• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outta here
2 2

283 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2022 at 6:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

While not given to indiscriminate bragging, my ignorers comprise the lion's share of my covert constituency.  :makepoint:  doh!  :facepalm:  :roflmao:

I take ironic note of the fact that QA has precisely the same number of followers as The Neophyte Numismatist and ldhair combined. Give the people what they want, I always say. 

On 11/13/2022 at 5:54 PM, VKurtB said:

.... I mentioned a PROMINENT member here....lonnnnnng standing.... audible “Uhhhgh” went up.... guy has a HUUUUGE fan base.... 

Exquisite writing style, on-point presentation, impeccable timing and flawless delivery.  (thumbsu

On 11/13/2022 at 7:39 PM, VKurtB said:

I take ironic note of the fact that QA has precisely the same number of followers as The Neophyte Numismatist and ldhair combined. Give the people what they want, I always say. 

🐓:  You have FOLLOWERS?  

Q.A.:  Relax, we all make mistakes.  :roflmao:

On 11/13/2022 at 6:49 PM, VKurtB said:

FWIW, I have learned more about 20Fr Coq Marianne from QA than I have learned from literally ANY other member here on ANY subject. Yes, it’s a narrow universe, but still… He is a quite brilliant individual with a biting sense of humor. 

...as mentioned before everyone has their own paths to choose n follow...n its an open forum, in this specific instance ill pass, i found his participation to be non-contributory n vacant n chose not to read anymore of his comments a couple months ago, from my perspective he is no longer on the forum...with the few exceptions of good natured repartee im trying to participate in conversations that r mainly hobby oriented....

On 11/13/2022 at 5:26 PM, zadok said:

...wasnt really addressing that part of ur comment....

🐓:  That can only mean one thing...

Q.A.  I can take a hint, but in billiards, that's known as a carom shot----"two birds with one stone"---- a strike n rebound... n lv it at that.  :whistle:

On 11/13/2022 at 8:43 PM, zadok said:

.... in this specific instance ill pass, i found his participation to be non-contributory....

🐓:  This is the member who was the inspiration behind the "What do you collect?" topic presided over by the incomparable gentleman from Kentucky.

Q.A.:  You read my mind! He, uncharacteristically, posted a reply which, for anyone playing it close to the vest, is one giant leap forward. We need to dissect that thread, find out what appeals to him and insinuate ourselves into the conversation. And when Ol'hoop returns, he'll see us contributing to the "body of knowledge" and no one will be the wiser. Man, I tell you, I love this place!  We're In Like Flint!  🥰 

On 11/13/2022 at 7:43 PM, zadok said:

...as mentioned before everyone has their own paths to choose n follow...n its an open forum, in this specific instance ill pass, i found his participation to be non-contributory n vacant n chose not to read anymore of his comments a couple months ago, from my perspective he is no longer on the forum...with the few exceptions of good natured repartee im trying to participate in conversations that r mainly hobby oriented....

Do you expect to like every member? It’s a serious question, because every time I walk into any new room, my expectation is to dislike about 3/4 of the people in that room, and that applies to family reunions too. I occasionally am very pleasantly surprised, but not often. I get my fix of surprises mostly at home and at major live coin shows. Precious little else. 

@VKurtB:

It may humor you to know IF I were to ever attend a coin show, my expectation would automatically default to: Everyone here (dealers, particularly) has my best interests at heart. And if they ply me with wares, name a price, quickly followed by, "but for you, my friend..." I should be flattered.  I never cared for haggling.  If a dealer were to state his price, I automatically assume that is the lowest, rock-bottom price possible and to even entertain the thought of suggesting anything lower would be downright rude and insulting.  Do I have the right attitude, or what?  :whistle:

On 11/13/2022 at 9:31 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@VKurtB:

It may humor you to know IF I were to ever attend a coin show, my expectation would automatically default to: Everyone here (dealers, particularly) has my best interests at heart. And if they ply me with wares, name a price, quickly followed by, "but for you, my friend..." I should be flattered.  I never cared for haggling.  If a dealer were to state his price, I automatically assume that is the lowest, rock-bottom price possible and to even entertain the thought of suggesting anything lower would be downright rude and insulting.  Do I have the right attitude, or what?  :whistle:

I don’t haggle either. I HATE HATE HATE the practice. It bugs me to my very core. I put on the case glass the items in which I am interested and stare at the dealer. If he offers me a decent discount below what the marked price was, I ask for his card and make it a point to do repeat business with him. If he doesn’t, I also take his card and tear a corner off it. He goes in a “never do business with again” list in my phone. But this is key - worst comes to worst I’m in at the marked price or it wouldn’t even BE on the glass. 

Among dealers, I ASSUME they’re there to shaft me, and they get to overcome my assumption. The non-dealers (club members, speakers, and exhibitors) get an assumption of being decent people, also a refutable assumption. 

I VASTLY prefer live auctions, where I’ve learned to sit at the back so nobody in front of me can “shadow bid” over me. I go in with tech devices and a detailed list, and I don’t like people “leeching” off my research.

