• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,335 posts in this topic

My newest coin arrived from Australia. This is part of a 1998 multi coin proof set commemorating some of the beautiful coin designs of Australia during the 20th Century. It was only released as part of that set, not separately. The sets were released in a mintage of only 15,000 which is relatively small by modern standards.

The coin is raw for now, but will be making it to NGC sometime in the next month or two.

128538.jpg.ec74dc4d5c58f7ba486fc0b573c695ef.jpg

Very nice!! The real Melbourne florin would have cost you a pretty penny.

I saw one of these sets in my favorite B&M and didnt buy it. When I went back a few days later it was gone :cry:

Very nice!! The real Melbourne florin would have cost you a pretty penny.

I saw one of these sets in my favorite B&M and didnt buy it. When I went back a few days later it was gone :cry:

Hi John,

The real Melbourne Florin is on my want list for the next 12 months. I have seen 4 sell over the past 18 months in MS63 or better grade -- all went for over $1000. A really nice PCGS MS64 sold 2 weeks ago for ~$1200, and I almost pulled the trigger, but it was gone before I could pull the funds together. :(

In the meantime, this beautiful restrike will have to do. There is a dealer on eBay in Darwin, NT (woof-back) with a nice selection of the coins from this set sold individually for around $30AU each. His images are not very good, but the coin in hand (as you can see) is perfect. The shipping was a bit steep (another $10), but I have never seen this set for sell anywhere in the US.

-Brandon

Picked this one up tonight and it was a battle! http://boards.collectors-society.com/images/icons/default/ooo.gif

I have been eyeing the Danish 20 Kroner from this era of Christian IX and have been looking for a good specimen for my foreign coin gold coin collection. Pics are courtesy of PCGS the cin is PCGS MS-66 in a secure holder http://boards.collectors-society.com/images/icons/default/laugh.gif

Pianoman, that is one beautiful specimen, and it's one of the few "modern" gold European monarchs I haven't yet been able to acquire (I am so jealous! :takeit: )

Congrads on all the new purchases ... they are all stunning. And I see Brandon picked up yet another new occupant for the stables :)

Thanks CyberspaceVoid and nunfa0 I have been eyeing this coin for some time.

I am trying to collect pre 1935 MS-66 or better 20 Franacs and Kroners without breaking the bank and have some other gold coin pics to share that I'll add another time .

BTW, nunfa0 I like your NZ Half Penny and that guy on the horse from the reverse side of the 1998 Florin from brg5658 looks like he could have attended tonight's opening ceremonies from London! Neat coin!

Picked up this nice $1 British Virgin Islands antiqued brushed bronze finish coin minted in 2010. I'm not aware of any other coins minted with this particular process. The finish reminds me of a brushed brass door knob, with clear brush marks and hairlines in the fields, a darkened "antiquing" around the devices and lettering, and intentionally minted as such. It is a very nice high relief design, and the coin has great "feel" in hand at a diameter of 38.6mm and a weight of 28.3 grams. The coin design was also minted in 0.925 Silver proof finish with a denomination of $10.

128755.jpg.29e99c28235bc2e9df5245dd22a5151e.jpg

Another horse arrived today. It celebrates the 500th anniversary of the opening in 1477 of the Hall Mint of Tyrol. The mint is significant historically as it is the birthplace of the first large size silver coin in 1486 that would later become known as a Taler.

128873.jpg.6d868881292985a0aff84e1bfe2ff4e2.jpg

The finish reminds me of a brushed brass door knob, with clear brush marks and hairlines in the fields, a darkened "antiquing" around the devices and lettering, and intentionally minted as such.

lol First thing I thought was that the graders are going to have a really tough time deciding if it has been whizzed.

Beautiful coins, all!

Bought these raw from several of our British friends across the pond in the last year. Just back from NGC they are al now safely in all in my stable of Britannia modern 10 pound gold coins!

Sigh, unfortunately the system limits me to five pics. Needless to say the queen looks the same on all three coins.

129299.jpg.01adf8116a50e32bca08a591aaf49031.jpg

129300.jpg.0da4ee7bc21e3ae3688e1b721535dde7.jpg

129301.jpg.f4866f59b37702dee4cb2a2fb9da87da.jpg

129302.jpg.e313be9d76049d3c40c67b857ebfaffa.jpg

129303.jpg.efb460fc365e14ebcc88a1f1a15a6736.jpg

This one came today. I simply could not resist purchasing it.

The coin commemorates the 30th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Rome in 1957. This treaty was originally signed by 6 countries (France, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, and West Germany). The treaty led to the establishment of the European Economic Community, and would later eventually lead to the backbone of the current day European Union. At the time this coin was minted in 1987, the member countries had grown to 12 with the addition of Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, and the UK. The twelve horses pulling the one "30 Year" emblem signify these member countries and their goal of fostering unity among the European countries. It has some pretty toning on the obverse to boot! :D

1987G_Germany_10M_NGC_MS67_European_Unity_composite.jpg

Wow you guys have been busy while I was away!! Brandon, you will have to expand the stables soon!!

I couldn't pass up snagging these two. I love these Italian quadriga designs! The designs are similar, but definitely different. One more noticeable difference is the horses ears point up/forward on the 1 Lira from 1913, but point back on the 1915 2 Lire. The obverse designs are more obviously different with the 1 Lira having a chain/rope encircling the bust, while the 2 Lira has a simple circle of words.

1913_Italy_1Lira_NGC_MS65_toned_composite.jpg

1915_Italy_2Lire_NGC_MS65_composite.jpg

Beautiful medal Kim!

I picked up these two Hungarian restrike pieces in a Heritage Auction about 10 days ago. The finally arrived today so I snapped a few pictures.

129791.jpg.acd817f6ab63e60608a93c557bc464bf.jpg

129792.jpg.93cb6a73287f821694b29ea68e138e7c.jpg