seems very under graded from what I see, maybe the luster is not as strong as I am thinking.   I cannot imagine a better strike, my MS67 FB example is not quite as crisp as your coin.   No matter the grade in this case it is a wonderful coin and I look forward to seeing Joe's images.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

Wow I'm surprised that seems very under graded from what I see, maybe the luster is not as strong as I am thinking.   I cannot imagine a better strike, my MS67 FB example is not quite as crisp as your coin.   No matter the grade in this case it is a wonderful coin and I look forward to seeing Joe's images.

Obverse luster is much better than the reverse which is what I’m assuming held it down. I’d say more shine than luster on the obverse. When I get away from my Jeffs, grade takes a back seat to eye appeal. Joe will work his magic on it. Thanks again my friend.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:40 PM, Lem E said:

Obverse luster is much better than the reverse which is what I’m assuming held it down. I’d say more shine than luster on the obverse. When I get away from my Jeffs, grade takes a back seat to eye appeal. Joe will work his magic on it. Thanks again my friend.

Please don't take offense... but let the CrazyHoundDog neutralize both the Lucky Strike button mark on the position at 10 and the Pepsi-Cola at 5, and resubmit if for our valid criticism and amusement.   😉 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing; typo.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:44 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Please don't take offense... but let the CrazyHoundDog neutralize both the Lucky Strike button mark on the position at 10 and the Pepsi-Cola at 5, and resubmit if for our valid criticism and amusement.   😉 

It’s in the works QA (thumbsu

On 11/24/2021 at 12:34 AM, Lem E said:

I bought these coins from an online dealer not knowing they were all related. All 3 are from the same older submission. #s 009 - 019 - 021. All 3 look very similar and are very flashy coins showing light rainbow toning. Very pleased with this purchase and Joe performed his usual magic touch.

1943S JEFF COMBINE.JPG

1945D JEFF COMBINE.JPG

1945S JEFF 2 COMBINE.JPG

You have a VERY impressive collection my friend.  After seeing these under my lens I am bowled over with the strikes and great beauty they possess.  Congratulations