• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,319 posts in this topic

Well, I've been wanting to place an order for these for the better part of 2 weeks now but I wanted to wait a bit (since I've also been getting several other things). I've been wanting to get a few more Pandas so my 2008 wouldn't be sitting alone in that set. Yesterday was the earliest point that I'd told myself would be acceptable for the purchase so today I bit the bullet and bought them.

74507.jpg.10d9d4632e63793591da2f4af0a76375.jpg

74508.jpg.52afc57620c07657cb44c5a80517ce39.jpg

Not a coin, but ehh.. these came today. Radar serial is still in there, yay ! 556655

Last aussie $1 prefix is DPS, but these are still worth a few bucks each.. nice brick

dfp556558.jpg

I finally decided to order this yesterday. It's a really great coin IMO. I'm going to love looking at it in person once I get the chance.

75057.jpg.4525ba1d9089d9ed39c19755a53ab8ec.jpg

75058.jpg.38b93dd7c064dec52c4eb291f64236e5.jpg

Nice little Kiwi, went and looked and those silver $1 sell out fast ! previous years the mintages were not even met, many reached only 4000.. this one sold out fast @ 10,000 mintage

No pic yet, but received my GB 1937 1/2 Sov PF66 Cameo :D

You couldn't get a better Kiwi than that, Rev? Come on, I'm a little disappointed in you, buying such low grade stuff. ;)

You're entirely correct. Sheesh... What could I have possibly been thinking, settling for a pathetic little 70... :insane:

:roflmao: I still think it's a ^^

That unicorn looks like a proof and the kiwi looks like a reverse proof but both are graded MS, am I missing something?

That unicorn looks like a proof and the kiwi looks like a reverse proof but both are graded MS, am I missing something?

No more than the rest of us. Many of the other countries that are issuing silver bullion coins that are limited editions and intended to be semi-collectable are using Brilliant/Polished fields and devices but they're still considered "Mint State" coins. The Chinese Unicorns have a "Proof" version. The only difference is that the "Proof" coin has "P" with a circle around it in the field on one side. That's it. Other than that they're exactly the same coin. The "Mint State" has a mintage of about 50,000. The Proof has a mintage of about 8000, but it has that ugly P on it.

This coin (C-186) drips with history. On March 22, 1848, Daniele Manin began an insurrection against the Austrians (Hapsburgs) to whom Napolean had ceded the Veneto region at the end of the 18th century. The Hapsburgs had promised the Venetians self-governance as early as 1815, but they had second thoughts, especially because of the wealth that the region was producing for the empire.

The Venetians (and other provinces of the Veneto region) thought initially that they would receive support both from Piedmont to the northwest (Charles Albert/House of Savoy) and from the Catholic Church and Papal States to the south (Pope Pius IX). Manin was wrong. The Pope would not enter into conflict with the Catholic Hapsburgs, and Charles Albert abandoned support at the risk of losing territory.

The Venetian assembly voted to merge with Piedmont, which was already at war with Austria. Charles Albert pulled out of the deal after a few days to save his own skin, leaving Manin and the provisional government to fend entirely for themselves. Surrender came a year later, in August 1849, after hard fighting and a brutal siege. Still, this rebellion and the others of the same period led to the unification of Italy under the House of Savoy just 12 years later.

1848-V5LObv.jpg1848-V5LRev.jpg

Great coin IGWT and some great history to boot ! (thumbs u

It looks like you have it in one of the new slabs .. what grade did it get .. i would guess at MS-62-63 ?

And what do you think of the new slab now you are looking at a coin where it covers rim a bit

Funny that you ask . . . this picture tells you what I think.

1848-VRepubblicaVeneta950x500.jpg

My latest acquisition:

2009 PCGS MS69 Silver Britannia

brit-2009ms-775.jpg

The spot on the neck is on the slab. The little spots in the obverse field are there, but the photo accentuates them, they're not as noticeable in-hand. The reverse design is a repeat of the original 1997 Nathan design, also repeated in 1999, which I think is one of the better designs. I wish they'd come up with something new for this year, though. Photo is taken using a slightly modified axial lighting setup, which I've discussed in other posts. This catches me up on the series for this year, although I'm still on the lookout for the 2007, the last issue I need for a complete MS69 set. This'll be going into my registry set when the slot opens up Monday.

My latest acquisition:

2009 PCGS MS69 Silver Britannia

brit-2009ms-775.jpg

Well, I could do that too, but I don't have any nice pictures of it .... yet...

What an amazing little "time capsule" your coin is!!! It 's just so neat thinking about what was going on in the world when this coin was "born",

Regarding the pongs, I think I have to agree that they are not my favorite aspect of the entire presentation, In fact, I think they kind of detract. In any event, you have a really neat piece of history protected for future generations to enjoy.

Nice coin!!! RI AL

Nice pick ups you lot

just been to the Harrogate coin fair .. and this is my little lot

h.jpg

I could not believe that i managed to pick these up from 3 different dealers.. and such uncommon items to boot !!!

as you know I am mad keen on my Duke of northumberland stuff and the first i found was this Medal/medallion for HUGO PERCY for 1842 and Cambridge University .. I do not know how common it is but the work is amazing and worth every penny to me ..

Sorry about the picture quality but it will not scan

100_0756.jpg

Northumberlandduke.jpg

The next find was a Hareshaw common Perambulation token and hopefully this one will NGC grade as my last one came back Environmental damage) .. and at £35 i think it was cheep as chips (only the 4th one i have ever seen!)

northumberlandpreamb.jpg

Northumberlandpreambl.jpg

And i could not believe it when t stalls along this little stunner turned up !! only the Espe range duke token in much better condition than my NGC graded AU-55 the price was a bit steep but i did knock them down from £75 to £65 for it and I think it has a shot a MS-60's :grin:

Northumberlandboundyt.jpg

Northumberlandboundry.jpg

Well there you go hope you liked the tail..all the best and happy hunting

Nice medal and tokens Dooly! :applause:

I've bought from Simon Monks before, he's a well known Conder token dealer.

I went to the Northwest Coin Club show today, a very well attended show with quite a few dealers set up. Allan Davisson is a member of the club and this is the only show he sets up at anymore. He had a nice collection of Conder tokens that he had just purchased. Most were Spence tokens ex. Cokayne, all UNC, most were Red or R/B. I could only afford to buy one of them - a Middlesex Spence D&H 691, a quite rare edge variety of this Spence token.

The picture does not begin to show the lustre.

MiddlesexSpenceDH691.jpg

Farthing-Neat piece!

Cokayne collection tokens have popped up in several dealer inventories (the Spink "Important" sale of Jan. 2007 reportedly was Cokayne material as well.) I don't know how much more is out there, but I'd love to see another auction with the pound at $1.44!

I have yet to be successful in a Davisson auction but I'd like to meet the man (perhaps at the British/American token congress in Seattle?) who plays the coin game at this (The Coenwulf Coin) level.

I recently bought a piece from Allan as well. Just one, but it is sooo nice.... will try to get a picture up later this week. Be careful at the convention guys!!! Cokayne is extremely pleasurable and highly addictive. :signfunny:

I just picked up this Canadian large cent which I think looks pretty nice.

I dug the woodgrain and it's in nice shape, probably AU, but I haven't opened the 2x2.

canada1918cent-775.jpg

(Blackhawk's pictures from PCGS forum)