Post your most recent acquisition: US
16 16

20,547 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2021 at 8:00 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I needed a V Nickel (with cents) for my Type Set, and I liked this one:

V_Obverse.jpg.dba1c276709eb8ec2826fe3b412d846d.jpgs-l1600-8.jpg.59b0d3b30d5d6e8e63a821bc0711f46c.jpg

This is the most beautiful "wee niggle" I have ever seen in my life!  I don't want to know what the grade is because if there is even a hint of imperfection, I do not see it, and I don't want to know where it is. You made my year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1803 $1 Small 3, B-3, BB-256, R.5,

is what i aquired. Would anybody like to get one of these. I know there are like 15. Out there. And that it. Real ones.  Not flate bloomers from the 30's. And .. So on. A true 1803. Proof. Has more real history in the lieniege of this coin then i learned in high school history. Labeyta2002@ gmail.com. talk to me

20211223_201834.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2021 at 7:01 PM, LearoyAbeyta said:

1803 $1 Small 3, B-3, BB-256, R.5,

is what i aquired. Would anybody like to get one of these. I know there are like 15. Out there. And that it. Real ones.  Not flate bloomers from the 30's. And .. So on. A true 1803. Proof. Has more real history in the lieniege of this coin then i learned in high school history. Labeyta2002@ gmail.com. talk to me

20211223_201834.jpg

🐓:  Don't take the bait!

Q.A.:  I ordered a 1903 French 20-franc gold rooster graded MS-67, or higher, if available. Oui? Non?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 6:32 PM, Woods020 said:

I got these pretty ladies in the mail today. Thanks @cactusjack55 

If anyone was considering buying any of the other coins in the collection he inherited buy with confidence. Very easy transaction, fast shipping and packed well. 

1DEEB3B8-F9BD-4837-93A8-2CEE6B707C96.jpeg

I’ll bet those are some beauties. Nice grabs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[Did they ever catch the guy who polished away the Denver mintmark? :roflmao:  Very love coin. Superb photography, as usual!]  🐓 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 8:35 PM, Woods020 said:

I’m curious Lem, have you completed your amazing Jefferson set and upgrading or are you still lacking a few? I know your set is a sight to behold just from the ones you’ve posted over the years on here. 

Thanks brother. I think I am around 10 shy from completing the 38-64 set. This is one I did not have. I have upgraded several slots though. Still looking for a few hard ones like the 49P and some 50s and 60s pieces. It gets hard to find decent looking coins in the later years. Not to mention, they start getting real pricey for not so eye appealing coins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, Lem E said:

Thanks brother. I think I am around 10 shy from completing the 38-64 set. This is one I did not have. I have upgraded several slots though. Still looking for a few hard ones like the 49P and some 50s and 60s pieces. It gets hard to find decent looking coins in the later years. Not to mention, they start getting real pricey for not so eye appealing coins. 

I hear you. And full steps in the 60s is a tough venture in general, much less eye appealing. You are well on your way though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 8:47 PM, Woods020 said:

I hear you. And full steps in the 60s is a tough venture in general, much less eye appealing. You are well on your way though 

It’s hard to pay the money for some of these later year coins. Most of them are just terrible looking. I will admit I have a few that I am not super proud of, but some years are just rough. Especially after seeing nice 30s coins and the war nickels. A lot of them are great looking pieces and then along comes the 50s and 60s. Some are lucky to have one step. Some are lucky to have a porch at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 10:13 PM, Lem E said:

.... Some are lucky to have one step. Some are lucky to have a porch at all.

This is true. Just curious, coming from a time when steps, or lack thereof, were never noticed or mentioned, who discovered this phenomenon?  I would be willing to bet it was a numismatic fanatic armed with a high-powered lens.  Or this anomaly, one of many revenue-producing streams was "discovered" with the advent of TPGS? I believe this phenomenon was not "discovered" until the 1980's or 1990's.  It was unknown in the earliest years as were all the other acronyms. All you heard about was "copper" cents, 7 or 8 tails, doubled dies and small letters vs. large letters. When you come right down to it, it would seem there would a greater profusion of such coins in the annual proof series sets, No?

In Oldhoopster-speak, when was the first mention of Full Steps made, and by whom and where? I am guessing in periodical coin magazines or newspapers, like Coin World.   🤔 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What happened to all the vetted, credentialed, numismatists with "150 years' experience" in this single area of expertise?  Cat got your tongue?   🐓 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2022 at 9:08 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

This is true. Just curious, coming from a time when steps, or lack thereof, were never noticed or mentioned, who discovered this phenomenon?  I would be willing to bet it was a numismatic fanatic armed with a high-powered lens.  Or this anomaly, one of many revenue-producing streams was "discovered" with the advent of TPGS? I believe this phenomenon was not "discovered" until the 1980's or 1990's.  It was unknown in the earliest years as were all the other acronyms. All you heard about was "copper" cents, 7 or 8 tails, doubled dies and small letters vs. large letters. When you come right down to it, it would seem there would a greater profusion of such coins in the annual proof series sets, No?

