• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,488 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2021 at 12:56 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

s-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.b13fbf9bd7fb32e36c938e40e507a511.jpgs-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.61ea57c7f6951a75c4e44ce6473a0320.jpg

Some of my Roosters have extended tails, most noticeably on the nines in 1914, but this is this is the first time I have seen them on 19th century Half Cents.  In fact, I do not recall seeing them on any coin, U.S. or foreign. Copper was my first love.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Minor misselling

On 8/23/2021 at 11:50 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk. If am a firm believer in courtship.  The best of luck to you both!

Thanks for the well-wishes Quintus!!! We have quite a bit of an age difference, but I think we'll be plenty happy together!

Edited by Mohawk
Typo

On 8/26/2021 at 7:35 PM, 124Spider said:

Could tell us uninformed folks what this coin is?

Thanks.

Mark

It would be my pleasure, Mark.  I apologize for not doing so when I actually posted it. This coin is an orichalcum sestertius of Roman Empress Faustina the Younger, also called Faustina II and Faustina Jr. in numismatic circles.  It is RIC#1388B in the Spink Roman Imperial Coin reference.  I hope that this helps :smile:

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/26/2021 at 4:39 PM, Mohawk said:

It would be my pleasure, Mark.  I apologize for not doing so when I actually posted it. This coin is an orichalcum sestertius of Roman Empress Faustina the Younger, also called Faustina II and Faustina Jr. in numismatic circles.  It is RIC#1388B in the Spink Roman Imperial Coin reference.  I hope that this helps :smile:

~Tom

Very cool, thanks!  There is a remarkable romance around an ancient coin, especially one that obviously circulated for a while; if only it could talk!

Mark

On 8/26/2021 at 7:45 PM, 124Spider said:

Very cool, thanks!  There is a remarkable romance around an ancient coin, especially one that obviously circulated for a while; if only it could talk!

Mark

I agree completely!!  I would honestly never buy an MS ancient.  To me, if I'm going to have a Roman coin, I want one that was used by actual Romans!! When I look at a circulated ancient, I know it has a story that I'd love to know, but that it sadly cannot tell. Anyone could have used it or held it.....a soldier, a Senator, a merchant and maybe.....just maybe.....Faustina the Younger herself.

Edited by Mohawk

In all fairness, I believe ancients have been accorded their own abbreviated scale and the grade, Mint State, per se, is not one of them.

If I am wrong, the experts will jump on the opportunity to have me drawn-and-quartered and the really sad part is any Moderators in attendance will concur in the verdict.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

In all fairness, I believe ancients have been accorded their own abbreviated scale and the grade, Mint State, per se, is not one of them.

If I am wrong, the experts will jump on the opportunity to have me drawn-and-quartered and the really sad part is any Moderators in attendance will concur in the verdict.

Hi Quintus!! 

Ancient grading has some similarities with the Sheldon Scale used for other coins.  You have the grades Fair, About Good, Good, Very Good, Fine, Very Fine, Extremely Fine, About Uncirculated and Mint State applied.  So, Mint State grades have been applied to ancient coins by NGC and I'm sure by other authorities and dealers.  Admittedly,  I do not know much about that side of the hobby as Mint State ancients do not interest me in the least.  Additionally, NGC Ancients has a 1-5 numeric grading scale that evaluates the strike of the coin and the surface of the coin separately.  So, if you use NGC's system, you have the Fair, About Good, Good, Very Good, Fine, Very Fine, Extremely Fine, About Uncirculated and Mint State that you have with other coins, but with the separate numeric 1-5 grade for strike and surface.  Here are a couple of websites that go into more detail, including NGC's page for their ancient coin grading services:

https://www.ngccoin.com/specialty-services/ancient-coins/grading.aspx

https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/grading-ancient-coins/

That being said, I'm not an ancient collector who cares about grades.  Basically, if I need a coin for my Faustina collection and I like how it looks, I buy it and add it to my collection.  The grades are probably all over the place!!  So, I really haven't actually tried to grade any of my coins.  I'm certain that there's more to it than what I've said here.

~Tom

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/26/2021 at 10:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

I do not own that many modern Lincolns, but I actually do kind of like the shield design.

