• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

My competitive instincts got the better of me this evening when I bid on and won (by $.67) this silver dollar size award medal.

74e1_1_b.jpg

This is the third such oddball item in the last few weeks. Paypal sent me a note after the auction reminding me that I was running out of purchasing power. Maybe that's a good thing!

Edited by yarm

Irvin, nice Hudson Medal. Just think if you had the automobile as well.

Here is a Russian Coin that I already had one of and found that my Dad was using this other one for a paperweight on his desk.

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

It is about the diameter of a US silver dollar and between 1/8th and 1/4 inch thick, very heavy.

I believe it is a 2 Kopecks.

Even more interesting is that he used to carry an 8 Reale 2 bit piece for good luck and it is now lost under the seat of their car, has been for 10 years. I will find it someday.

Rey

Edited by rbrown4

Rey, my dad owned owned a car of that vintage with a huge chrome bumper that my brother and I could sit on with room to spare!

The Russian piece looks to be 5 kopecks. They are quite collectible. Heck, I bought one just for the neat edge!

5Kopecks1793000142.jpg

Yarm,

You correct it is a 5 Kopecks. Mine is so worn that the edge is barely noticeable but it is quite interesting.

Nice finds all this one landed from Aus today....its getting a little closer to home 893applaud-thumb.gif

1786673-CAN.jpg

1786673-CANa.jpg

could be a candadate for my set ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1786673-CANa.jpg.282647a076362426886d2d9ebadc2a00.jpg

Edited by dooly

Dooley,

Nice Canadian Five Cents. thumbsup2.gif There are two varieties to this year 1880 H. The difference is in the hair to the side of the ear, but I can not tell from the pics which it is.

F2-Hair to the side of the ear has a slight S curl to the braid. F3- The hair to the side of the ear curves up and is then flat to the ear. Big difference in value. The F2 variety can be 3 to 4 times as much in most grades F through AU. I am guessing this is EF/XF??

Wish it were mine.

Rey

Thanks for the information rey hear is it a lot closer for you thumbsup2.gif

1786829-ear.jpg

1786829-ear.jpg.1f783e358f6f7c84373090f01d062ce4.jpg

Edited by dooly

Dooley,

Sorry but I can not determine which it is. Have not seen enough to tell the difference. Perhaps someone else can.

Rey

Love that Crystal Palace medal yarm! Especially the obverse.

From the detail on the left over her head, this would seem to match the smaller medals rather than the larger one. What is the diameter of this?

Congrats on a beautiful piece!

The photographic medal is 41mm vs the 63mm for the 1854 medal I have. What are the "smaller medals" to which you referred?

Hi yarm, I saw a large and small one posted ATS in the US Coin Forum but can't find the thread now. I believe the images were posted by coindeuce and that the smaller one also had a depiction of the building.

Picked this Waterloo up today. After I saw the one that Maulemall found, I went on a quest. From the Royal Mint, one of 2500.

Rey

A430-050607171.jpg

A430-05060717a.jpg

It was time to buy the book!

Pinches.jpg

I'm still looking for British Historical Medals II which covers the Victorian period, but this will tide me over.

I received the Waterloo Medal in the mail today. Maulemall was not kidding when he said I would be surprised at the heft of the piece. These pictures show the toning much better and also shows the size next to a Franklin Half.

Produced from reductions of the original Waterloo medal dies engraved by Benedetto Pistucci between 1819 and 1849. The original dies were engraved at a diameter of 137 mm and consisted of an inner and outer part. They took thirty years to complete, but were considered too lare to be safely hardened for striking. It was commissioned to commemorate the efforts of the victorious Allied forces at the Battles of Les Quartre Bras adn Waterloo. The diameter of this piece is 63 mm.

The obverse is an allusion to the Treaty of Peace resulting from the battle of Waterloo. The central portion of the design depicts the busts of the four allied sovereigns of the period; Prince Regent (later George IV), Francis II of Austria, Alexander I of Russia and Frederick William II of Prussia. A number of mythical figures, among them Apollo the Themis, appear around the circumference of the medal. The central group on the reverse consists of two classical equestrian figures who bear the features of the Duke of Wellington and Field Marshal Von Blucher, the Prussion leader. Between them appears the representation of a flying victory and, above, the imposing figure of Jupiter. A composition of many figures representing the Battle of the Giants forms a border around the inner part of the design. The nineteen figures, tumbling from theri assuult on heaven, represent the confusion of the defeated enemy and the nineteen years suration of the Napooleonic Wars. .925 Silver, 63 mm and one of 2500 struck by the Royal Mint.

Rey

WaterlooObv.jpg

waterlooRev.jpg

waterloosize.jpg

MergedCoffeetokenProject.jpg

Issued in 1881 by Steuart & Co. for the Wekande Mills (Slave Island) coffee plantation. I tracked one down after an example was posted ATS (tho I'm still looking for my own Waterloo medal ! :)

Yarm,

That one is interesting. What was the purpose of the medal being issued.

I will keep my eye out for the Waterloo. I will see if the dealer I got this that one from has any access to others.

Rey

Edited by rbrown4