I’ve been to 30 or so major shows, and at 5-6 of them I neither bought nor sold a single piece. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 3:44 PM, robec1347 said:

I’m not so sure about the old guard causing the Sleepy Hollow nickname. I started posting here in 2006. Most, if not all, the old guard was posting. I don’t remember any of them driving anyone off then or now. It was also referred to as Sleepy Hollow then, mainly by the PCGS crowd because compared to the traffic they had it was more of a vacation here. This site has always been welcoming and friendly, especially when compared to starting new on the PCGS boards. 

Any idea how many posts over ATS vs. here daily ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I wish we spent half as much time posting on coin stuff and creating interesting threads on classic coins or the hobby in general as we do sniping at one another. (thumbsu

Ultimately, just like a thread or post on coins I have no interest in, if someone posts something you consider stupid or off-topic or inapproppriate or demeaning or whatever.....you can just ignore it.  The good thing about forums is....if a topic or post doesn't get new posts, it fades away (like alot of the Saint-Gaudens threads I keep trying to keep on life support xD ).

Life's too short, fellas.  Let's get back to coins, OK ? (thumbsu

On 11/13/2022 at 10:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Any idea how many posts overe ATS vs. here daily ?

I do know that anything critical of the company that hosts ATS is subject to removal. It’s THAT parochial over there. It’s why I CHOOSE not to post often there. I’m nobody’s “company man”.

On 11/13/2022 at 11:07 PM, VKurtB said:

I do know that anything critical of the company that hosts ATS is subject to removal. It’s THAT parochial over there. It’s why I CHOOSE not to post often there. I’m nobody’s “company man”.

Yup, alot of people I wanted to learn from got kicked out from over there.  Outside of Roy Langbord, nobody over there who is must-reading that I have seen even though there are some good threads and good people there.

Also seems to me that PCGS/CU is more akin to a "day trading" operation approach to coins -- lots of trend followers and folks hopping on hot ideas -- whereas here @ NGC we are more long-term investors looking for quality over time.

JMHO, of course. xD

On 11/13/2022 at 10:06 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I wish we spent half as much time posting on coin stuff and creating interesting threads on classic coins or the hobby in general as we do sniping at one another. (thumbsu

Ultimately, just like a thread or post on coins I have no interest in, if someone posts something you consider stupid or off-topic or inapproppriate or demeaning or whatever.....you can just ignore it.  The good thing about forums is....if a topic or post doesn't get new posts, it fades away (like alot of the Saint-Gaudens threads I keep trying to keep on life support xD ).

Agreed. But where are the valuable coin posts? And valuable to WHOM exactly? Yes, we all get that you are a HUUUGE “Saint” fan. I’m not. I have become kind of a 20Fr Coq Marianne fan. So here’s the problem. 

New YouTube or Etsy “educated” (as if) members are the scourge of the hobby AND the site. EVERYBODY’S site. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 11:06 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

On balance, I would have to say I agree with you, but that's the beauty of an abandoned thread. You can turn on the Exhaust Fan----and clear the air. Anything anyone posts on this thread is inapplicable to begin with. Why?  Because how much more on- or off-topic can you get than "Outta Here"?  This thread inadvertently serves to keep other threads from devolving into chaos.  Nothing here really matters.  There is nothing to add or subtract from the conversation. Plus, its derail-proof.  This, in essence, is the perfect thread.  Members can duke it out here and then proceed to other threads in gentlemanly fashion. I am curious to know what brought you here but am too polite to ask.  Looks like Ol'hoop is whoopin' it up elsewhere.  We all know he's comin' back.  That's a given.  A guy who refuses to formally ignore someone is not going to give in and allow anyone to run him off.  He'll be back.  No harm in blowin' off a little steam in his absence. Oh, the wife... Gentlemen, I bid you adieu!  (Man, I love this place!)

Don’t get too “Coq-y”, QA; I have a past interest in 20 Fr Swiss Vrenelis that can be resurrected. And heck, they even still USE the Swiss Franc. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 10:06 PM, VKurtB said:

Do you expect to like every member? It’s a serious question, because every time I walk into any new room, my expectation is to dislike about 3/4 of the people in that room, and that applies to family reunions too. I occasionally am very pleasantly surprised, but not often. I get my fix of surprises mostly at home and at major live coin shows. Precious little else. 

...not a question of liking every member, u weed out the chaff n keep whats worth keeping...nothing more nothing less....

On 11/13/2022 at 11:12 PM, VKurtB said:

Agreed. But where are the valuable coin posts? And valuable to WHOM exactly? Yes, we all get that you are a HUUUGE “Saint” fan. I’m not. I have become kind of a 20Fr Coq Marianne fan. So here’s the problem. 
New YouTube or Etsy “educated” (as if) members are the scourge of the hobby AND the site. EVERYBODY’S site. 

