• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,335 posts in this topic

This is a pattern example of the Monaco 100 Francs coin of 1950. Total mintage of 500 pieces. This coin exhibits a very strong strike, with some nice toning and cameo contrast to the devices (especially on the reverse). The coin was struck in silver, and bears the text "ESSAI" beneath the horse to denote the pattern strike.

113460.jpg.705475ae09477c1bf805139a0a91ad4a.jpg

Got another coin for my horses set. I've been looking at Venezuela coins for a while, as i love the horse on the shield on the reverse. I finally picked one up in great condition.

114771.jpg.b261c3e7a81e236e3fdf4bedf3a36607.jpg

Added this one to my horses set today. I looked for a gold one, but the prices were just too high to justify it. This is the silver version of the restrike, and I picked it up for around $45 in MS68 grade from NGC. It's a great design and addition!

116032.jpg.226a7c07111defc6dce59f0cc8e2421e.jpg

Thanks. Finding nice mint state Canada dollars that I can afford has been a challenge.

The 1948 is, of course, the key to the series but the other 40's coins (except the 1949) are tough to locate in nice condition.

Many of the dollars I have are graded by ICCS and I feel would cross over to a higher grades by NGC, since ICCS grading is extremely conservative, to say the least.

It is a very nice 1938 ad I agree it does look like a 64-65. I dont have any 1940s yet but the 30s were easy to find.

Most George V and George VI dollars of the 1930s aren't rare in lower mint state (60-63) by any means but the 1938 is tough to find in untoned condition (at a reasonable price).

The 1935 and 1936 George V are each a distinct type.

The 1937 George VI was the initial issue and thus was saved even by non-collectors, so today there are plenty of mint state coins to be found. The 1939 commem is extremely common in lower mint states.

Higher mint states (65 and over) are less common and command stiff premiums on all dates.

I generally buy ICCS graded coins, since it is the most popular grading company in Canada and has graded the most Canadian dollars. They are extremely conservative and to my knowledge have never given out an MS70 or PL70 designation for pre-1968 coins.

Even getting an MS66 from them is difficult.

When examining my ICCS graded dollars, I am convinced that the big American TPGs would grade my coins 2 or 3 points higher (that, of course, may be wishful thinking on my part :grin:) I've got a 1946 ICCS MS60 dollar that is easily MS62* and has great eye appeal.

In my quest for a Canada Dollar set, I've run across some really ugly certified coins. .800 fine Canadian silver can tone in a really ugly fashion, more so than the American 90% coins, so as ever - buy the coin, not the slab. Nice examples are still out there at reasonable prices, if you take your time. I feel the series is tremendously undervalued at current levels and could really take off if this pesky recession would ever end.

This is one of my most recent acquisitions. I haven't added it to my NGC horse set formally yet as it wasn't among the NGC database options. I hope to be able to add it soon as I sent a note to Jerica requesting it's addition. The gentleman I purchased it from in Greece had it imaged when it was graded, so the PCGS photo is below.

116816.jpg.152f8f7c1cff568be40f099f167294ca.jpg

That's great Brandon. Was it part of an Olympic set or was it a regular issue?

Hi John, thanks! The 10 Euro Olympic Proofs were a part of an Olympic Set issued in a mintage of 68,000 pieces for each design. The set was quite broad and covered many sporting areas including:

Discus throwers

Javelin throwers

Long jumpers

Relay runners

Equestrian (the one I showed)

Ribbon Dancer/Acrobats

Swimming

Runners

Weight Lifters

Handball

Soccer

-------------------------------------------

Upon consulting my Krause, it seems that the issues were released in 2003 and 2004, and the equestrian issue was actually issued in 2003 (considered No Date [ND] in Krause). Thus, I was actually able to add it to my horses set after realizing this idiosyncrasy. :)

Hello

I bought this coin at a yard sale a couple of years ago but have never seen anything like it anywhere so I don't know the specifics of the coin and that's why i join this forum because i know someone here can probably identify the coin and please let me know what is it and it's value. Any help will be greatly appreciate it. Thanks

IMG_5432.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

Edited by Abraham