2019cw-obv.jpg

2019cw-rev.jpg

Nice coin Coinbuf!!! I do not own a single Lincoln Cent aside from what's in my change jar, but I agree with you.......the Shield is pretty nice.  Definite improvement over the Memorial, in my humble opinion.

On 8/27/2021 at 11:19 PM, Mohawk said:

Looks like some fine copper to me, LemE, though a lot younger than what I'm used to lol!! Thanks for sharing those!

How much "younger" can you get than that '09-S-V.D.B.  (shrug)

On 8/29/2021 at 8:53 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

You could move to S mint dimes after that.

I shouldn't be kidding around like that. @RWB and @Just Bob take a dim view of such antics. And so would @Hoghead515! My sincere apologies to our hosts.   🐓

@GBrad...     Okay, alright.  I'll skip the old cents and move on the the s mint dimes.  (Too bad silver coins are off-topic.  I'd love to buff that silly pedestaled mint mark off a new Morgan for no other reason than because it serves no useful purpose. Then with @Alex in PA.'s permission, I can forward it to our dear old friend @Ratzie33 for sale. Preferably on etsy. For Five Grand!  Who knows, maybe there's a Fair Market Value for unique coins?  🤔 

On 8/30/2021 at 9:43 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I can forward it to our dear old friend @Ratzie33

Some say he migrated to a small town in France.  Others say he is being anonymous and posting under now Rubicon posts as Detector Kay who posted as Patelnumis who posted as Rocky100 who posted as Robylu52 or maybe ……Elaqnore8

"Where, oh where, are you tonight?

Why did you leave us here all alone?

We searched the web over and thought we found your real Error,

But you found another Forum, and -- You was gone."

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 8/30/2021 at 1:12 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Some say he migrated to a small town in France.  Others say he is being anonymous and posting under now Rubicon posts as Detector Kay who posted as Patelnumis who posted as Rocky100 who posted as Robylu52 or maybe ……Elaqnore8

"Where, oh where, are you tonight?

Why did you leave us here all alone?

We searched the web over and thought we found your real Error,

But you found another Forum, and -- You was gone."

Actually I think that he is still posting here under a new assumed name.  hm

On 8/30/2021 at 5:00 PM, Coinbuf said:

I am inclined to lean toward @Coinbuf's alibi. Don't forget, he was in the midst of recovering from a serious wreck and was likely under the influence of painkillers. The only member champing at the bit and cleared to travel internationally is our very own @VKurtB. I miss @Ratzie33's  fastidious quirkiness.

Actually I think that he is still posting here under a new assumed name

Actually I think you are correct.  You can change the name but you cannot change the style.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:33 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am inclined to lean toward @Coinbuf's alibi. Don't forget, he was in the midst of recovering from a serious wreck and was likely under the influence of painkillers. The only member champing at the bit and cleared to travel internationally is our very own @VKurtB. I miss @Ratzie33's  fastidious quirkiness.

Am I cleared for takeoff on runway 5R? (Joking: the home airport only does 18 & 36. Much like the prevailing winds.)

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/30/2021 at 9:19 PM, VKurtB said:

Am I cleared for takeoff on runway 5R? (Joking: the home airport only does 18 & 36. Much like the prevailing winds.)

[PM:  Incidentally, I believe 3.7 cms. is the norm. My previous 4.2 is now 4.3, but I am taking it easy. A 5.5 is cause for concern. Everything else is under control. I trust you are doing just fine but doubt I could manage an itinerary like yours. All the best!] 🐓 

Yep.  And that name is SlickCoins. Or 107-year-old Hector John Waynee.

Edited by Mohawk

On 8/30/2021 at 11:11 PM, Mohawk said:

Yep.  And that name is SlickCoins. Or 107-year-old Hector John Waynee.

This is one of the more brilliant deductions I've seen on this site since at least the Paleozoic era. By jove, I believe you're right!

On 8/31/2021 at 11:01 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

This is one of the more brilliant deductions I've seen on this site since at least the Paleozoic era. By jove, I believe you're right!

I know you're planning to retire from active collecting once you hit your 70th birthday, but I hope you stick around here after that. You often crack me up on here!!!!