• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about an early half-dollar thread?? POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

1,427 posts in this topic

1813 O-106

100_0627.jpg

100_0628.jpg

A little on the lighter side, but I believe this one to be original, as the skin is well developed and thick, even though it is more of a platinum gray in color than green, blue or black. Gold undertones are also present.

Thanks.

I just went through this whole thread and had to add. Have not done so in quite a while. So many great coins!

Hi Everyone hi.gif

I really enjoy this thread always a plethora of early US Half Dollars! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here is a variety Capped Bust Half of 1810, O-107a, R3.

AAJ

1810cbho.jpg

1810cbhr.jpg

Here is an 1838 CBH that NGC assigned a grade of AU 58. Hoping that these pictures are good enough I would like for any comments and/or thoughts on why you think this may have graded AU 58 and not MS.

Thanks,

Rey

1838CBHObvAU58.jpg

1838CBHRevAU58.jpg

Hard to say right off hand Rey, the reverse has some brilliant luster and sharp detail, so perhaps the problematic AU lesser grade has something to do with the obverse.

How does that mark on her neck strike you, obvious or suttle? How about the luster of the obv...broken, intack

Also the obverse strike looks a little weaker...but that alone should not have brought it down to AU.

Also, I take it that this is a lettered edge example and not a reeded edge, right?

edit: belay that last question, I was thing 1836 not 1838...sorry.

Obviously, it can be impossible to grade accurately from an image. However, my interpretation of the image makes me believe that there are many field marks that look consistent with light circulation and that the cheek of Ms. Liberty appears to be somewhat worn, as witnessed by its slightly lighter color, and this would make the coin an AU.

Thank you for the input. There are quite a few field marks but I think the images make it look more so. The field is (not sure of the proper term) grainy so to speak, rough and not smooth to begin with, up close what appears to be a lot of marks is not. However there are a few that are prominent, not deep but obvious. However there is not really any evidence of wear that I can really see on the hair, cheek, neckline, etc. It does have a good fairly intact lustre. It must be the presence and number of marks in the fields.

Thanks again,

Rey

I replaced this 1823

box_of_20_1823_bust.jpg

With this 1829 in my toned typeset. I "never" keep duplicates but I am having trouble parting with it confused.gif it's just too pretty. laugh.gif

box_of_20_1829_bust_half.jpg

I've shown this one recently but here is the current Reeded edge "hole filler"

1837_reeded_edge.jpg

This coin is a little weak in the luster department but it is very clean and overall quite nice for a 63 graded coin.

Here is an 1838 CBH that NGC assigned a grade of AU 58. Hoping that these pictures are good enough I would like for any comments and/or thoughts on why you think this may have graded AU 58 and not MS.

Thanks,

Rey

1838CBHObvAU58.jpg

1838CBHRevAU58.jpg

Firstly, this is a beautiful coin, and I imagine, quite lustrous.

My personal feeling about why it graded 58 are the multitude of hairlines indicative of a wiping which was not uncommon in the past. Also, there is strking weakness, and we have to remember, these coins were struck using a steam press.

This is just my opinion from the photo, without actually seeing the coin under a light, and a beautiful coin nonetheless.

Some people, Reich adherents (as I am, I guess), criticize the Gobrecht design. My own feelings are that Gobrecht was way ahead of his time re design, and this bust has egyptianesque features so preponderant in early 20th century art-deco, and his sense of line is so profound. I love it.

LEEG, what a beautiful Bustie!

Boiler, that 1837 may have softer luster due to the toning, but finding an undipped beauty like that more than compensates for it. They go hand in hand. Lovely, lovely coin.

Hey OKbustchaser, I say this as I am hiding, I picked up a couple of 27's. Here is one...care to take a crack at the variety buddy?

Hint included.....

1827O-109obv.jpg

1827O-109re1.jpg

1827O-109strps.jpg