• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,487 posts in this topic

@Mohawk: Yes, to the ever-lasting consternation of those who've somehow managed to tolerate and survive my acerbic tongue and wit, I will maintain a lower profile while maintaining my membership. I may even limit my remarks in deference to @Oldhoopster. The biggest shock to me in the past two years is inadvertently breaking the spell roosters have had on me and suddenly realizing I have a wife and am married!  She is quieter than a church mouse.  Besides that, I would appreciate living long enough to see if @RWB's prophecy comes true, the emergence of MS-67 graded Roosters in the "original" series, 1899-1906, as submissions for certifications continue.  

On 8/31/2021 at 4:32 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk: Yes, to the ever-lasting consternation of those who've somehow managed to tolerate and survive my acerbic tongue and wit, I will maintain a lower profile while maintaining my membership. I may even limit my remarks in deference to @Oldhoopster. The biggest shock to me in the past two years is inadvertently breaking the spell roosters have had on me and suddenly realizing I have a wife and am married!  She is quieter than a church mouse.  Besides that, I would appreciate living long enough to see if @RWB's prophecy comes true, the emergence of MS-67 graded Roosters in the "original" series, 1899-1906, as submissions for certifications continue.  

I'm glad to hear that you will remain, even if it is a lower profile.  I, for one, appreciate your acerbic tongue and wit quite a bit!! You've given me quite a few chuckles and grins and I really do love your take on things.  BTW......how is your wife taking your sudden discovery that she exists and that you're married to her? As for Roger's prophecy......it just might come true.  I'll admit that I know next to nothing about gold Roosters (my Faustina addiction is numismatically all consuming), but I'm sure if it does happen, you or he will let us all know.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:07 PM, Mohawk said:

I'm glad to hear that you will remain, even if it is a lower profile.  I, for one, appreciate your acerbic tongue and wit quite a bit!! You've given me quite a few chuckles and grins and I really do love your take on things.  BTW......how is your wife taking your sudden discovery that she exists and that you're married to her? As for Roger's prophecy......it just might come true.  I'll admit that I know next to nothing about gold Roosters (my Faustina addiction is numismatically all consuming), but I'm sure if it does happen, you or he will let us all know.

If I so much as think about writing about my wife, this guy will show up::signofftopic:. Now, as regarding @RWB's prophecy, certifications are mounting steadily. Of the nearly 8 billion people on this planet, I would estimate, conservatively speaking, some 3/4, or 6 billion are well aware of my interest in securing the finest Roosters possible the majority of which lie out there somewhere, likely in Europe, awaiting discovery by a young boy or girl who has yet to be introduced to coin collecting and TPGS.  I appreciate your kind comments.   🐓 

[Note to the numismatists for whom Truth in Advertising still has meaning...

if you intend to collect the finest U.S. one cent pieces compiled anywhere on this planet, do not succumb to expediency and call them a contiuation of the copper cents series.  They are not. The transition period is interesting, but superfluous.  Stick to your slingshots and state the matter as it is:  Any Lincoln Cent produced over the past 40 years or so contains 97.5% zinc [Zn] with a barely perceptible finishing school look of 97.5% Barbizon copper [Cu].

To refer to these coins as anything other than what they really are is a disservice to numismatists and coin collectors alike.   🐓 

On 9/6/2021 at 4:44 AM, Lem E said:

Pretty thick W in WE.

IMG_E4828-tile.JPG

A beautiful 36' Wheatie there Lem E! You made me have to look into this one and your comment about the W in WE.  I may be mistaken but all the photograde pics of this year and mint I looked at, as well as coppercoins.com, seem to have the same looking style of W, just the way it was designed I suppose.  It looks like the lower bottom 'right point' of the W does extend further down than the left lower point (for a lack of better words) which appears consistent for this year from what I just researched.  Still a nice Cent!

On 9/6/2021 at 3:45 PM, GBrad said:

I really like your photo setup @Lem E.  Maybe one day I'll have a nice setup like this and not have to use my cruddy cell phone......

Actually these are done with my cell phone. My set up is nothing more than setting my phone on top of a coffee cup and the lighting is just a table lamp. Raw coins come out so much better than slabbed. You don’t have to fight the glare on the plastic. Then I just crop and combine the pics using photoscapeX. Nothing fancy at all.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

1909css-Comp-Reflection.jpg

Great example of what I think is actually the most interesting of the 1909 cents by a considerable margin!!! Thanks for sharing that one Coinbuf!