• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
6 6

2,325 posts in this topic

Recentl lovelies so I can complete a circulated half sovereign type set. Only a type 1 1856 in F or gF, perhaps even aVF (aussie graded) to go.

6698a.jpg6698b.jpg

1171a.jpg1171b.jpg

Be sure to enter my guess the grade giveaway in the other forum !

In the first part of the 19th century, T. Halliday produced medals with maps of the world, distances to spas and

Universities around London and the chronology of British Kings and Queens. Here's a white medal example

of the latter ending with George IV.

Merged1820HallidayKingsandQueens.jpg

I just picked this up because I thought it looked nice and I felt there wasn't much downside to the purchase. 1922B Switzerland 10F in NGC MS66. Current gold melt value is about $100. I got the coin for $150 - $7.50 for a coupon.

92086.jpg.0d6607e2c918b618b1a753195b9d0479.jpg

92087.jpg.5ac82513ccf5e7c886bf8983685e49c5.jpg

My latest purchase for my World gold coin and medal collection:

fuw3ty.jpg

Mint Year: 1928

Condition: Proof

Engraver: J. Bernhart.

Reference: Bruce: X6.

Material: Gold (.750) ASW 0.171 Oz

Diameter: 23mm

Weight: 6.48gm

From the sellers listing:

2n84ea1.jpg

Paul Ludwig Hans Anton von Beneckendorff und von Hindenburg (listen (help·info)), known universally as Paul von Hindenburg (listen (help·info)) (October 2, 1847 – August 2, 1934) was a German field marshal and statesman.

Hindenburg enjoyed a long if undistinguished career in the Prussian army, eventually retiring in 1911. He was recalled at the outbreak of the First World War, and first came to national attention, at the age of sixty-six, as the victor at Tannenberg in 1914. As Germany's supreme commander from 1916, he and his chief of staff, Erich Ludendorff, rose in the German public's esteem until Hindenburg came to eclipse the Kaiser himself. Hindenburg retired again in 1919, but returned to public life one more time in 1925 to be elected as the second President of Germany.

Though 84 years old and in poor health, Hindenburg was obliged to run for re-election in 1932 as the only candidate who could defeat Adolf Hitler, which he did in a runoff. In his second term as President, he did what he could to oppose the Nazi Party's rise to power, but was eventually obliged to appoint Hitler as Chancellor in January 1933. In March he signed the Enabling Act of 1933 which gave special powers to Hitler's government. Hindenburg died the next year, after which Hitler declared the office of President vacant and made himself the "Führer", or the combination of the president and chancellor.

The famed zeppelin Hindenburg that was destroyed by fire in 1937 had been named in his honour, as is the causeway joining the island of Sylt to mainland Schleswig-Holstein, the Hindenburgdamm, built during his time in office.

That is a very cool medal and a neat peice of history, I am just surprised by the size, only 23mm and 6.5g, seems like from the photos it should be about 40mm and 30g!

Thank you. Yes the seller did a great job of imaging these. There were a couple of different designs available for this medal and also a similar one which is half the size and just over 3 grams if I remember correctly.

I have made other purchases, but this one recently is very nice.. since I am a Tiger, I got the type set collection which includes a bullion 1oz tiger, proof, colour, and gilded. Here are the latter 3..

yearofthetigersilverpro.jpg

2010yearofthetigersilve.jpg

And this is how it looks..

2010yearofthetigertypse.jpg

Beautiful !! :D one proud tiger here..

19th Century British copper tokens are generally not as pretty as Conder tokens and fewer were saved in uncirculated condition,

but their simple utilitarian designs still appeal to me.

MergedWithers563.jpg

Edited by yarm

Damn nice !! that is way cool. Thats a real low mintage !

Is there haze on there ? if so send it to NCS ! if you are unsure, send it to NCS ! the evaluation fee would be worth them looking at it surely ? if there is anything like haze that is..

I went to the Tucson Coin Show this weekend hoping to pick up one of those beautiful tigers (particularly the colored version).

No luck and the only dealer with a nice stock of tiger and other animal coins assured me no colored version existed! Oh, well.

yarm,

The colour one actually sold just as fast if not quicker than the other 2 types (gilt, proof). Gilt is still available online. Proof is sold out.

You can see why ! the colour tiger looks stunning.

I might be able to hook you up, can't promise anything but will see what I can do to order you one through a dealer friend. Cheaper cost through a dealer so would end up about the same as you would have paid anyway (since you wouldn't pay GST like us poor saps) :)

My new Royal Australian Mint purchases:

100th Anniversary of Australian coinage 1910-2010 - PROOF

802640crtvlarge.jpg

I also have the UNC version from the RAM visitors gallery through a friend. I think there will be mint issued S M B C versions for Sydney Melbourne Brisbane Canberra, as there is every year for the yearly coin

50c Australia Day UNC in rolls.

802909crtvlarge.jpg

Proof selectively gold plated version

802356crtvlarge.jpg

Perth Mint shows the colour tiger "unavailable online" meaning there is still some amount of stock left assigned to Mint Shop, Phone, Fax, and mail orders.

I'll probably be getting one soon for you. Will PM you when I get a confirmation yay or nay

My latest acquisition is not a coin, but the fact that I use it to take coin photo makes it related :)

Picked-up an upgrade to my Canon 5D and took a few test shots last night with my old Sigma 105 Macro Lens.

Hope you enjoy the coins and the photos:

1842_obv_small.jpg1842_rev_small.jpg

1897_philippines_peso_small_rev.jpg1897_philippines_peso_small_obv.jpg

1815_lima_obv_small.jpg1815_lima_rev_small.jpg

1842_obv_large.jpg

1842_rev_large.jpg