• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outta here
2 2

283 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2022 at 2:37 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Probably the most interesting post in this trainwreck that explains why this forum has died. Hijacked by hooligans, who don't even care that they are careening off the edge! 

Valid point!  I am going to have a talk with Hog and see if he can see his way clear to installing some guardrail at some of the weaker points.  Right now, I've got to rustle up some grub for me and Ricky.  If you see Alex [from Alaska] in your inter-forum travels, tell him Q sends his regards, the place has quietened down a might, and he, too, is welcome to join in on the festivities. We'll even leave the light on for him.  :idea:

On 11/12/2022 at 12:47 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Lookout Mountain....home of Roscoe Tanner, a hard-serving tennis player of the 1970's.  Never forgot that cool name. xDe.

Coolest name I ever heard was a Presley type named Lash LaRue. His real name!

On 11/12/2022 at 2:37 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Probably the most interesting post in this trainwreck that explains why this forum has died. Hijacked by hooligans, who don't even care that they are careening off the edge! 

What trainwreck? What edge?  The entire Forum's state of health cannot be extrapolated from a single thread.  The OP has enough juice that he can begin and end, a thread with a single post which can be reduced to a single word:  Goodbye/Farewell. Comment posted.  Comment received.  All else is noise. Oldhoop'll be back. You'll see.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:02 PM, Crawtomatic said:

Man, I was actually giving serious thoughts to the etymology of that term the past weekend.  Burner has been used before to describe guns either stolen or used in a crime.  That predates the existence of cellphones but the premise applies.  Something you use once then toss.

Then I started wondering 'why burner?' Is it because guns of questionable provenance may not necessarily be cleaned and serviced?  Resulting in a firearm malfunction causing....burns.  I think that's possible.

I want to say I even read in passing the usage of the word burner to describe a gun during the prohibition days.  But can't seem to find a reference for that currently.

-Burner- is parallel to the use of -heater- for pistols in general. We generate both metaphors from a word that represents something that produces heat.

We use -to burn- as a metaphor for to throw away; a -burner- becomes something disposable as well.

A -burner- is a handgun that you throw away; currently, for a while, maybe.

Tell your curiosity to invent more.

🐓 :  What makes you so sure the OP is coming back?

Q.A.:  YOU KIDDIN' ME? He's got twenty in on this bid!  You think it's easy walkin' away from a commitment?  This guy's got stamina, endurance--all the attributes that made him a great 'ball player. Besides, ever notice when he formulates his replies he uses the pronoun "we," as though speaking on behalf of the entire congregation? Remember the time I suggested one member enjoyed unconditional immunity? Not to be outdone, he shot back, No member ought to have that kind of power... (except him, of course!)  :roflmao:  You know what they say in the rooms, "there are no big "I"s and little "U"s. He is the exception.  A long-time member in good standing who speaks with authority. [And quiet is kept, Top Management's got his back.]  :whistle:

On 11/12/2022 at 11:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓 :  What makes you so sure the OP is coming back?

Q.A.:  YOU KIDDIN' ME? He's got twenty in on this bid!  You think it's easy walkin' away from a commitment?  This guy's got stamina, endurance--all the attributes that made him a great 'ball player. Besides, ever notice when he formulates his replies he uses the pronoun "we," as though speaking on behalf of the entire congregation? Remember the time I suggested one member enjoyed unconditional immunity? Not to be outdone, he shot back, No member ought to have that kind of power... (except him, of course!)  :roflmao:  You know what they say in the rooms, "there are no big "I"s and little "U"s. He is the exception.  A long-time member in good standing who speaks with authority. [And quiet is kept, Top Management's got his back.]  :whistle:

If one looks CAREFULLY at this site’s rules, REALLY CAREFULLY PARSING ITS WORDS, it is the “old guard” who do the bulk of the rule breaking here, not Quintus. So that leads me to ask: Is it REALLY in the old guard’s interest to suggest people be expelled or not? They might find themselves hoisted by their own petard. Or is this supposed to be an incestuous little crowd, as ATS and CoinTalk are?

