For the love of copper
11 11

1,996 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2021 at 12:37 PM, GBrad said:

Couldn't resist this one coming in at MS67. The color is off the charts with this coin in hand.  

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

My wife, the unofficial arbiter on good taste, agrees, as do I. I was going to suggest evidence of tripling of the right wheat ear at the top, but thought the better of it. You never know when @Oldhoopster may be out and about. 😉 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Correction of a critical typo and omitted word..
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Quintus Arrius

If you feel it matches one of the known examples on doubleddie.com or variety vista why wouldn't you post a link to it?  If you believe it's a new discover and feel confident in your ability to identify doubled dies, tell us the characteristics you see, such as split serifs/notching, rounding, or thickening and post it.  Discussions around those types of posts can be very interesting and help newer collectors 

However, if you're just taking a wild guess because you think you might see something different and don't bother checking for known examples or can't identify any doubling characteristics, then it's probably a good idea to think the better of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Oldhoopster

Actually, none of the above, with as much moment as the formation of a cumulo-nimbus cloud which hits an air mass and is drawn out to look like a crocodile as reported on the Weather Channel recently.  Besides, I sought to draw you out, and succeeded!  It is always a pleasure to read your measured responses.  😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Oldhoopster

Actually, none of the above, with as much moment as the formation of a cumulo-nimbus cloud which hits an air mass and is drawn out to look like a crocodile as reported on the Weather Channel recently.  Besides, I sought to draw you out, and succeeded!  It is always a pleasure to read your measured responses.  😉 

I think it would be best to stick to numismatic related posts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Oldhoopster

Top of the morning to you, sir!  You will be pleased to learn my wife thinks it best to follow your advice, and I am inclined to accept for excellent reasons:

1.  You are the first and only member to take me seriously, and refuse to ignore me, and  2.  The last time I disregarded your counsel, chaperones riding the circuit with what appeared to be NGC patches, slapped an ankle monitor on me which cut off my blood circulation resulting in a noticeable limp. I will endeavor to master Numismatics for Dummies and hope to converse with you in your native tongue in due course.  (worship) 

[My heartfelt thanks to top management for allowing me to introduce a note of levity into the exchange.]   🐓 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Coinbuf

Did you purchase this raw?  Exposure to what chemical or environment would impart a bluish tone to a copper coin?  Is it your knowledge of this type of coin that gave you the confidence to aquire it solely on the strength of the photos 📸  alone.  First 1915-D I've ever seen.  This is in a class by itself!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Coinbuf

Did you purchase this raw?  Exposure to what chemical or environment would impart a bluish tone to a copper coin?  Is it your knowledge of this type of coin that gave you the confidence to aquire it solely on the strength of the photos 📸  alone.  First 1915-D I've ever seen.  This is in a class by itself!

QA this was not bought raw, it is in an old small white ANACS holder.   I like buying my copper in the older holders when I can as that shows me that the color and surfaces are stable and unlikely to change with proper storage.   I did purchase the coin biased only photos (no in hand look) with an agreement with the seller for return options once in hand.

There has been significant discussion on blue toned copper, both IHC's and Lincolns but also extending back to early 1800's coins too.   Many in the hobby feel that any blue toned piece has been subjected to a chemical agent or two to create the color.   I have done this myself in order to see the results in hand, and they can be quite beautiful.    However there are some subtle differences between the lab created color and that which is natural, however I will say that all of the major TPGs have lab created blue toned copper in their holders this I know for a fact.   So for now at least while the debate goes on about the legitimacy of blue toned copper the TPGs have made their choice and have chosen to accept blue (and purple) toned copper as legit and market acceptable.

Just how and what is needed to produce a blue color I do not divulge on chat rooms as that information would be used to ruin coins as the want to be coin doctors would use that information to produce more for the market.   We already have to much information on how to artificially or rapidly produce toning that is now deemed as market acceptable out there and it is being used to flood the market with a significant volume of enhanced coins.

Edited by Coinbuf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Coinbuf

Ordinarily, I am partial to what I call peripheral (circumferential) iridescent blue toning but your most unusual cent is exceptionally appealing and I am obliged to make an exception.

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2021 at 10:56 AM, R__Rash said:

I’ve been looking through these pages for the last couple of hours. Excellent post! I thought I’d share (2nd attempt) a coin from a set I call my rescue set. Coins that I have found that I feel no one else would want. I showed this to my son when I found it and he said, “ now that’s where the expression PRETTY ugly comes from”. 

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

That the same four-letter word my wife used and she didn't even know what she was looking at.  I like it because it evokes the Revolutions in Europe. In addition, the American flag had 30 stars... a nice piece of period history.  (thumbsu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2021 at 9:20 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

That the same four-letter word my wife used and she didn't even know what she was looking at.  I like it because it evokes the Revolutions in Europe. In addition, the American flag had 30 stars... a nice piece of period history.  (thumbsu

I collect what I call war sets, I was thinking along the lines of the end of the Mexican/American war.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2021 at 10:56 AM, R__Rash said:

I’ve been looking through these pages for the last couple of hours. Excellent post! I thought I’d share (2nd attempt) a coin from a set I call my rescue set. Coins that I have found that I feel no one else would want. I showed this to my son when I found it and he said, “ now that’s where the expression PRETTY ugly comes from”. 

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

That the same four-letter word my wife used and she didn't even know what she was looking at.  I like it because it evokes the Revolutions in Europe. In addition, the American flag had 30 stars... a nice piece of period history.  (thumbsu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, Coinbuf said:

A very common date and coin, but its hard to find Lincolns as clean as this one is.   Usually you see some contact marks and very often there are some chicken scratch marks on the shoulder, this is one clean Lincoln.

 

1944D.jpg

Shoulder Chicken scratch..

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
11 11