• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outta here
2 2

283 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2022 at 7:23 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@VKurtB with all your followers, and being the "most liked" person of all time, do you consider yourself an influencer?  Also, if you are the most liked, with the most followers, the biggest group of friends... how do you do that while also hating 75% of all rooms and crowds (including your family)?  I thought I was pretty good a math, but this one has me confused.

By the way - this is PURE GOLD you are providing... please don't stop giving yourself accolades (not that you could if you tried, because you really can't help your narcissistic self).  Tell me more about the awesomeness.:roflmao:

image.gif.7109a49066b92fae53787a7a46976876.gif

I believe that if you take stock of your life, you’ll find that most things confuse you. 

On 11/14/2022 at 8:16 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

I also wonder which is more.  You're "followers", or the number of people who have you on ignore, or the number of people who have joined and left because of your braggadocio and holier than thou persona.  Maybe I will just have to ask management, as you often suggest.  

Do you even know what it means to “follow” someone? It means that they have VOLUNTARILY asked to be notified EACH AND EVERY time the followed person posts. I looked at my list and I’ve never even heard of most of them. Why? Because just PERHAPS people like YOU have beaten them into silence and they want to hear from me. Maybe? Or maybe it’s because I post with NO BUSINESS MOTIVE WHATSOEVER, unlike most of the people who have me on ignore. People figure things out. They know a book hawker who doesn’t even collect from a numismatist with a sharp tongue. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, zadok said:

...not a question of liking every member, u weed out the chaff n keep whats worth keeping...nothing more nothing less....

Q.A.:  Face it, Ricky. We are little more than chaff. Not even an afterthought. Less than worthless. Miscellaneous...

🐓:  Why, I never!  :roflmao:

I also wonder which is more.  You're "followers", or the number of people who have you on ignore, or the number of people who have joined and left because of your braggadocio and holier than thou persona.  Maybe I will just have to ask management, as you often suggest.  

As an agnostic, I consider myself holier than virtually no one. 

I wonder too. It’d be an interesting count. But here’s the key. The people saying they’re “Outta here” are performing what I call “addition by subtraction”. Buhbye. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:20 AM, VKurtB said:

Just for your info, ALL the European 20’s from Latin Monetary Union were and are about 1/5 ounce, a little under. They are similar in weight to a Stella. 

So is the Vatican coin I got years ago. (thumbsu

On 11/14/2022 at 9:02 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

How do you even figure out how many "followers" you have ?  

Yours is interesting. It SAYS you have 4, but only SHOWS 3. Maybe I’m the 4th. I don’t know. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:02 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

So is the Vatican coin I got years ago. (thumbsu

Magnificent pieces. 20 Lire? Date between our Civil War and WW1?

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/13/2022 at 10:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yup, alot of people I wanted to learn from got kicked out from over there.  Outside of Roy Langbord, nobody over there who is must-reading that I have seen even though there are some good threads and good people there.

Also seems to me that PCGS/CU is more akin to a "day trading" operation approach to coins -- lots of trend followers and folks hopping on hot ideas -- whereas here @ NGC we are more long-term investors looking for quality over time.

JMHO, of course. xD

Hmm. Something to think about re: “over there”. I may have to lurk/read some stuff. 

By the way, it’s “Your”, not “You’re”, you magnificent writer. We’ll do There, Their, They’re some other time. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/14/2022 at 9:48 AM, VKurtB said:

As an agnostic, I consider myself holier than virtually no one. 

That's okay. My parents were both atheists. Maybe that's why I turned out so well.  :roflmao:

On 11/14/2022 at 11:06 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

I have no idea lol

That's easy. Look at your bio profile.  Now me, I have to keep a scorecard. I have no choice. Clues... From whom have my posts elicited emoji? Who welcomed me back with open arms when I was banished to Bogeyland?  Who PM'd me with words of encouragement? Those random acts of kindness have not gone unnoticed.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, Ray Tatum said:

That’s on topic, right?

Not to worry. The whole shebang can be distilled down to "Bye-bye, so long, farewell," as memorialized in the 1966 song, "See you in September," by The Happenings.  :signofftopic:

On 11/14/2022 at 11:27 AM, zadok said:

...another very attractive series of that period r the San Marino coins....

Can’t say I’ve ever had the pleasure, personally, but it sounds plausible. 

