• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,325 posts in this topic

My understanding is that the Steuert Co had issued counterstamped tokens as wages previously buy recalled them and issued the token posted for the same purpose.

Looks like the Waterloo was struck by both Pinches/Franklin and the Royal Mint. I wonder if both were in the 63 mm size?

There was actually a Pinches one on Ebay the day that I found the Royal Mint one as well. I stopped bidding on the Pinches after I spoke with the seller of the Royal Mint one on the phone (a dealer). I called with questions and he answered them and was very kind so I went that direction.

I think they were both 63 mm is size.

I originally picked up two of these, one for me and one for Pendragon (Michael). Both coins had an abrasion on the obverse I missed during my initial examination. Well, I picked this one up at a local dealer. It has far more lustre than the first one. Sorry Michael, this was the last one in his case. If he gets more, I'll let you know.

1796622-2007Britannia.jpgcloud9.gif

Scott acclaim.gif

1796622-2007Britannia.jpg.8d99692dd76abb9a775a6562e6bd7625.jpg

Very Nice Canadian Dollar there. When you indicatee "cased" what exactly are you referring to.

Do you collect Canadian Coins?

Tbanks

Rey

The Canadian dollar came in a black leatherette case which I took to be that of original issue.

I've got a few Canadian coins but have concentrated on the pre-confederation tokens.

Some RCM OGP are known for producing a certain kind of desirable toning and those boxes have been used to tone other coins in addition to the ones that came with the box originally. "Cased" may be used to indicate the type of toning.

I'm already waiting for the following things to appear on EBay. wink.gif

"Monster toned pre-issue dollars!!"

"Glueable mint marks. All sizes and metals! For personal use only."

Now I can add....

"Empty RCM case by Mega-Platinum Power Seller. Guaranteed to produce lovely yellow toning on the periphery with blue highlights on the devices. Can be used again and again! Watch my listings for other color combinations."

Some RCM OGP are known for producing a certain kind of desirable toning and those boxes have been used to tone other coins in addition to the ones that came with the box originally. "Cased" may be used to indicate the type of toning.

The 1971 to 1973 cases with original foam can make some nice toners, but only if stored in just the right conditions.

MergedWarwickshire38a2.jpg

............................Rey, according to the seller, the gilt medal depicts "Town Hall" in Brussels! (really?) What attracted me to it was the steeple and clouds similar to this Conder token of St. Michael's church, London.

All very nice and the clouds in addition to the semi darkness of the sky below the clouds and above the structure caught my eye. Not a gloomy scene but one with some feeling in my opinion. Something about it.

Rey

MergedWarwickshire38a2.jpg

............................Rey, according to the seller, the gilt medal depicts "Town Hall" in Brussels! (really?) What attracted me to it was the steeple and clouds similar to this Conder token of St. Michael's church, London.

Yarm - That is the Town Hall in Brussels. I recognised it immediately. It's located on the Grand Plaza (Gran Plas) in the heart of Brussels. The Gran Plas is a great place to have an outstanding Belgium beer and watch people!

Outstanding token BTW! hail.gif

Yarm - That is the Town Hall in Brussels. I recognised it immediately. It's located on the Grand Plaza (Gran Plas) in the heart of Brussels. The Gran Plas is a great place to have an outstanding Belgium beer and watch people!

Outstanding token BTW! hail.gif

That is a beautiful token yarm 893applaud-thumb.gif Nice info farthing! thumbsup2.gif

Recently I've taken a liking to including some descriptive text with the image when it might be useful. I was thinking it might be useful to include the town hall text with image for this token. Here's an example with period flags of China in the corners.

China-Kwangtung_1909-11_S20C_Dragon_600x380_blk.jpg

Well, I was going through more of my Father's collection and found some medals and tokens. This was one of the nicer ones and low and behold it is a Cathedral.

A little history.

The Cathedral Church of St. John The Divinity of New York City.

It is the mother church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York and the seat of its Bishop. Originally chartered in 1873. Designed after a contest between 68 architects. 1956 Martin Luther King preaches for the second anniversary of Brown versus Board of Education. In 1954 The Great Organ expands from 5000 to 8035 pipes. The state trumpets are placed 500 feet from the organ console. 1074 Duke Ellingtons funeral attended by 12,500 Mourners. 1976 Ravi Shankar performs an all night concert of Ragas. Big Bird and the Muppets pay tribute to creator Jim Henson at his services. 1993 Memorial services for Dizzie Gillespie. 1997, 14,000 attend service for Princess Diana. 2001 hundreds spontaneously take refuge at the Cathedral following the attacks.

Rey

CathedralChurchofSt.jpg

CathedralChurchofSt-1.jpg

Came across this 1874 B German 1 Mark and can only find values for F and AU grades of $8.00 and $225.00 respectively. I am not very familiar with the German coinage so can anyone provide me with their input on apparent grade and if you have a source for other values please provide.

Rey

1874B1MarkObv.jpg

1874B1MarkRev.jpg

Nice scotty yarm

glad to see you are back spending the pennys hi.gif

one day i will start posting some of my condors/tokens 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Apparently Belgium has some pretty elaborate town halls! MergedLeuventownhall.jpg

I'm guessing this silvered bronze medal has been thoroughly scrubbed a time or two.

Nevertheless I'm on my way to a complete "set"! ;)

Picked up from a fellow member here, Thanks Roman,

Part of an 8 Coin Proof Set - Canadian Coins are hard to beat when it comes to detail and Cameo appearance.

2006canada1d.jpg

I picked up numerous foreign coins today from a local gentleman. This piece was mixed in among them. My initial instincts tell me that it is not genuine, however I do not have the expertise nor knowledge of these type coins to determine for sure. (not to worry, it didn't cost me anything essentially based on the cost of the entire batch of coins)

Any ideas or suggestions on how I can determine it's authenticity or lack thereof?

I am going through the other coins and will likely post some on here with questions.

Thanks,

Rey

UnknownObv-1.jpg

UnknownObv.jpg

No pics. You know what they look like:

1987 Britannia Gold Proof £25 (Standing Britannia)

1997 Britannia Gold Proof £25 (Chariot Britannia)

2001 Britannia Gold Proof £25 (Modern UNA and the Lion)

2003 Britannia Gold Proof £25 (Modern Full Helmeted Head Britannia)

2005 Britannia Gold Proof £25 (Modern Seated Britannia)

1981 Sovereign Gold Proof

3X 2007 Canada Proof C$8 (Traditional square-holed Chinese coin in silver)

Great to have the 5 different Britannia designs by Philip Nathan in proof gold. I don't care much for the 2007 Britannia design by Christopher Le Brun.

Just a few from eBay oveer the past day (sellers pictures)

Cheshire Macclesfield D&H 7

CheshireMacclesfieldDH7.jpg

Angusshire Dundee D&H 18

AngusshireDundeeDH18.jpg

Middlesex Baylys D&H 253

MiddlesexBaylysDH253.jpg

Gloucestershire Badminton D&H 48 (ex. Noble sale)

GloucesterBadmintonDH48Obv.jpg

GloucesterBadmintonDH48Rev.jpg