• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,335 posts in this topic

Better date of a 2 year-only issue. Distinctive reverse sets it apart from the other Norway and Sweden issues from the era. Believe it or not, this one is kind of beat-up for the issue, most I've seen turn-up in MS64 or better, at least when in a slab. There are some abrassions near the beard that take the grade down on this one, but still attractive overall and very cheap for the issue, less than $900.

122847.jpg.d75d5abe2613e22384b74825b0fa80ca.jpg

122848.jpg.3dbb7d86226ca9c3d05a6c22e1790566.jpg

122849.jpg.394e9d73afb97031006c6244611383ed.jpg

122850.jpg.ffd854e3980676666a5a393e7327c43a.jpg

Edited by princeofwaldo

My newest pick-up. This is a 1946 Luxembourg 100 Francs. This coin was struck in two separate versions. The larger quantity (98,000 pieces) was struck including the designers name on the reverse between the 1946 and the word "BLANNEN". An additional 2,000 pieces were struck without the designers name, and this is one of those rarer pieces. This particular coin is graded MS66 by PCGS.

Here is the listing in the NGC World Coin Catalog.

123307.jpg.8bc0af2712969893a3243b6749de261d.jpg

123308.jpg.160adab7efc50f63e345d3171856508d.jpg

I picked this one up in the past week. IT was a stunner when I received it, given the seller's images from eBay were less than optimal. It's much nicer than I was expecting!

125298.jpg.f6d76f716b596a318b3eaf8f17b98f6f.jpg

Here's my Heritage CICF auction wins. Bidding was really strong for this type of material. I didn't get the 3 lots I really wanted... they went for much more than I was willing to pay so I'm okay with it. At least that's what I keep telling myself, lol.

FRA-Salut-1422.jpg

NETH-Florin-1492-Gelderland.jpg

SPA-Dobla-1406-Seville.jpg

SPA-2Excelentes-1476-Seville.jpg

Ok, I looked for this one for a year. The MS examples I have seen go for $300+. I found this nicely toned AU55 piece from a dealer in Greece for less than $75.

For a coin with a mintage of 4.5 million, I can't believe how hard this one was to find!!

125496.jpg.bb95fb6715639ec24a5217d899747b3d.jpg

Another shortage of small change in Britain gave rise to a surge in commercial tokens beginning in 1811.

Unlike the Conder tokens which were produced in a bewildering variety of interesting designs,

the tokens of 1811-1819 (I call them "Withers tokens" after the most popular reference)

were produced for use in commerce and typically had simple logos or industrial themes.

Uncirculated examples of most of these tokens are much harder to find than uncirculated Conders.

Here's one from today's Heritage sale, Withers 1200, Weybridge Mills by Bunn & Co.

LargeObv.png

LargeRev.png

I had to have one of these because I love the obverse. It's not rare at all (1.1 billion minted), but it is a beauty! :) Picked this up on eBay for less than $10.

I think PCGS is a little lenient on world coins. I would grade this MS65 or MS64.

125827.jpg.ac40fd792b6b12d82b8fa5bf866fd14e.jpg

I think PCGS is a little lenient on world coins. I would grade this MS65 or MS64.

Perhaps they realized that the Euro has never been flawless lol

The coin is indeed a beautiful, but I wonder when they designed why they showed all the Euro countries at the time (plus Britian, who they were still hopeing to tempt into the venture) as seperate? Very ironic to me!

Hats off to the Brits for keeping out of that mess!

Purchased this on eBay:

6.jpg

6R.jpg

New to the boards, my name is John Grillo and I live in San Antonio Texas. I enjoy collecting Mexican coins (I live in San Antonio)...I am an Academic Chair at Northwest Vista College in San Antonio and I have my Doctorate in Business Administration. Hope to learn as much as I can here as I am still a novice.

New to the boards, my name is John Grillo and I live in San Antonio Texas. I enjoy collecting Mexican coins (I live in San Antonio)...I am an Academic Chair at Northwest Vista College in San Antonio and I have my Doctorate in Business Administration. Hope to learn as much as I can here as I am still a novice.

Welcome to the boards, John!

Thats a really nice 8 Real Pillar you got there ... I see the shipwreck notation, but I can't barely see what might be the salt water effect.The only Mexican coins I have, besides what I have picked up in change, are a few early 50 Peso Centenarios so It will be a pleasure to see what you have been collecting :)

Wendy

Welcome to the boards, John!

Thats a really nice 8 Real Pillar you got there ... I see the shipwreck notation, but I can't barely see what might be the salt water effect.The only Mexican coins I have, besides what I have picked up in change, are a few early 50 Peso Centenarios so It will be a pleasure to see what you have been collecting :)

Wendy

Wendy...this I do not understand as some (most) have saltwater damage and others seem to unaffected. How were some of these Reales protected from the seawater? These coins unaffected by the sea water run between 250 - 300 dollars and the coins affected run between 50 - 100 dollars. I love the El Cazador coins along with the 19th Century Reales and Peso. Aside from the bullion Libertads (of which the mintages are extremely low for a modern coin) I do not enjoy collecting modern coins.

I am a former baseball card collector and the similarities (in terms of the grading debates) are strikingly similar.

Sincerely,

John

Wendy...this I do not understand as some (most) have saltwater damage and others seem to unaffected. How were some of these Reales protected from the seawater? These coins unaffected by the sea water run between 250 - 300 dollars and the coins affected run between 50 - 100 dollars. I love the El Cazador coins along with the 19th Century Reales and Peso. Aside from the bullion Libertads (of which the mintages are extremely low for a modern coin) I do not enjoy collecting modern coins.

That is quite evident from your linked collection. I am going to have fun going thru them, but it is going to take quite a while to do so! :applause:

As for the shipwreck effect, my only possible thought why some appear better preserved than others is in the mixture of metals. Few of these early pieces are throughly mixed and many would have more reactive metals exposed to the salt water. Either way, you have a stellar piece :)

John, welcome to the boards! That's a great new acquisition. I really find the Mexican coins beautiful up through about 1950. The Libertads of the 1980s to present are also beautiful (agree on all counts with you). I have been looking for a nice Caballito for quite some time; just haven't quite found that special one. I enjoyed looking through all of your pictures. I'll post here my only Mexican coin.

125938.jpg.afc2b8d698808f2c13dad10f6d350145.jpg

125939.jpg.31ec33c4d1747db4d691e08e705822da.jpg