• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,487 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2021 at 7:07 PM, Woods020 said:

I picked this up raw on a recent work trip. Fairly nice coin. I was just using it to test out a lighting setup for my camera. 

AECC7048-81D4-4D88-AB68-EC0039F1B0AA.jpeg

12328C87-F8CD-493E-AEEF-EEEBC316AD25.jpeg

That’s a good looking Cohen 3 (R.1).  You can tell it is a C-3, because the 2 is punched low in the date, and the leaf tip in the wreath of the reverse sticks just a little past the last S in STATES.  

1828 is a fun date.  The C-2 only has 12 stars, as the die makes apparently just forgot to punch it.  The missing star is on the right side of the obverse.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 1/7/2022 at 8:30 AM, R__Rash said:

Just a 200 year old “hand me down”

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

She has seen years of use, and perhaps some abuse along the way; but still a very nice collectable coin.   A long soak in some mineral oil might help with removing some of that surface material if it is organic.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:53 AM, Coinbuf said:

She has seen years of use, and perhaps some abuse along the way; but still a very nice collectable coin.   A long soak in some mineral oil might help with removing some of that surface material if it is organic.

A day at the spa? 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:27 AM, Just Bob said:

Nice addition. It's a good looking coin. :applause: 

Are you happy with your choice?

[How else is one to interpret.. "The coin finally came in [!] Very excited to have this one in my date set."  Not to mention a recitation of provenance?]  Anyone who mentions delectable denticles, particularly with that Federal look, is alright in my book!  (thumbsu

On 1/14/2022 at 9:51 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Anyone who mentions delectable denticles, particularly with that Federal look, is alright in my book!  (thumbsu

Thanks @Quintus Arrius.  I specifically mention denticles here, because 1807 is usually found without them.  The 1807 is not rare, per se.  There is only one variety of this coin.  Early die states are what many copper collectors are looking for on this date.  This coin is not EDS, so happy to have anything at all.

@Just Bob  I am super happy with it.  It is so much better in hand, and the dealer's pictures were actually not the best.  The planchet is not quite as dark as the dealer pictures made it out, and actually there is still a pretty nice luster on this coin.  The die rust spots are obvious and rough, but the rest of the coin has very smooth surfaces.  Yes, very happy :cloud9:.  My biggest problem is that I want everything, and I can be seduced by a coin that I really like, but don't "need".  This was one I "needed", so there is also a self satisfaction in my own self-discipline (and thanks to the forum for assisting me there (thumbsu). 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 1/9/2022 at 9:53 AM, Coinbuf said:

First week at the spa and she already feels better!

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

She does look better I think, while nothing can help the areas that have been damaged from the active crud that was on the coin; removing it now will keep it from eating into the surfaces any farther.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:28 PM, R__Rash said:

First week at the spa and she already feels better!

I would probably give it at least another month or two in the bath, but it definitely looks improved. (thumbsu

On 1/15/2022 at 4:30 PM, Just Bob said:

I would probably give it at least another month or two in the bath, but it definitely looks improved. (thumbsu

At 201 she’ll be looking good! Lol 

On 1/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I posted about this coin in another thread where I was trying to make up my mind.  

The coin finally came-in!  Very excited to have this one in my date set.

I tried to capture all the die rust, showing this to be a later die state, however, this coin still exhibits some denticles on the obverse/reverse.  Early die states are fairly rare and expensive.

The small white speck at K-10 is on the holder not the coin.

Ex. C. Douglas Smith

Ex. G. Fitzgerald

Ex. Stacks 1975

Ex. Donald Partrick

31878E03-0195-41C1-85BC-39EB77A4120F.jpeg

FD47BC4F-BE47-4843-BA4E-6CA272BB136E.jpeg

The simple beauty in this coin will always only be memorable to me.  👍

Edited by R__Rash