In Oldhoopster-speak, when was the first mention of Full Steps made, and by whom and where? I am guessing in periodical coin magazines or newspapers, like Coin World.   🤔 

I’m not sure when the steps became a thing of interest, but I believe the first group to get into the full step nickels was P.A.K. From what I have read, this club was started in 1977 by 3 members. Philip Petrillo - Adolph Weiss - Karl Nenninger. The initials of their first names created the P.A.K. They put out a grading guide in 1979 for full step nickels. I’m not saying this is all correct or verified. This is just some info I have come across. Others may be able to elaborate more on this subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 8:57 PM, Lem E said:

I got something in the mail today myself. Nice little 50 Philly. Nice all over champagne tone with some die cracks. Not bad for a 1950 P.3C206136-31DE-4033-81B5-DB37D9B12519.thumb.jpeg.8ba25537f020b5b7e013f873dca72857.jpegCC258BC3-69A0-4CF0-BBFE-5D884FD0BC56.thumb.jpeg.f9a0da42bdf458ed31390a166893d659.jpegB4EEDD9F-FE1E-4CB9-89C9-2D606BD44091.thumb.jpeg.9b2ca51d7b3e877f239ab36c29dfcc5a.jpeg

Definitely not.  1950-P nickels typically look pretty bad, even in mint state.  Yours is definitely appealing and of premium quality for the issue, I'd say.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 5:57 PM, Lem E said:

I got something in the mail today myself. Nice little 50 Philly. Nice all over champagne tone with some die cracks. Not bad for a 1950 P.3C206136-31DE-4033-81B5-DB37D9B12519.thumb.jpeg.8ba25537f020b5b7e013f873dca72857.jpegCC258BC3-69A0-4CF0-BBFE-5D884FD0BC56.thumb.jpeg.f9a0da42bdf458ed31390a166893d659.jpegB4EEDD9F-FE1E-4CB9-89C9-2D606BD44091.thumb.jpeg.9b2ca51d7b3e877f239ab36c29dfcc5a.jpeg

That’s as cool as the underside of my pillow😎😎

Extremely nice addition my brother👌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2022 at 7:41 PM, Buffalo Head said:

Just want to show off what my friend Lem E has done for me and my collection, well, some of it.  It would take a month of Sunday to do it all.  But I can tell you I am absolutely thrilled with how my coins can be displayed now.

A BIG shout out to you my brother👍
 

Thank you for looking and happy hunting


 

 

852E535B-961D-453D-BFD3-360079152A05.jpeg

8F859969-77A9-4525-BB0A-8B0C588579E8.jpeg

A2BA76D5-6FF2-46E0-928A-CD3E6A48E1BE.jpeg

6E09DF7C-D2C3-45C8-82E5-B743FC48E88C.jpeg

F2712727-53DF-44C7-B912-197A49BB719C.jpeg

4C6AD8F2-E4C2-4529-A665-CB3B96E4DB1D.jpeg

DB49B02D-D1A1-403B-864C-C7A948ED008F.jpeg

980E6B9A-474A-41BD-AF93-9EF89304CE4A.jpeg

1F56D5BC-945F-4E80-A788-15FC85770D69.jpeg

Thank you my friend, and it is a pleasure to do these for you and get a chance to see all of these amazing coins from your collection. I don’t consider it work at all. My part is easy. You do all the hard work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2022 at 7:41 PM, Buffalo Head said:

Just want to show off what my friend Lem E has done for me and my collection, well, some of it.  It would take a month of Sundays to do it all.  But I can tell you I am absolutely thrilled with how my coins can be displayed now.

A BIG shout out to you my brother👍
 

Thank you for looking and happy hunting


 

 

852E535B-961D-453D-BFD3-360079152A05.jpeg

8F859969-77A9-4525-BB0A-8B0C588579E8.jpeg

A2BA76D5-6FF2-46E0-928A-CD3E6A48E1BE.jpeg

6E09DF7C-D2C3-45C8-82E5-B743FC48E88C.jpeg

F2712727-53DF-44C7-B912-197A49BB719C.jpeg

4C6AD8F2-E4C2-4529-A665-CB3B96E4DB1D.jpeg

DB49B02D-D1A1-403B-864C-C7A948ED008F.jpeg

980E6B9A-474A-41BD-AF93-9EF89304CE4A.jpeg

1F56D5BC-945F-4E80-A788-15FC85770D69.jpeg

Stunning. That’s all I can say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, EdG_Ohio said:

Upgraded a 1959 50c for my registry, birth year, from a ms63 to ms66. Waiting on confirmation from our host to add.
A few more upgrades, I hope, in the wings. :wishluck:
Have a Great day All !
 

1959.50c.ms66.obv.Lg_copy_600x800[1].jpg

1959.50c.ms66.rev.Lg_copy_600x800[1].jpg

Very nice upgrade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Buffalo Head

Exceptional coin!  And a superb display of photographic skills! I would have no problem buying a coin literally sight-unseen, solely on the strength of your photography. Top-notch, great stuff! 👍 🐓 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
16 16