• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,487 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Lem E said:

Having some imaging done by Joe “Crazyhounddog” B. (aka Buffalo Head). They are far beyond my expectations. I don’t have much copper but here is one of them. NGC MS63BN

F732944F-F2BA-4944-9E58-C11946E2018B.jpeg

DD470786-3D2C-45E8-A228-E25CBF219989.jpeg

Sweet looking Lincoln !!!!!  Love it. 

38 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Humble off-the-cuff observation...

The photography skills of Buffalo Head greatly exceed those of any photographer employed by the various TPGS, since their inception.

I agree. His photos are amazing. I really like them. Alot 

Edited by Hoghead515

He captures the true beauty of them. He's got a good setup and the skill to go with it. Ive tried everything with what I have and can't get it right. Without buying a more expensive set up the pictures I been taking is as good as it gets for me. 

[I found two cents today.  One was a brown Wheatie dated 1941. The other was a bright shiny 2020.  I asked my wife which of the two was more valuable. She smiled and said the new one.  I said, "No, it's this one," handing her the old Lincoln "because it's worth a lot more based on copper content alone."  She asked me what I was going to do with the other one. I answered truthfully: throw it into the street where it belongs. And I did. True story.]

There's nothing like the real thing.

43 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

WAIT !!!

There's more......

pair.jpg.aa1fda4fb4475b1d00668f7673d4015c.jpg

:wink:

Very lovely.  The stars are literally united. Nice catch!

12 minutes ago, dleonard-3 said:

WOW!  That is one amazing cameo SMS cent.  Those don't come around very often.  I'm very envious.

Yeah love the cameo SMS coins!!!  Looking for a 1980 70 Ultra Cameo next. Tough to find though. 

On 7/20/2021 at 12:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

1916Sccomp.jpg

Hey Coinbuf, beautiful Cent! If I may Sir, would you mind if I attempt my feeble grading skills (or an attempt therefore) on this one? I am SO badly trying to learn better at assigning grades (even remotely close at this point) to my coins, predominantly Lincolns.  Am I even in the ballpark in saying this one went 66 'ish' R?

On 7/20/2021 at 9:50 AM, GBrad said:

Hey Coinbuf, beautiful Cent! If I may Sir, would you mind if I attempt my feeble grading skills (or an attempt therefore) on this one? I am SO badly trying to learn better at assigning grades (even remotely close at this point) to my coins, predominantly Lincolns.  Am I even in the ballpark in saying this one went 66 'ish' R?

Thank you for the kind words sir; NGC graded it as MS65RB, there is some light tan coloring that does not show up as much in this photo as it does in hand.   The strike is MS67 quality and the luster would support an MS66 grade; while I will never know for sure I suspect that the two dark spots on the reverse are what held it back in grade.   CAC liked it enough to give a green bean, so your MS66 guess is very close.

I have considered cracking it and sending to PCGS just to see if it would go MS66, but I'm not one for those kind of games.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 7/20/2021 at 1:12 PM, Coinbuf said:

NGC graded it as MS65RB, there is some light tan coloring that does not show up as much in this photo as it does in hand.   The strike is MS67 quality and the luster would support an MS66 grade; while I will never know for sure I suspect that the two dark spots on the reverse are what held it back in grade.   CAC liked it enough to give a green bean, so your MS66 guess is very close.

I have considered cracking it and sending to PCGS just to see if it would go MS66, but I'm not one for those kind of games.

Thank you for your reply to my question Chris.  I really appreciate it.  No bologna and in all honesty, before I commented on it being possibly MS66, I also believed the strike to be exceptional and it appeared to have very nice luster (even though it appears Red in the photo but RB's can still have nice eye appeal).. right along the same lines of thinking as an expert such of your caliber (which I am not!!!!) but it makes me feel a tad bit better that I am starting to see the correct aspects that I need to examine in applying my grading skills.  I did notice the small spots on the reverse but was hoping it would not be a major deciding factor.  I'm pretty stoked that I got that close!  Thanks!

On 7/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, GBrad said:

Thank you for your reply to my question Chris.  I really appreciate it.  No bologna and in all honesty, before I commented on it being possibly MS66, I also believed the strike to be exceptional and it appeared to have very nice luster (even though it appears Red in the photo but RB's can still have nice eye appeal).. right along the same lines of thinking as an expert such of your caliber (which I am not!!!!) but it makes me feel a tad bit better that I am starting to see the correct aspects that I need to examine in applying my grading skills.  I did notice the small spots on the reverse but was hoping it would not be a major deciding factor.  I'm pretty stoked that I got that close!  Thanks!

Something to also consider when looking at this and similar coins and guessing a TPG grade is the effect of the pop numbers.   For example NGC shows 55 in MS65 and 3 in MS66 for the RB color, while only 5 in MS65 and 1 in MS66 for RD no plus graded coins in either group.   PCGS pop report shows 55 in MS65 and 1 in MS66 for RB with 29 in MS65 and a lone MS65+ in the RD group.   Interestingly both services have higher pops for BN as NGC shows 4 at MS66 and PCGS shows 1 with a lone MS66+ for brown coins.  For what its worth I would take my coin over any (save that 66+BN as its gorgeous) that I seen photos of or in hand

The point I'm making is that like it or not the pops do have an influence on what happens in the grading room, graders may not be looking up pop numbers but they are aware of these things and it can have an effect at some subconscious level.  These numbers also influence my thought process on if I would want to crack and resubmit, I'm already near the top and it would suck if I were to crack it and get a lower grade or even an opinion of recolored. doh!

On 7/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, Coinbuf said:

Something to also consider when looking at this and similar coins and guessing a TPG grade is the effect of the pop numbers.   For example NGC shows 55 in MS65 and 3 in MS66 for the RB color, while only 5 in MS65 and 1 in MS66 for RD no plus graded coins in either group.   PCGS pop report shows 55 in MS65 and 1 in MS66 for RB with 29 in MS65 and a lone MS65+ in the RD group.   Interestingly both services have higher pops for BN as NGC shows 4 at MS66 and PCGS shows 1 with a lone MS66+ for brown coins.  For what its worth I would take my coin over any (save that 66+BN as its gorgeous) that I seen photos of or in hand

The point I'm making is that like it or not the pops do have an influence on what happens in the grading room, graders may not be looking up pop numbers but they are aware of these things and it can have an effect at some subconscious level.  These numbers also influence my thought process on if I would want to crack and resubmit, I'm already near the top and it would suck if I were to crack it and get a lower grade or even an opinion of recolored. doh!

Great info here.  I always somewhat figured that pop reports have an effect as you mention.  Whether subconsciously or not, one would have to assume this.  I did look up that Brown MS66+.... WOW.... beautiful to say the least with that toning and not to mention what it may go for.  And regarding cracking it..... uh... that one is a toughie for sure.  

@Coinbuf With or without an enhanced evaluation, you made a mature decision.  Your Lincolns are unsurpassed. You' re the only member who has dared to publicly proclaim you will not be a slave to a specific TPGS. That's pretty gutsy and I cannot help but respect your position.   🐓

On 7/20/2021 at 2:05 PM, GBrad said:

Great info here.  I always somewhat figured that pop reports have an effect as you mention.  Whether subconsciously or not, one would have to assume this.  I did look up that Brown MS66+.... WOW.... beautiful to say the least with that toning and not to mention what it may go for.  And regarding cracking it..... uh... that one is a toughie for sure.  

Getting a “red book”will help in your grading skills imho