• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

Just in from NGC.. that mule.. and an idea I had to showcase it :cloud9:

For those who haven't seen them side by side, here is the 10c and $1 from a mint set, the mule coin is made from the 10c on the $1 blank causing a double rim from the oversized blank/collar

muleset1.jpg

muleset2.jpg

About 6000 were minted, apparently by mistake. None are known in BU, like the MS65 sort of condition from the mint set. Have seen one with marks that came from a mint bag, and looked MS62 at best

Most seemed to have been found near Perth. I don't know, but didn't Perth mint stop minting coins around then ? maybe they made the mistake.

Royal Australian Mint in Canberra mints all our circulation coins, have done for some time. I just can't remember how far back it was when they took over all circulation duties

Perth mint now just mints (mostly)

Tokens (medallions) were issued by two militias in Cornwall, England during the 1790's

as fears of a French invasion mounted. This first one was commissioned by the officers of the

Falmouth Independent Volunteers and simply features the Arms of Falmouth and an inscription.

This is in contrast to the token issued by the Penryn Independent Volunteers a few years earlier.

That one featured both the Arms of Penryn and the Arms of the Baron de Dunstanville

who commanded the militia. It's good to be a Baron!

MergedCornwall3.jpg

MergedCornwallPenryn4.jpg

I always liked the look of some of the 18th century French jetons, but could

never navigate the French auction process. It appears I won this one by

Lorthior for the Countess d'Aumont in today's Stacks' auction at a small fraction

of what a perfect "roosie" dime might command. ;)

MergedJeton3.jpg

Amazing looking piece and sounds like you acquired at a very reasonable price, congratulations. Some day I would love the chance to view you collection in person.

Rey

Alas, several hours after the auction closed, I was the apparent winner but not now.

Pity. :(

There was a happy ending after all. I couldn't resist bidding on this papal medal

which features a river god (?!) and Stacks' has confirmed it's mine! :grin:

Mazio624.jpg

Edited by yarm

Well its Xmas Eve and Santa gave me one of my presents early but BAH HUM BUG. I have been unable to open my Photobucket completely all evening so I can not upload the images. ARGGGHHHH. Three "special" Gold Sovereigns. I will post when I can.

Well I can now post them.

Two Gold Sovereign Cuff Links that my Dad wore 1913 and 1914 and 1 1914 Half Sovereign Tie Clasp.

Rey

rcufflinkan8.jpg

lcufflinklt4.jpg

tieclasplj1.jpg

Edited by rbrown4

Well its Xmas Eve and Santa gave me one of my presents early but BAH HUM BUG. I have been unable to open my Photobucket completely all evening so I can not upload the images. ARGGGHHHH. Three "special" Gold Sovereigns. I will post when I can.

Well I can now post them.

Two Gold Sovereign Cuff Links that my Dad wore 1913 and 1914 and 1 1914 Half Sovereign Tie Clasp.

Rey

rcufflinkan8.jpg

lcufflinklt4.jpg

tieclasplj1.jpg

Not the best images but here they are. In hand the Sovereigns are a very bright Gold Color. I know coins and jewelry don't mix but these are special.

Rey

Seems like a common way to commemorate a meeting between heads of state was

this sort of medal in white metal with facing heads. Couldn't find this one in Brown's BHM's.

Merged1855.jpg

White medal tends to "gray" on the high points and this piece has

an unfortunate hit on Victoria's neck. Nevertheless, it's nice to pick

up a cool medal without breaking the bank!

I don't believe so, but I could write most of what I know about groats on a groat, so to speak. I'm learning, though! You can make out the rest of the missing Cs; they're just faint. I think it's strike related weakness.

White medal tends to "gray" on the high points and this piece has

an unfortunate hit on Victoria's neck. Nevertheless, it's nice to pick

up a cool medal without breaking the bank!

Yarm could you PM me what something like that would cost, or post it.