• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,212 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 5:21 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

What the heck is that thing?! If you go ancient, aren't you supposed to obnoxiously list it's genus and species? I can't read Australian, so i have no idea the who, or the what. Oh well. Looks lovely, i guess? Ancients ain't my thing, lol

That my friend is a Elagabalus AD 218-222 Denarius.

A Roman emperor with a sorted past, who took the throne at age 14 and died at 18. The Ancient crew can correct me if I'm wrong:) 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, ShinyObjects said:

That my friend is a Elagabalus AD 218-222 Denarius.

A Roman emperor with a sorted past, who took the throne at age 14 and died at 18. The Ancient crew can correct me if I'm wrong:) 

Thank you! Lol

I only hope Dominion Grading aren’t the same guys who make Dominion voting machines. Actually, I kid. Their voting machines are just fine. I used to do election machines as a career. I chaired the Pennsylvania advisory board that examined all voting systems. The problem with Dominion is a “tin ear” for security concerns. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/11/2022 at 3:38 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

Was that a "sample"? "Compliments of"? It's certification number is a very desirable :wink:.

Umm, it is a sample slab, and it’s not a real certification number. Likely every one of them had the same number. 

On 8/11/2022 at 6:34 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Same number? How's that possible if it's real? 

Promotional sample slabs. Happens all the time. Regardless, the company doesn’t even exist anymore. Just another fly-by-night operator. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Promotional sample slabs. Happens all the time. Regardless, the company doesn’t even exist anymore. Just another fly-by-night operator. 

But it's numbered with a very cool number. One of those repeaters. That's not fair. 

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 8/11/2022 at 7:58 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

But it's numbered with a very cool number. One of those repeaters. That's not fair. 

It’s the epitome of fair. Everybody who has that sample slab has the fancy number. I did more research on that service. It bought the equipment and supplies of PCI, and for part of its history, it was owned by David Lawrence of DLRC. It had a not bad reputation but didn’t last all that long. I guess the inherent conflict of interest of a major dealer owning a TPGS just got too overwhelming. Either that, or they ran out of PCI’s old slabs and didn’t want to buy more. So now the top two firms are owned by private equity firms. Pick your poison, right?

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/11/2022 at 9:25 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s the epitome of fair. Everybody who has that sample slab has the fancy number. I did more research on that service. It bought the equipment and supplies of PCI, and for part of its history, it was owned by David Lawrence of DLRC. It had a not bad reputation but didn’t last all that long. I guess the inherent conflict of interest of a major dealer owning a TPGS just got too overwhelming. Either that, or they ran out of PCI’s old slabs and didn’t want to buy more. So now the top two firms are owned by private equity firms. Pick your poison, right?

And they send out everyday clad coins in a cooly numbered holders that look like slabs. Diabolical. 

On 8/11/2022 at 9:44 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

And they send out everyday clad coins in a cooly numbered holders that look like slabs. Diabolical. 

As you learn more in this hobby, you’ll find things like this are commonplace. I actually do have real slabs numbered 2828282. [doo dah, doo dah]

Edited by VKurtB