• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,486 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2021 at 3:22 PM, rocket23 said:

IMG-0030.thumb.jpeg.c94cc3eacd942951ef5c5c28a020ff6e.jpeg

roll machine error...or something else??

[Forgive me, Rocket man, for ruminating out loud here]... I want to believe, however unlikely, that some shnook mistook a coin for a coaster but the dead-on-balls precision of the damage is highly suggestive of malicious aforethought and intent. (Reminds me of that '37 three-cent Feuchtwanger sporting similar localized damage apparently caused by the application of a small diameter wooden dowel to the center of the reverse which was then slowly rotated long enough and with enough pressure to leave a tell-tale circular mark virtually impossible to ignore -- except by the third-party grader which  inexplicably assigned it a superior upper tier grade, without comment, thereby enabling its owner to command a stratospheric price. In coin collecting it's poor form to point out the glaringly obvious:  "Hey guys, what about that, whatchamacallit, on the back ?"  Retort: you buyin' or jus' cryin'? Read the sign: PRINCIPALS ONLY!  Caveat emptor.

9 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[Forgive me, Rocket man, for ruminating out loud here]... I want to believe, however unlikely, that some shnook mistook a coin for a coaster but the dead-on-balls precision of the damage is highly suggestive of malicious aforethought and intent. (Reminds me of that '37 three-cent Feuchtwanger sporting similar localized damage apparently caused by the application of a small diameter wooden dowel to the center of the reverse which was then slowly rotated long enough and with enough pressure to leave a tell-tale circular mark virtually impossible to ignore -- except by the third-party grader which  inexplicably assigned it a superior upper tier grade, without comment, thereby enabling its owner to command a stratospheric price. In coin collecting it's poor form to point out the glaringly obvious:  "Hey guys, what about that, whatchamacallit, on the back ?"  Retort: you buyin' or jus' cryin'? Read the sign: PRINCIPALS ONLY!  Caveat emptor.

question remains...is it a roll machine deal...I personally don't have a clue...nor do I own the penny...posted for a friend....hand to my heart.

On 2/11/2021 at 4:40 PM, rocket23 said:

question remains...is it a roll machine deal...I personally don't have a clue...nor do I own the penny...posted for a friend....hand to my heart.

Damage from a coin counter would be my guess, usually its more towards the rim than it is on this coin but it is the most plausible explanation.