• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,338 posts in this topic

Yarm,

Quite an interesting medal. Are you able to see any evidence of the underlying coin details? Keep us posted as you find out more about it.

Here is my newest aquisition from a fellow forum member (Thanks Gary).

1875 Belgium 5 Francs with raised edge lettering as well. Nice old coin with that appeal I like.

Rey

1875Belgium5FrancsObv.jpg

1875Belgium5FrancsRev.jpg

Doogy, that fella does look vaguely familiar!

Got my 50th anniversary token/medal dated 1809 and posted as a possilbe overstrike. Only 25 mm and 1 mm thick. Rather than being struck over another coin or medal,

it appears that the 1809 date was originally punched in the center but then was repunched to leave more room for the words ("THE" is now in the center).

1809GeorgeIII5oth00027cropped-1.jpg

Doogy, that fella does look vaguely familiar!

Got my 50th anniversary token/medal dated 1809 and posted as a possilbe overstrike. Only 25 mm and 1 mm thick. Rather than being struck over another coin or medal,

it appears that the 1809 date was originally punched in the center but then was repunched to leave more room for the words ("THE" is now in the center).

1809GeorgeIII5oth00027cropped-1.jpg

What do you think of the trippled F ?

that is a very strange repunch yarm i wonder if you could find a one with the 1809 still in the center ?

Dooley,

Where do find these interesting coins, that F is a good one, like the overall look of the coin, nice one.

Yarm,

That one is definitely interesting with the 1809 remnants in the center. I would not be surprised if there was some more hidden secrets on that piece somewhere. It would be interesting to find some sort of reference to this somewhere.

Crito,

I really like that first Peruvian Solas, the middle coin, good ones.

Rey

Edited by rbrown4

Ok I'm back :cloud9:

Picked up this beauty recently, 1880/70 Sovereign. Very Rare new variety. Came with a sale ticket from 1991 for 280 Pounds (!) see images, graded almost EF, ex B Linder collection. Spink 3856A means WW buried

Unlisted in my Spink 2006 ?? theres a 1880/70 for each other type, but not for this obverse (WW buried)

Anyone know more, or who B Linder is/was ?

1880-obverse.jpg

1880-reverse.jpg

ticket1.jpg

ticket2.jpg

Raresov,

Very nice coin, I looked to find something about B. Linder but could not. Did find that a B. Linder was or perhaps still is an auctioneer of coins though.

Here is my latest, 1986 Commemorative of the Trans Canada Railway.

Rey

1986VancouverRailroadObv.jpg

1986VancouverRailroadRev.jpg

Ran into a buzz saw on EBay last week, so my moon money bids were only good enough for 1 of the 3 tokens I was after.

Nevertheless, it's an interesting one depicting animals Pidcock actually exhibited.

MergedMiddlesex422.jpg

The Pidcocks imported exotic animals and exhibitied them to the public for a fee in a 3 story building

called the Exeter 'Change. Judging by the depiction of animals on some Conder tokens

(a Coventry token has an elephant with long claws!?), many Brits of the late 1700's had never seen

many of the animals on display. The Pidcock's produced their tokens as advertising "tickets" for the menagerie.

I've completely given up Liteside and Greyside coin collecting in favor of Darkside material.

The variety and value are just too compelling (but, of course, I'm "preaching to the choir!")

Here's a medal issued as peace between Britain and France was being negotiated in 1801.

The seller's pictures suggest it might use a bit of acetone.

MergedBHM514.jpg

This looked like a really cool design, so I bought it. It's a 1774 German (Mansfeld-Bornstedt) 1/2 Taler minted in Prague. The surfaces are highly prooflike with the relief in cameo.

It just graded MS65PL at NGC.

1774mansfeld-bornstedt.jpg