• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,319 posts in this topic

Just got a 1864 (Meiji 26) 5 sen piece. It's my oldest so far, my next oldest is from 1936. It has some interesting toning, shading to red, which I'm not sure about the cause of...

I don't have a good setup for pictures yet, but I'll post photos as soon as I can.

I agree, nice-looking Maundy set, ZAR. And who doesn't like 500-year-old gold smile.gif

My last purchases (2 weeks ago), not counting coin books, are these:

Germany-1908-FunfMark.jpg

Germany-1913-3Mark.jpg

Mexico-1950-5Pesos.jpg

Austria-1797-Kronenthaler.jpg

I need to stop buying Railroad 5 Pesos, but I just can't resist it every time I see it being sold for less than $40. The rest are for my trading album.

~Roman

I finally got a Mexico railroad 1950 5 pesos after 40 years

I have wanted this particular Mexican coin since I was a kid in the 1960's.

It was listed in Yeoman's Catalog of Modern World Coins in 1966 for $12.50 (Unc) and I couldn't afford it then.

mexico_railroad_5p.jpg

Mexico 5 pesos 1950 "Inaugural of Southeastern Railway".

It is popular because it has a train on it and people like trains.

It is interesting to note that the date "1950" appears on both sides of the coin.

Nice pick-up, Willie.

Another interesting note about these coins is that half of the mintage was melted down to make Olympic pesos. So about 100,000 survived.

~Roman

I have some new purchases from TOREX show that I need to take pictures of. I'll post 'em tonight.

Here's one of my new purchases - a 1999 Silver Britannia 2P - NGC MS-69.

This coin is a bear to photograph since it's practically a reverse proof. I finally got the obverse to within 90% of what I wanted, and then I just flipped it and shot the reverse so I could stop for the night. Hope everyone enjoys! Thanks, gmarguli!

1511738-5820-5828-850.jpg

1511738-5820-5828-850.jpg.7eee82fe943630f545c8cfa54e1c59dc.jpg

I love the silver Britannias. I have a complete uncirculated siver set! The Royal Mint does a great job with these coins... and I cannot wait to see the 2007 in Silver!!!

Excellent coin... enjoy!! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

Aha - South African, my favourite collecting area.

I prefer my South Africans a bit older then the one in the post above. However I do like the coin especially the toning. Nice pick up. thumbsup2.gif

I also would like to point out that this is the version of this date which has Suid-Africa printed on the obverse ( known as 1967A ). The other type of this date has South Africa printed on the obverse ( known as 1967E).

The 1967E has no Proof mintage.

The 1967A has a Proof mintage of 25,000.

Edit: I amended the mistakes in this post.

Edited by IlikeZARcoins

Aha - South African, my favourite collecting area.

I prefer my South Africans a bit older then the one in the post above. However I do like the coin especially the toning. Nice pick up. thumbsup2.gif

I also would like to point out that this is the version of this date which has Suid-Africa printed on the obverse ( known as 1967E ). The other type of this date has South Africa printed on the obverse ( known as 1967A).

The 1967E has no Proof mintage.

The 1967A has a Proof mintage of 25,000.

Thanks for the information on the mintage and variations of the 1967 Rand. Here are some nicely toned coins that I picked up from a board member about a year ago.

1514730-1961SouthAfricanCoinsCompressedsize.jpg

1514730-1961SouthAfricanCoinsCompressedsize.jpg.53306c9b93c115e3320e7e918d691705.jpg

Edited by TJ'S Coins

Hi TJ,

My apologies: It is true that the 1967E has no Proof mintage ( I am checking my book as I type ).

However I made a mistake in my previous post:

The 1967E says South Africa.

The 1967A Says Suid-Africa.

My apologies for any confusion.

I will now amend the original post.