• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

This medal, created for the Royal Agricultural Society Exhibition at Windsor in 1889, was made from separate 76mm high relief plates

which were then joined to form a hollow medal. Large medals were often made this way back in the 17th century.

The artist was Countess Feodora Gleichen.

MergedBHM3379-1.jpg

"What is that naked baby doing?"

R. C. Bell's "Trademen's Tickets and Private Tokens" has the following snippet on this piece.

"The coining presses were hand operated by two men, and the flans were placed on the lower die by a boy.

A skilled team could strike forty coins a minute, and as the flans were hot, and the work strenuous

a minimum of clothing was worn, the boys often being naked."

"What is that naked baby doing?"

R. C. Bell's "Trademen's Tickets and Private Tokens" has the following snippet on this piece.

"The coining presses were hand operated by two men, and the flans were placed on the lower die by a boy.

A skilled team could strike forty coins a minute, and as the flans were hot, and the work strenuous

a minimum of clothing was worn, the boys often being naked."

Wow that is SO cool !

Just got the first extra thick slab I've ever seen from NGC with a Russian 5 Kopeck piece. It looks plenty thick enough to accomodate even the British 2P cartwheels.

PS No prongs for these big suckers!

17935kopeckthickslab000002.jpg

17935kopeckthickslab000023.jpg

17935kopeckthickslab000022.jpg

My guess is that this piece was roughly equivalent to the wight and value of the contemporary British cartwheel penny and French Monneron penny.

Edited by yarm

That looks like quite an attractive coin. Not being familiar with the Russian monetary system, how much was 5 kopecks? I'd hate to have to carry around a pocket full of those suckers.

I'm not positive of the attribution or how the legend got scrunched, but I figured I ought to have at least one Spence bust in the collection.

MergedMiddlesex690.jpg

I'm not positive of the attribution or how the legend got scrunched,

Middlesex 690 if the edge says SPENCE X, 690a is it is milled, 690b if it is plain.

690b is the common one.

Not being familiar with the Russian monetary system, how much was 5 kopecks?

1/20 of a Ruble. They had a decimal coinage system of 100 kopecks to the Ruble.

Recently picked this up for my collection. It's a Siege Coinage from 1713 German (Landau) 1 Florin 4 Kreuzer. I find unusual stuff like this oddly attractive. It's about the size of a US half dollar.

From (paragraph, not the coin) the 2007 CNG Triton auction:

During the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1714), France fought against the forces of the Austrian Habsburgs to protect its claims on Spanish lands after the death of the Spanish king Charles II. Several nations, including England and the United Netherlands, joined Austria against the powerful French forces. Landau, a fortified town located in modern southwest Germany, was besieged by one of the most prominent figures of the war, Claude Louis Hector de Villars, Marshal General of France. Duke Carl Alexander of Württemburg defended the town, which fell to the French on 20 August 1713. Soon after, Villars himself negotiated the Treaty of Rastatt, ending hostilities between King Louis XIV of France and Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI of Austria. A series of klippes was produced by Landau during the French siege, likely cut from the silver plate of the town’s rich citizens.

1713landau.jpg

Greg, what metal is this made from? I know often seige coinage is made from whatever is lying around - I have seen iron, pewter, copper, pot metal, silver, and any number of other things (not necessarily from Germany, but other places as well). I find the "gun money" series of British coins very interesting, and I know their Civil War has a wealth of interesting siege issues.

Thanks Rey, As soon as I saw that big English medal I just had to have it! Not my typical area of collecting but I feel that I will definatly be expanding into it a bit more. There is just something cool about something so beautiful with a mintage of only 400 and it actually be affordable!