• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2022 at 10:59 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk

Any idea how many mints remain today? As I recall, there were quite a few at one time or another.

I do have the answer to your question, Quintus.  There are technically four but five different Mint Marks: Berlin, Mint Mark A, Munich, Mint Mark D, Stuttgart and Karlsruhe merged in 1998, so they're actually a single mint now, but they mint coins with both Mint Marks, which are F for Stuttgart and G for Karlsruhe, and Hamburg, Mint Mark J.  The fun (or infuriating) thing about collecting West and United German proof sets is that all four mints produce a proof set every year and the merged Stuttgart-Karlsruhe Mint issues two, one for each Mint Mark.  So, to have a full set, you need four or five sets a year, depending on the year.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/2/2022 at 10:03 PM, Mohawk said:

.  The fun (or infuriating) thing about collecting West and United German proof sets is that all four mints produce a proof set every year and the merged Stuttgart-Karlsruhe Mint issues two, one for each Mint Mark.  So, to have a full set, you need four or five sets a year, depending on the year.

Wow. That could get pricey.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:14 PM, Mohawk said:

These are the seller's pics, but I just picked up this gorgeous 1974-J (Hamburg Mint) West German proof set.  1974 was the final year for the silver 5 Mark coin:

Deutschland KMS 1974 J ~ Kursmünzensatz ~ Proof

Very nice brother. 

On 1/3/2022 at 12:00 AM, Just Bob said:

Wow. That could get pricey.

Definitely.  Fortunately, most of the sets from 1974 forward are very affordable but the sheer number of them basically makes it an expensive project.  I'm not sure if I'm going to try to get all of them, or just special years, or one per year or what yet.  I like them a lot, but it could definitely become a crazy project!!

My early East German streak is continuing!!! If this keeps up, I'll have my early East German collection rebuilt really soon:

Image 3 - EAST GERMANY. 5 PFENNIG, 1952 E.

Image 11 - EAST GERMANY. 5 PFENNIG, 1952 E.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:22 PM, Mohawk said:

My early East German streak is continuing!!! If this keeps up, I'll have my early East German collection rebuilt really soon:

Image 3 - EAST GERMANY. 5 PFENNIG, 1952 E.

Image 11 - EAST GERMANY. 5 PFENNIG, 1952 E.

Faster than they tore down the wall?  😉 

On 1/4/2022 at 1:34 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Faster than they tore down the wall?  😉 

So far, yes lol.  But I still have to acquire a 1950-E 10 Pfennig.  That one's the toughie in nice grade for early East German.  But if I keep watching eBay auctions, I think I'll get there.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of people seeking early East German out right now, which could work to my advantage.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:19 PM, GBrad said:

Well @Mohawk, here's one you might like.  Just found this one in my "haul" from a few weeks ago.  Looks like a tad bit of a greaser on the reverse...maybe? Just not seeing a pattern of circulation wear that would have diminished the relief of "10 CENTS" as it did...... not too sure being that it's not a MS coin and has seen some circ. time..... I just love the ship on the reverse of these Canadian coins. Hope you like it my friend.  (thumbsu

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

I definitely like it, Greg!! I have a Whitman folder full of nice, circulated silver Canadian dimes just like the piece you posted.  It just has good, honest wear from serving its purpose in the Canadian economy.  The 10 Cents often wears like that on the George VI dimes, as the relief is fairly high when these dimes are in mint state.  

On 1/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, Mohawk said:

So far, yes lol.  But I still have to acquire a 1950-E 10 Pfennig.  That one's the toughie in nice grade for early East German.  But if I keep watching eBay auctions, I think I'll get there.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of people seeking early East German out right now, which could work to my advantage.

Best of luck to you!  

