• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,325 posts in this topic

Winston, what a great 2nd Birthday present! (thumbs u

Here are a couple that arrived today. They are both 0.999 Silver, 1oz matte finish coins.

2001_Ghana_500Sika_NGC_MS66Matte_composite_zps7948a076.jpg

2004_Togo_1000F_Convex_NGC_SP69_composite_zpsb90e0119.jpg

Here are a couple that arrived today. They are both 0.999 Silver, 1oz matte finish coins.

2001_Ghana_500Sika_NGC_MS66Matte_composite_zps7948a076.jpg

2004_Togo_1000F_Convex_NGC_SP69_composite_zpsb90e0119.jpg

I like the matte finish on these; they are more reminiscent of medals than circulating coinage with the finish. I like them very much.

Thanks Brandon. I've been quietly enjoying seeing your new coins, which I admittedly know nothing about, but I do like all the designs. Very cool :applause:

This is my most recent graded acqusition......it's a rare one! It UNC detailed, but this is one you can't be too picky on!

134944.jpg.02973e779e3a6726e1ebf4e503c00663.jpg

134945.jpg.1ba0fba0ec28007913dc3a5cb43e9544.jpg

Got these four coins last week.

2c_NGC_MS66BN_composite_zps24f38ead.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>_NGC_MS66BN_composite_zps24f38ead.jpg'>

1888-7_Belgian_Congo_5C_NGC_MS66RB_composite_zpsbfc925ce.jpg

1927R_Albania_1-4Leku_NGC_MS66_composite_zpsf38763be.jpg

1965_Netherland_Gulden_NGC_MS65_Toned_composite_zpsd6ef4c6b.jpg

Hello,

I have only taken a "serious" interest in coin collecting since about 8 months ago, and my grading skills are not yet what I want them to be.

Out of pure curiosity, can you help me out here - on the '65 Gulden, why does it look like the Queen's hair and ear has wear from circulation? Was it really struck like that, or is there actual wear? If it's the latter, how did it receive the mint state grade?

Thanks a lot for helping out an old collector who only recently got serious!

(By the way: amazing friggin' coin. I am a sucker for beautiful toning like that!)

Edited by ChrisHagen

Hello,

I have only taken a "serious" interest in coin collecting since about 8 months ago, and my grading skills are not yet what I want them to be.

Out of pure curiosity, can you help me out here - on the '65 Gulden, why does it look like the Queen's hair and ear has wear from circulation? Was it really struck like that, or is there actual wear? If it's the latter, how did it receive the mint state grade?

Thanks a lot for helping out an old collector who only recently got serious!

(By the way: amazing friggin' coin. I am a sucker for beautiful toning like that!)

There is no wear on the coin. There are two other factors that may make it look like wear, but the coin in hand is fully lustrous and clearly uncirculated.

First, the way the toning lays on the coin makes it appear as if some of the high spots have wear because they are untoned. This type of toning pattern is not all that uncommon, and has to do with the way that gases in the air circulate around the coin surfaces. The particular coin spent almost 50 years in a Meghrig World Coin album with a high sulfur content.

Second, what looks like rub on the highest points of the coin is actually an incomplete strike. When a coin is not completely struck, the metal is not fully squeezed into the deepest parts of the die (the highest parts of the design). These areas will appear with the pre-struck planchet hits and dings, and they don't exhibit the metal flow lines and frosty luster of the metal that was struck at high pressure into the die.

Close-up of obverse:

1981050_Full_Obv.jpg

I can't afford the real 1486 Guldiner, so I will have to settle for this nice restrike example from 1953. I found the yellow toning with some hints of other colors to be quite attractive.

1953_Austria_Guldiner_Restrike_NGC_MS66_composite_zps9b668542.jpg

1953_Austria_Guldiner_Restrike_NGC_MS66_obv_zpsfc9efc07.jpg

1953_Austria_Guldiner_Restrike_NGC_MS66_rev_zps20b0bd5c.jpg

Beautiful!

Here's another Austrian restrike from 1963 of a 1642 double ducat...

XM29-1.jpg

XM29-2.jpg

XM29-3.jpg

I sold this when gold was at $800 an ounce. Wish I hadn't...

Beautiful!

Here's another Austrian restrike from 1963 of a 1642 double ducat...

I sold this when gold was at $800 an ounce. Wish I hadn't...

I have that restrike design in silver (NGC MS68). It's a great design! Love the gold one Kim; with current prices I simply can't justify the purchase though. Pity you sold yours. :(

-Brandon