• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,325 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2023 at 7:29 AM, Josh Lemons said:

Very cool.  I love notgeld as well because of the variety of interesting designs. The gilt white porcelain ones are stunning.  Here's my example.  Though I usually stick to minor coinage, this is my largest coin denomination..1/4 Million Mark!  It's aluminum and graded MS63

Polish_20221230_192538350.jpg

Polish_20221230_192556721.jpg

I don’t have 1/4 million mark in my collection I have few other notgeld coins in my collection at the safety box at the bank … but inflation in Germany was definitely an interesting read during and right after WW1 going through Weimar Republic years and depression years leading up to WW2 and rise of Hitler and Nazi idealism and holocaust , POW camps and so on …. Minor coinage has a lot bangs going for it during this time frame in Germany definitely keep a collector really busy trying to collect every mint and design made during that period is utterly impossible, I mean there’s so many pathways to go down to collect concentration camp coinage (holocaust coinage) , military issue coinage , POW camp coinage, notgeld coinage …

but for Notgeld coinage I recommend Robert Lamb’s book on Notgeld , I also have Walter Funck’s catalog as well I have both in my numismatic book/catalog collection entirely devoted to Notgeld coinage … there’s also Peter Munzel’s catalog on notgeld  coinage (I believe it’s 3 volume catalog , which I don’t own) …. but I find Roberts Lamb to be more better catalog for notgeld coinage compared to Funck’s catalog 

On 8/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

image.jpeg

Nice! I've been meaning to pick up one of those, I forgot about it. :preach:

Do you collect IoM coins or is this a one time purchase, a QEII collection? (shrug)

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Spelling

On 8/18/2023 at 9:57 AM, Redline68 said:

1622 Taler NGC Obv.jpg

1622 Taler NGC Rev.jpg

Always loved the bear designs on Switzerland Bern and Canton coinage ! It never gets old with me if you like this design I’d suggest you look at some of the medals they made back then with the Bern bear on them really cool !  …Anhalt Germany also adopted the bear design walking on brick wall On the earlier year German thalers 

however I’m not to familiar with this reverse design on back of this particular Thaler it almost looks like old Frankfurt German Thaler (taler) design (I believe Frankfurt only used 1 headed eagle not to sure I’ve seen double headed split eagle made by Frankfurt maybe a shooting medal)  …I guess it was a pretty coming design back then in some parts of Europe with the Eagle crest , Russians adopted the same almost looking eagle crest design as well years and years later I never found much information as to why they adopted that type of eagle crest design your’s far by the oldest dated Thaler I’ve seen it used on so far 

Edited by Jason Abshier