On 11/7/2022 at 9:14 AM, VKurtB said:

No, I think it is the “old guard” who dragged this site down to the point where it was known as Sleepy Hollow, attempting to throw their weight around. I fight back when faced with that umm, err, poo. 

My posts have THE MOST “likes” in the past year, and the third most all time. Who’s lacking awareness?

I’m not so sure about the old guard causing the Sleepy Hollow nickname. I started posting here in 2006. Most, if not all, the old guard was posting. I don’t remember any of them driving anyone off then or now. It was also referred to as Sleepy Hollow then, mainly by the PCGS crowd because compared to the traffic they had it was more of a vacation here. This site has always been welcoming and friendly, especially when compared to starting new on the PCGS boards. 

On 11/13/2022 at 3:44 PM, robec1347 said:

....This site has always been welcoming and friendly, especially when compared to starting new on the PCGS boards. 

🐓:  Looks like we've gotten a reprieve here!

Q.A.:  Whew! And not a moment too soon.  [Sometimes it's good to know where you stand with the bummock, that part of the iceberg (membership) you don't hear from too often.]

On 11/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, VKurtB said:

If one looks CAREFULLY at this site’s rules, REALLY CAREFULLY PARSING ITS WORDS, it is the “old guard” who do the bulk of the rule breaking here, not Quintus. So that leads me to ask: Is it REALLY in the old guard’s interest to suggest people be expelled or not? They might find themselves hoisted by their own petard. Or is this supposed to be an incestuous little crowd, as ATS and CoinTalk are?

...ill agree to disagree n lv it at that....

On 11/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, zadok said:

...ill agree to disagree n lv it at that....

Really? Who else is promoting GoFundMe projects? Only Jason is. By the way, I’ve had cancer surgeries THREE times. And I have follow up visits every couple of months. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, VKurtB said:

Really? Who else is promoting GoFundMe projects? Only Jason is. By the way, I’ve had cancer surgeries THREE times. 

...wasnt really addressing that part of ur comment....

On 11/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, zadok said:

...wasnt really addressing that part of ur comment....

Sorry, to me that IS THE salient part of my comment. I used to be guided by “live and let live”. No more. I’m going all “report posts” until other people just chill out and settle the F down. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 5:27 PM, VKurtB said:

Sorry, to me that IS THE salient part of my comment. 

...everyone has their points of saliency i was taking exception to another part of ur comment...its one of those things where if u dont take exception everyone thinks u r in agreement....

On 11/13/2022 at 2:24 PM, VKurtB said:

You have done as much harm to this site as anyone has ever done. Your insults to others have drove many members away. Cant you see that? Stop and try doing something to improve this site. 

On 11/13/2022 at 4:41 PM, ldhair said:

You have done as much harm to this site as anyone has ever done. Your insults to others have drove many members away. Cant you see that? Stop and try doing something to improve this site. 

Funny, I was just thinking the very same about you. Site management likes my stuff just fine. Ask ‘em. Go ahead. 

Edited by VKurtB

Further, on last Wednesday, there was a Zoom meeting of the ANA’s Membership and Outreach Committee, of which I am a member. The ED, Ms. Kiick, mentioned one of their “contact lists”, the non-member online contacts list. Not ANA members but have used ANA’s website. It is a list that is “underperforming” as a membership marketing list. I mentioned a PROMINENT member here, of lonnnnnng standing. An audible “Uhhhgh” went up from the Committee Members. This guy has a HUUUUGE fan base here but can fairly said to be persona non grata at the ANA. And I might be the converse. So be it. 

On 11/13/2022 at 4:55 PM, ldhair said:

I will do that. 

Have at it Mr. 20+ years member with 4 followers. :roflmao:

On 11/13/2022 at 4:41 PM, ldhair said:

Ya’ know what, Larry? I’ve never asked anyone to follow me, and I didn’t keep track. But I just now looked. If I am driving people away, as you insist, why is my follower count so high? Why is my like count so high. Hey, I get it. I’m not YOUR cup of tea, nor Jason’s. That has to be okay. You’re not mine either. Not even close. That has to be okay too. 

