• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: World
7 7

2,325 posts in this topic

3 more of my farthing purchases at the Congress.

Middlesex Spence D&H 1095a Ex. Cokayne, a nice RB token.

MiddlesexSpenceDH1095a.jpg

Angusshire Dundee D&H 39bis. Another ex. Cokayne collection, nice chocolate brown.

AngusshireDundeeDH39bis.jpg

Angusshire Dundee D&H 41. Again, ex. Cokayne and a nice chocolate brown with a die crack running through the reverse.

AngusshireDundeeDH41.jpg

That is a very nice grouping of farthings (and some good photography too!)

I also like the "man on all fours" which is available on only a few Middlesex farthings.

Just a guess JohnReichFan but the HS is likely the mintmasters initials. Including the mintmasters initials on coins was not unusual in the past.

Here's my win from this weeks Baldwin's auction. Catalogued as Middlesex Political and Social Series #226 and is an election token for the MP seat from Winchester between Admiral Gardner, Charles Fox and Horne Tooke. Charles Fox won and both Fox and Admiral Gardner were elected from Winchester.

MiddlesexPoliticalAndSocialDH226.jpg

Here's an early George III medal by Pingo (BHM 6) that appeared in the "Foreign Commemorative Medal" (?)

section of Baldwin's Summer Argentum sale.

image00548.jpg

I got this one in the mail today from Poland, thanks to Jackson64 and his ship registry I got turned on to this one!

81114.jpg.80565e2a40110c802c295cb31f698362.jpg

81115.jpg.d37e3a49820f644f3982d62d2f31b371.jpg

yarm - great piece! (worship)

I thought you said you weren't going to buy any pieces out of the Baldwins auction? I've seen the pictures you have been adding to your photobucket account and I'm jealous! ;)

Farthing, I had a few Baldwins pieces in mind (mostly pennies) but after viewing quite a few lots in Seattle, wound up bidding on less than a dozen. I passed on the Northumberland 3 in Baldwin's because of the weak strike (and strong bidding) only to have the one pictured pop up on Ebay a few days later.

Here is another music coin that arrived yesterday. It is a fantasy issue from "Catalonia" (listed under Spain in "Unusual World Coins". Rummaging through the book, I found a few pages of coins from "Middle Earth". Now THAT would be a fun set to collect. I wonder if they were minted in Hell? RI AL

new002-1-1.jpg

new001-1.jpg

19th century British commercial tokens generally don't have the artiistic appeal of Conder tokens

but they seem tough to come by in choice condition.

MergedWithers851.jpg

My latest - arrived today enclosed in a NGC 58 BN suit. The token has more red around the devices and lettering than my 2.5 megapixel camera can ever show. :blush:

Middlesex Hall's advertising penny - D&H #26 It features Sir Jeffery Dunstan, mayor of Garrat - a knock-kneed dwarf and an interesting character to read about on the web. Thomas Hall was a taxidermist and curiosity dealer who operated his shop at 10 City Road near Finsbury Square. As stated on the reverse: The first artist in europe for preserving birds beasts &c.

MiddlesexHallsDH26.jpg

Nice grouping of Conders, HiHo! I was intrigued by the Lincolnshire Spalding 5

because of the ghostlike appearance of the small ship in the center. It seemed odd

given that the AU58 piece presumably has only a touch of wear. I dragged out my

Linc 6 which used the same die (according to D&H) and laid them side by side.

Take a peek at the ships, particularly the small ship in the center. Anyone know

if this is something to do with the state of the die or might the strike be affecting the look as well?

Linc5and6.jpg