I had never even HEARD of "Roosters" until QA started posting about them here.  Now, I would like to get the 20 Franc (I believe that's a 1 oz. coin or close to it) Rooster down the line.  Have never seen a Rooster thread or post over at CU or CT or anywhere else for that matter.

There's nothing wrong with not having interest in threads here, even lots of them.  If you find 1 or 2 threads that interest you....as a reader, poster, or both.....then Mission Accomplished.  (thumbsu

On 11/13/2022 at 11:33 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I had never even HEARD of "Roosters" until QA started posting about them here.  Now, I would like to get the 20 Franc (I believe that's a 1 oz. coin or close to it) Rooster down the line.  Have never seen a Rooster thread or post over at CU or CT or anywhere else for that matter.

There's nothing wrong with not having interest in threads here, even lots of them.  If you find 1 or 2 threads that interest you....as a reader, poster, or both.....then Mission Accomplished.  (thumbsu

...not even close, .1867 troy ounce of gold....

On 11/13/2022 at 11:41 PM, zadok said:

...coin is basically a bullion holding coin n virtually never circulated, some borderline uncs r found but mostly from handling vs circulation, not really a collection coin but there r registry sets at both pcgs n ngc, for the most part the entire set can be assembled in a few days, there r a couple low mintage years in the original issue coins, the later years were mostly restrikes...as far as the registry sets, they would fall into the "vanity" sets categories...i.e. individuals striving for the top-pop coins, ms66-67-68s....

On 11/13/2022 at 11:41 PM, zadok said:

100 Francs ?  They had to have something closer to 1 ounce, I thought most of the European countries minted larger coins.  But maybe I am wrong.

Yeah, I should have known about the 20 Franc....especially since I have one sitting 3 feet away from me !!!!  xD

I blame France for dumping the Franc and going with the Euro !! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 11/13/2022 at 11:48 PM, zadok said:

...for the most part the entire set can be assembled in a few days..

I'm only averaging about 1/year so I guess I really suck at collecting them.

So far as "sleepy hollow" -vs ATS...I'm much happier here. About all they talk about is plastic & stickers. Drives me absolutely nuts. 

On 11/13/2022 at 11:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yup, alot of people I wanted to learn from got kicked out from over there.  Outside of Roy Langbord, nobody over there who is must-reading that I have seen even though there are some good threads and good people there.

Also seems to me that PCGS/CU is more akin to a "day trading" operation approach to coins -- lots of trend followers and folks hopping on hot ideas -- whereas here @ NGC we are more long-term investors looking for quality over time.

JMHO, of course. xD

I started here a while back, migrated to the universe, lasted one month, spent a week in jail, went from jail to banned. Content—I don’t quarrel; “Totally inappropriate”, it said. Regular adverbs offend me. I “bounced” into here. GF69 described the difference aptly. I preferred there for a lack of depth required of me to integrate; I don’t disparage either forum, ATS was a better place for my learning. Coinrolling, coinstar, W quarters—easy stuff for me as I learn the hard stuff. You are as likeable as they; I feel comfortable nowhere with strangers.
Kurt, I am afraid to haggle, fearing that I hurt the sellers’ feelings. (I need semi-key cents for a second set, if you all need a chump).

Thank you, teachers.
In forums, exchanging with experts is gold. I can tolerate unpleasantness to reach want I want, if that is the milieu. 
This forum reminds me of Charleston, South Carolina. ATS has Savannah vibes. CT is Atlanta, ANA is Macon or Valdosta.

Edited by Ray Tatum
Inexactity

@VKurtB with all your followers, and being the "most liked" person of all time, do you consider yourself an influencer?  Also, if you are the most liked, with the most followers, the biggest group of friends... how do you do that while also hating 75% of all rooms and crowds (including your family)?  I thought I was pretty good a math, but this one has me confused.

By the way - this is PURE GOLD you are providing... please don't stop giving yourself accolades (not that you could if you tried, because you really can't help your narcissistic self).  Tell me more about the awesomeness.:roflmao:

image.gif.7109a49066b92fae53787a7a46976876.gif

On 11/14/2022 at 3:45 AM, Cat Bath said:

I'm only averaging about 1/year so I guess I really suck at collecting them.

So far as "sleepy hollow" -vs ATS...I'm much happier here. About all they talk about is plastic & stickers. Drives me absolutely nuts. 

...depends on what grades u r pursuing, if just mint state readily available...i often attend abandoned safety deposit box sales n frequently there r literally dozens of mint state roosters n british sovereigns in them mostly mint state but 62-63 coins...if u want gem bu n above the search is much more difficult....

On 11/13/2022 at 6:07 PM, VKurtB said:

You too, Mr. Even Fewer Followers. 

I also wonder which is more.  You're "followers", or the number of people who have you on ignore, or the number of people who have joined and left because of your braggadocio and holier than thou persona.  Maybe I will just have to ask management, as you often suggest.  

On 11/13/2022 at 10:33 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Just for your info, ALL the European 20’s from Latin Monetary Union were and are about 1/5 ounce, a little under. They are similar in weight to a Stella.