• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,319 posts in this topic

Just picked this 1700 Germany (Stolberg) Mining Taler at the recently completed CICF show:

dav7791.jpg

The view of the miners inside the mine was what sold me on the coin. Just a wonderful and unusual design.

I too like that Mining Taler, being that my original degree was Geology. Very nice Sydney Sovereign too RareSov and those Cathedral Medals are nice, nice. Always love seeing those.

Keep the postings coming folks.

Rey

From my late Grandfather's collection of coins I inherited back in January. The 1983 Maple Leaf was in a screw down holder with first year of .9999 printed on the outside. So I sent the coin in and came back MS 64.

IMG_0537.jpg

:hi:

Sell me that Mining Taler. It's the right thing to do. Take my money and buy something nice for your wife.

EVP

Who are you? Your user name isn't familiar. Are you some comic book fanboy that got lost over in the wrong forum?

I'm still researching this 113mm medal of young Victoria in bois durci to determine the engraver (W. Wyon?) and manufacturer.

3cbecdec.jpg

Yarm,

Is this a uniface medal? I'm wondering if it isn't a trial piece for one of the other medals or some of the coinage.

William Wyon (British), 1795-1851, was born in Birmingham and was the eldest son of Peter Wyon. As you can see from the genealogical chart, he came from a large family of designers, engravers and medallists.

His credits for coinage and medals is quite extensive and covers 35 pages in Forrer's Biographical Dictionary of Medallists. The only listings for medals of Queen Victoria date to 1837 and are:

"Accession of Queen Victoria"

"Queen Victoria: Medallions, Models and Trial pieces for the coinage"

"Queen Victoria at the Mayoralty Banquet at the Guildhall, London"

"Guildhall, London Medal (Queen's Visit to the City)"

Chris

99924.jpg.6b118fcc5bbda1a1e6e8e3abc214cfbd.jpg

So far I've discovered the Mernick brothers' site which has quite a few "portrait plaques" in bois durci, including the young Victoria. The reverse of my medal is blank except for a stamped BOIS DURCI and it has a suspension loop.

Portrait plaques M to Z

Since bois durci wasn't patented until 1855, I can only assume that your medallion is a restrike, probably from one of Wyon's 1837 dies.

Chris

Charles I

315fpc4.jpg

The Oxford mint was only set up for a handful of years during the Civil War, when Charles I made Oxford his headquarters, as London and the Mint there were held by Parliament.

Coincraft 1998 says:

"These issues are easily identifiable by the reverse design which has the Deceleration with the date below and plumes above.

All these issues are very rare, but specimens for collectors do exist outside museums. The issues are extremely crude in style and often have weakness in the legends due to the poor strike. Specimens exist from VG to VF condition."

The deceleration on the reverse:

RELIG : PROT : LEG : ANG : LIBER : PAR

“To uphold the Protestant Religion, the Laws of England and the

Liberty of Parliament”

1644 Oxford mint, Charles I Unite. Spink 2735, same dies as Schneider 325, Brooker 853.

1pchhe.jpg

I'm not the best photographer around and found this coin hard to image properly. It has lots of lustre and die polishing lines (which are raised and run below the devices) on both the reverse and obverse which can be seen next to the plumes on the reverse.

A good little write up on Unites:

http://www.24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=unitehistoryof.html

Recently got a nice 1867 Sov but did not mention it.. sorry, no pic !

But here are my new pickups.. well they should be. I bid the amount they sold for (or more), as soon as the auction opened. So I'm sure I won :D

The first is struck from a clashed reverse die

6660a.jpg6660b.jpg

6413a.jpg6413b.jpg