On 11/13/2022 at 5:54 PM, VKurtB said:

Further, on last Wednesday, there was a Zoom meeting of the ANA’s Membership and Outreach Committee, of which I am a member. The ED, Ms. Kiick, mentioned one of their “contact lists”, the non-member online contacts list. Not ANA members but have used ANA’s website. It is a list that is “underperforming” as a membership marketing list. I mentioned a PROMINENT member here, of lonnnnnng standing. An audible “Uhhhgh” went up from the Committee Members. This guy has a HUUUUGE fan base here but can fairly said to be persona non grata at the ANA. And I might be the converse. So be it. 

...i can fully understand the "uhhhgh" its universally acknowledged throughout the numismatic community myself included...however, i dont get the connection of that issue with this forum n in particular this thread...am i missing something?....

On 11/13/2022 at 5:25 PM, zadok said:

...i can fully understand the "uhhhgh" its universally acknowledged throughout the numismatic community myself included...however, i dont get the connection of that issue with this forum n in particular this thread...am i missing something?....

Yes, I guess maybe you are, in my opinion. This hobby is loaded to the gills with, how to say this politely, some pretty unique personalities, myself included. This thread is the “Outta Here” thread, where certain members are throwing tantrums about other peculiar personalities being here. Why? They are every bit as peculiar and controversial as the next guy, but they don’t see it. My only suggestion, and I choose not to “block” anyone long term, only the occasional con artist who disappears eventually, is to chill the F out and relax. Not everybody likes the same thing or even should. If you need to grab your football and go home unless somebody else gets expelled, then yes, you ARE the weakest link - goodbye. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 6:33 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes, I guess maybe you are, in my opinion. This hobby is loaded to the gills with, how to say this politely, some pretty unique personalities, myself included. This thread is the “Outta Here” thread, where certain members are throwing tantrums about other peculiar personalities being here. Why? They are every bit as peculiar and controversial as the next guy, but they don’t see it. My only suggestion, and I choose not to “block” anyone long term, only the occasional con artist who disappears eventually, is to chill the F out and relax. Not everybody likes the same thing or even should. 

...i have no issue with that, pretty straight forward...my personal position is that there r individuals here that do not contribute to the hobby in any positive manner, they r here simply to disrupt n interfere with those that do contribute, those individuals should find another social media forum to participate in, this one is about collecting coins not a communal therapy session...of course its a free public forum with moderators, so be it...fortunately, we have the option to choose not to read those individuals comments n i take that option with those individuals n go on my merry way....

On 11/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, zadok said:

...i have no issue with that, pretty straight forward...my personal position is that there r individuals here that do not contribute to the hobby in any positive manner, they r here simply to disrupt n interfere with those that do contribute, those individuals should find another social media forum to participate in, this one is about collecting coins not a communal therapy session...of course its a free public forum with moderators, so be it...fortunately, we have the option to choose not to read those individuals comments n i take that option with those individuals n go on my merry way....

FWIW, I have learned more about 20Fr Coq Marianne from QA than I have learned from literally ANY other member here on ANY subject. Yes, it’s a narrow universe, but still… He is a quite brilliant individual with a biting sense of humor. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 5:41 PM, ldhair said:

....Stop and try doing something to improve this site. 

🐓:  This coming from a long-time member who, only two hours ago, departed from the ironclad rules he promulgated, a generation ago, governing participation on the "Follow the lead picture post" thread by posting the dateless skeletal remains of a coin for no other reason than because he could in a somewhat arrogant display of "OP's privilege."

Q.A.:  Back on Track! indeed.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Additional salient facts.

On 11/13/2022 at 6:23 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

That's the only reason I am here - for followers.  I like how you checked out my profile to be sure ;). Classic. 

While not given to indiscriminate bragging, my ignorers comprise the lion's share of my covert constituency.  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:  :roflmao: