• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,472 posts in this topic

@Coinbuf I was thinking over the AU58 grade last night.  I net graded this because of the scattered marks on the front.  I respect your opinion on this - a MS64 and a AU58 technical grade is quite a disparity.  I can return this coin, and keep the hunt.  I see the weak strike in the 4-5 star and the L in the crown, but I don't really see wear here that would make it AU.

My initial Braided Hair set was to be in all Red-Brown, however, I want to finish the set before I am dead.  So, I have let some brown slide into the tougher red dates.  I don't want my lust for redness to blind me from a huge technical disparity.  I can deal with a 64-to-62 sacrifice for the red... but if wear dictates this a technical AU58, I will have to rethink the coin.  

Caveat - coin still needed in-hand.

I have to admit that I was rather surprised at a grade of MS64, but as you noted neither of us has seen it in hand yet.   So once you have it then you can really tell if the luster is full, from the photos it seems somewhat subdued.   But that may just be the photo, sometimes large photos have a tendency to make a dark coin look dull or darker.   And I am also looking at the cheek and fields and interpreting some signs of circulation which the photo may be exaggerating somewhat.

Overall the coin has a great look with as you noted a lot of red for the BN designation, and some weakness around the crown peak and "L" as well as the 4th and 5th stars is not terribly unusual for this date.   That does not mean that you cannot find this date with a full crisp strike, even at the MS64 grade there are some very fully struck examples.

Price is a substantial factor too, you do not want to pay full boat for a not quite all there example.   You know the series, probably better than I do, so I'm sure that once you have it in hand you will know if she is a keeper or not

I know this sounds like a "duh!" statement, but I never want to buy a bad coin.  I never assume I know more that anyone on this forum, as many of you have been collecting and dealing in coins since before I knew these coins existed.  When it comes to grading, many of you have a more skilled eye than I do, so I take opinions seriously.  I will have to take a very critical look at this coin, given the feedback. 

I would like to thank @Coinbuf and the forum for the gut-checks and opinions.  Please, I encourage everyone to speak your mind on anything I post.  This is how I learn... and while I may not always agree with every post, the counter-arguments are always welcomed and considered.  I want to am going to build a "great" collection of coins, and having feedback and perspective from the veteran collectors is invaluable in assisting me in the identification, evaluation and acquisition of "great" coins. 

Thank you! (thumbsu

@R__Rash I don't think you are posting bad coins at all.  You are posting circulated coins, and circulated coins have a lot of character.  A "bad" coin is a coin that is overgraded, overpriced, or one that doesn't fit into one's collecting strategy.  If a coin has problems, but (s)he has accounted for them in the buying process and it "fits" with the rest of the set, it can be great.

I have a friend that works as an auctioneer at a local coin/stamp auction.  He kept coming across Buffalo Nickels that have that same brown/grey/black toning on them.  These coins are all culls, and he was able to get them for free because of his affiliation with the auction house.  Over 20 years, he built an entire set of buffalo nickels (less the 3-legs and overdates) in this condition - all visually matched.  It's not a valuable set, but it is a VERY cool looking set when you see it assembled.  Visual connoisseurship can happen at any level in this hobby!   

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

@Coinbuf et al.  Thanks again for the opinions.  Unfortunately, this half cent is not the coin for me.  I have removed the pictures of the coin in question, because I do not want to be sour on what is someone else's coin.  In all actuality, it is a nice coin... but, it certainly is not an MS64 (or even a 60 for that matter).  There were a few bruises that the pictures did not show.    

I know this is mostly a "show-and-tell" picture thread, but the feedback certainly assisted me in thinking this through.  Thanks again!  And, I apologize for any distractions.  :tonofbricks:

Back to the hunt!