On 11/14/2022 at 12:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Not to worry. The whole shebang can be distilled down to "Bye-bye, so long, farewell," as memorialized in the 1966 song, "See you in September," by The Happenings.  :signofftopic:

And here we are saying goodbye.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:39 AM, VKurtB said:

Do you even know what it means to “follow” someone? It means that they have VOLUNTARILY asked to be notified EACH AND EVERY time the followed person posts. I looked at my list and I’ve never even heard of most of them. Why? Because just PERHAPS people like YOU have beaten them into silence and they want to hear from me. Maybe? Or maybe it’s because I post with NO BUSINESS MOTIVE WHATSOEVER, unlike most of the people who have me on ignore. People figure things out. They know a book hawker who doesn’t even collect from a numismatist with a sharp tongue. 

...yea n some book hawkers even whine that no one will front the money on their non-collecting based manuscripts, who knew?....

On 11/14/2022 at 11:46 AM, zadok said:

...yea n some book hawkers even whine that no one will front the money on their non-collecting based manuscripts, who knew?....

Nobody, least of all me, ever said this hobby was loaded with ethical people. Entitlement? Sure. Out the wazoo. Ethics? Not s’much. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/14/2022 at 9:59 AM, Ray Tatum said:

Perhaps our elders exhibit confidence, and wield it without shame? 

Indeed. Very insightful of you. And to the extent our juniors do NOT wield it, they lose our respect. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/14/2022 at 9:22 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

image.jpeg.9e9f7896ca2768a1463e163335657e0f.jpeg

You've been uncharacteristically vocal lately... I understand you've earned a "100 comments" badge elsewhere, just this morning. Your accelerated activity is endangering your status as a Neophyte.  :roflmao:

I don't respect you... not even a little.  You can read back, so I don't have to re-hatch it all.  You bring almost no value here.

Idea to bring value:

Why don't you start a thread to demonstrate your level of expertise?  When you bring value, you will get the respect.  Teach people what makes a winning exhibition... you apparently know this, so share it.  Bring the value that sets you apart... then, everyone can celebrate that (and I will celebrate it, too).  

To date, your contributions are mostly just negative, condescending, snide remarks... Some of this stems from frustration on having to answer questions on parking lot coins (and I get that), but when you are an "expert" that hangs in a newbie section - that's what you get.  

Pick a topic, and really show what you know.  That's how you get "respect".  Promote the hobby in a way that showcases your strengths (without saying "I am the best, greatest, richest, most connected, most decorated, or whatever other bragging...).  Let your actions speak for you. 

• How does ANA judges judge exhibits?
  • What was the best exhibit you ever saw and why?  What were some other that were standouts?
  • How can collectors participate, and what does it take?
  • Promote the value of exhibiting.
  • ... even if the collector is not exhibiting... what can they bring to their collections to think more like an exhibitor, or better yet - judge.

I am giving you a platform on a platter - take it.  Share  what you know... in an objective, well-thought-out way. Make your thread about teaching and helping collectors (and not silly things like your kid's school or your income), and you will truly get the respect that comes with that knowledge.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 11/14/2022 at 12:46 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Why don't you start a thread to demonstrate your level of expertise?  When you bring value, you will get the respect.  Teach people what makes a winning exhibition... you apparently know this, so share it.  Bring the value that sets you apart... then, everyone can celebrate that (and I will celebrate it, too).  

Excellent idea! But I’ve already promised the Exhibits Committee I’d do that exclusively for The Numismatist. They feel (and I don’t know aye or nay) that the core membership of the ANA needs ongoing articles on exhibiting, so I am already writing up a plan for the ANA’s house publication. 

Now, here’s where YOU can help the ANA. I’ve checked with numerous exhibitors who believe 12 months a year is overkill, and it would be better to rotate 2 or 3 subjects with the exhibiting articles. I’m killing myself to come up with one or two other broad subjects to “rotate in” with exhibiting. Any and all ideas are welcome, and this is the brainstorming phase so no idea is off limits.

2 subjects - 6 articles each

3 subjects - 4 articles each

and so on. Not dealing with 5. 

There are other technical issues. Pages can only be added in increments of four, so anything added means either something has to go, or there will be unused space for SOMETHING, maybe editorial, maybe ads. 

Edited by VKurtB

I’ve been thinking deeply about something else @The Neophyte Numismatist, and it is the low opinion in which the traditional coin community holds the online community. I am mostly stuck for why that is. One part is they aren’t buying the “I don’t have shows near me” answer, because the show goers are not dissuaded by distance. The folks there are the primarily the same folks everywhere, Baltimore and Pittsburgh or Phoenix and Anaheim. (And always Florida.) But there’s more to it. There has to be.