• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,211 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Smooshed D or S? 

20220620_103734.thumb.jpg.c19e745958348fe781f611345a736b39.jpg20220620_103726.thumb.jpg.385ae5b871c175271d084db52c0d85bf.jpg

or P? Maybe a Q?

"Maybe a Q?" I heard that!   🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing; make the response more responsive.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:59 PM, Lem E said:

That is quite the blob you have there. I’ll say it used to be an S. (shrug)

That seems to be the general consensus, from a few other well respected numismatists i speak with, offline. Fills a hole in my "circulation" finds Whitman. Thanks for stopping by. 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:08 PM, VKurtB said:

[Change] from a Coinstar? Nope. 

If someone offered you a coin, without mentioning where he found it..  Surely, you jest!  Detectable wear is the lowest common denominator. Both circulated and uncirculated coins--even proof coins may be regurgitated by Coinstar machines.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

If someone offered you a coin, without mentioning where he found it..  Surely, you jest!  Detectable wear is the lowest common denominator. Both circulated and uncirculated coins--even proof coins may be regurgitated by Coinstar machines.

If someone hands me a coin based on numismatic interest, that’s not “from circulation” to me, regardless of how he got it. “From circulation” means ONE AND ONLY ONE THING - I got it in change from everyday commerce. I have a Dansco cent album for ONLY those cents. It’s easier now in Alabama cuz we see both Philly and Denver cents. I get mostly D nickels and dimes, and mostly P quarters.  

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/24/2022 at 1:02 PM, rrantique said:

101_0026-1.jpg

[Funny how your coin looks infinitely better and yet we're both the same age.]

On 6/24/2022 at 10:48 PM, VKurtB said:

If someone hands me a coin based on numismatic interest, that’s not “from circulation” to me, regardless of how he got it. “From circulation” means ONE AND ONLY ONE THING - I got it in change from everyday commerce. I have a Dansco cent album for ONLY those cents. It’s easier now in Alabama cuz we see both Philly and Denver cents. I get mostly D nickels and dimes, and mostly P quarters.  

In my heart (to borrow from an old campaign slogan) I know you're right, but the gods of numismysticism have been arrayed against me. Maybe that's why they invented the term "business strike".  🤔 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
No particular reason.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:21 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

After a two day soak, and light rub with a wet noodle.

20220625_191006.thumb.jpg.51e754d99880281376b2d771f71e5f38.jpg20220625_190957.thumb.jpg.e0158e6dafa0cbd4b0f26984b6785fe9.jpg

not much difference, i know, but i believe it's definitely a, or an...

The mint-mark is an "s" In your initial display, Washington then sported one black eye. Now he has two! I am flummoxed.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:45 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

In your initial display, Washington then sported one black eye. Now he has two! I am flummoxed.

Strange. I see that as well, now that you've pointed it out. Thanks a bunch. I'll try to get in there with a wire brush when we're reunited later, after work.

Unless you're calling "coin fraud". Is that what this is? A "coin fraud" "witch hunt" straight out of the "middle-ages"? Huh?! I shoulda seen this one coming! lollollol

Please, please, please RESIST the urge to use a "wire" brush!  The tool or liquid you use should be of the least intrusive and non-abrasive kind.  And any damage you may do, inadvertently or not, cannot be undone regardless the age and condition of the coin. Without knowing its precise cause, I would put down that Q-tip and wait to hear from our resident experts to chime in.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Please, please, please RESIST the urge to use a "wire" brush!  The tool or liquid you use should be of the least intrusive and non-abrasive kind.  And any damage you may do, inadvertently or not, cannot be undone regardless the age and condition of the coin. Without knowing its precise cause, I would put down that Q-tip and wait to hear from our resident experts to chime in.

I shall put away my dremel, and resist the urge to it put to the wheel. 

Maybe some resident nickel experts can chime in on this one, as well. Is this an alloy mix issue? And it looks like there a crack above that dome on the white house. That's worth a buck, or two. 

20220629_141338.thumb.jpg.a3b4dd921a0ff0e80a28a21b18046bf4.jpg20220629_141331.thumb.jpg.671b7f67ad49309dbbf035c26cd06086.jpg

thank you. Pretty decent shape for 106 years old, or something like that. I ain't no mathematical guy. Anyway. Silver.

On 6/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I shall put away my dremel, and resist the urge to it put to the wheel. 

Maybe some resident nickel experts can chime in on this one, as well. Is this an alloy mix issue? And it looks like there a crack above that dome on the white house. That's worth a buck, or two. 

20220629_141338.thumb.jpg.a3b4dd921a0ff0e80a28a21b18046bf4.jpg20220629_141331.thumb.jpg.671b7f67ad49309dbbf035c26cd06086.jpg

thank you. Pretty decent shape for 106 years old, or something like that. I ain't no mathematical guy. Anyway. Silver.

...its a lightning strike on one of ben franklins rods he loaned to thomas...by the way its monticello not the white house, we can only hope that lightning would hit it....

On 6/29/2022 at 5:43 PM, zadok said:

...its a lightning strike on one of ben franklins rods he loaned to thomas...by the way its monticello not the white house, we can only hope that lightning would hit it....

Isn't Monticello just French for "The White House"? And i knew it looked like lightening! I can't believe they caught that pic, and were able to transpose it to the coin's surface. I luv modern technology. And I'll avoid politics, thank you very much! 

On 6/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Isn't Monticello just French for "The White House"? And i knew it looked like lightening! I can't believe they caught that pic, and were able to transpose it to the coin's surface. I luv modern technology. And I'll avoid politics, thank you very much! 

...no means little mountain....good luck with that avoiding...

On 6/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, zadok said:

...no means little mountain....good luck with that avoiding...

On 6/29/2022 at 7:11 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I like Casa Blanca.  Has a nice ring to it.

And i, le grand tetons.

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 6/29/2022 at 7:11 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I like Casa Blanca.  Has a nice ring to it.

...if u like Morocco...the movie considered a classic but have be careful using that word here goldfinger thinks it means saints....

The way I see it, grading aside, EVERY silver coin is a winner!  Your average teenager, preoccupied with other things, either overlooks silver or is oblivious to it. I believe the "change shortage" inadvertently loosed a hoard of all manner of coins on the public, including silver.