• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about an early half-dollar thread?? POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

1,427 posts in this topic

this just came in the post today, any information it will be helpful

1729469-1832.jpg

1729469-1832r.jpg

is the 8 funny or is it just me?

hi.gif

1729469-1832r.jpg.e6f0a822728b36b6dc1205198e3ea166.jpg

Dooley,

Nice Capped Bust Half.

I know of two varieties of this coin one with normal letters and one with large letters, however I don't believe either is more valuable than the other. The die making process on Capped Bust coins often used punches to place letters, numbers etc. into the die rather than the hub. As a result you can find differences in the position/look of letters, numbers, etc. Sometimes individual letter or number punches were used.

Rey

Thanks for the reply

i have had a look on the censes on NGC which says they have graded

2 types with normal letters

2 types for large letters

and

28 for small letters

think i will keep a lookout for some small letter ones 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Dooley,

Nice Capped Bust Half.

I know of two varieties of this coin one with normal letters and one with large letters, however I don't believe either is more valuable than the other. The die making process on Capped Bust coins often used punches to place letters, numbers etc. into the die rather than the hub. As a result you can find differences in the position/look of letters, numbers, etc. Sometimes individual letter or number punches were used.

Rey

Rey,

Not a case of sometimes individual letter or number punches being used. Individual punches were ALL the time. Each individual die is unique unto itself.

Thanks for the reply

i have had a look on the censes on NGC which says they have graded

2 types with normal letters

2 types for large letters

and

28 for small letters

think i will keep a lookout for some small letter ones 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, you have a small letter one.

Jim

I have looked at the guide now and i see the diffrences now 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you think it wil grade or is it to far gone! confused.gif

thanks dooly

I don't see any real reason why it shouldn't slab. At the VG to F level of your coin I don't think the rim knock at 7 o'clock on the reverse should matter. Has it been cleaned and retoned? Yes, but no worse than many in slabs.

Note carefully that this is the opinion of someone who has never (and never will) submitted a coin to a TPG. I am basing it purely on what I have seen in slabs in the past.

Now, since it is my contention that every page of this thread should have at least one 1827...

102o.jpg102r.jpg

I like that contention.

Now, since it is my contention that every page of this thread should have at least one 1827...

102o.jpg102r.jpg

Holy canoli, that is a nice '27!

I like that contention.

Holy canoli, that is a nice '27!

Thanks for the comments, guys. But I have been informed that since this is a '27/6 it doesn't fullfill the page requirements for an 1827. I don't necessasarily agree, but just in case I am wrong (hey, it could happen!)

105o.jpg105r.jpg

1877 CC Half - Not as much history as most of those above.

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Still plenty of history behind that one, Rey.

This one is a year older. (same little letters on the reverse)

1876CChalfo.jpg1876CChalfr.jpg

I wish I had a Flowing Hair or Draped Bust or two though. Those are the ones that intrigue me the most.

Rey

Draped bust large cents can be had for less money than one would expect. thumbsup2.gif

I wish I had a Flowing Hair or Draped Bust or two though. Those are the ones that intrigue me the most.

Rey

Rey, with some searching you could find a VF to XF '06 or '07 draped bust for about what that 77 CC probably cost you. For maybe twice that you could probably get a G to VG 1795 FH half.

Jim

Jim, Thanks for the info. I have never really searched but have recently become interested, I shall add this to my list.

Thanks,

Rey