@GBrad

Your coin just inspired a Eureka! moment. I know now why I always liked Canadian silver: they're denticled!  They just feel good in hand. The older ones anyway. I haven't come across any in a long time. The quarters were exceptional; I've never held a Looney but I imagine I would find the experience quite enjoyable.   😉 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:43 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@GBrad

Your coin just inspired a Eureka! moment. I know now why I always liked Canadian silver: they're denticled!  They just feel good in hand. The older ones anyway. I haven't come across any in a long time. The quarters were exceptional; I've never held a Looney but I imagine I would find the experience quite enjoyable.   😉 

There is nothing like the feeling of Canadian silver in hand, Quintus.  It just feels....good.  Valuable.  And the beauty of the coins doesn't hurt, either!! The first silver coin I ever found in circulation was a 1968 Canadian silver quarter.  Sadly, I lost it.  I was a kid and kids lose stuff.  But I bought a nice one certified MS 65 by NGC.  It is also a cameo coin, but it is not attributed as such.  This whole cameo battle on Canadian coins that aren't proofs with NGC is a big part of why I stopped grading coins of my own with them.  If they're not going to attribute the coins that make up about 40% of my collecting activity correctly, why should I bother?

@Mohawk

A PM I received from an Administrator, making it quite clear I may not call out other members by name in hopes of evoking a reply, e.g., "I wonder where [so-and-so] stands on this?", pretty much eliminates the possibility of soliciting the first-hand knowledge other members who could possibly shed some light on why and when that policy was developed. There has to be a reason -- and someone out there 👀 knows what it is.  :whatthe:  :facepalm:

On 1/4/2022 at 6:59 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk

A PM I received from an Administrator, making it quite clear I may not call out other members by name in hopes of evoking a reply, e.g., "I wonder where [so-and-so] stands on this?", pretty much eliminates the possibility of soliciting the first-hand knowledge other members who could possibly shed some light on why and when that policy was developed. There has to be a reason -- and someone out there 👀 knows what it is.  :whatthe:  :facepalm:

I'm sorry I can't help you with that one, Quintus.  This is the first I've ever heard of that policy or anyone being impacted by it.  I'm hoping there may be another member who's been here a long time that may know.  I myself do not, unfortunately. Wish I could help more, though.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:50 PM, Mohawk said:

....I'm hoping I can complete my rebuilding of my collection before people start moving back into this area and the prices go back up:

Image 1 - East Germany-DDR 1953-E bu pfennig

Image 11 - East Germany-DDR 1953-E bu pfennig

I am pleased as punch that nothing will hold you back from completing your East German collection. That' the spirit!  (worship)

Rickey, the 🐓 , assures me I have nothing to fear from  the likes of titans like D. L. HANSEN.  I am as  synonymous with 🐓 as you are  with your Faustina aurora borealis 😉  RICKY has never steered me wong; I trust him implicitly.

My only concern is re-immersing myself, with the assistance of Providence  in Frence World Gold Coins;  D. L  has no choice but to confine his interest to attempting to amass the greatet coins of U. S. Mintage.. 

I'm in like Flint... What, me worry? 

P.S. to the OP:  as a courtesy, I will pick up business cards at NYINC from those trafficking in your coin of choice., and PM, you, wihout delay.    (thumbsu 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Extensive die polishing.

This is an appropriate pickup in considering the awesome pfennig article tj96 shared with us today.  Anytime you can find Muldenhutten Mint East German in MS for under $10, it's a good day!!  These are the seller's pics:

Image 1 - Germany East DDR 1 Pfennig - 1952 E (Muldenhutten) - Unc

Image 11 - Germany East DDR 1 Pfennig - 1952 E (Muldenhutten) - Unc

There are some times in collecting where a nice, circulated coin can have more character than an MS piece of the same date and denomination.  I'd say this 1948-A 10 Pfennig is one of those pieces.  I really like the dark coloration and the weathered look it has.  These are the seller's pics and it's coming from Latvia, so I'll be waiting for it for a while:

:Image 21 - Germany 10 Pfennig 1948 Aluminum Coin S9

Image 01 - Germany 10 Pfennig 1948 Aluminum Coin S9

Edited by Mohawk