• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,211 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2022 at 1:37 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Precision isn't exactly my speciality. I'm more of a blunt instrument kind of guy. The troglodyte runs deep. But i will say, i do not coin roll hunt. Nothing in it for me. 

Found this today. Does this count? 

20220527_092306.thumb.jpg.5b646156961b61b5a2ae995aa5a23208.jpg20220527_092300.thumb.jpg.7aa8ebb917db54baa2a524831987e740.jpg

is that some sort of thing by that floating P over the white house? Looks split. Any nickel people in the house with an award winning collection? (@Lem E). Anyway, i know, another nothingburger, but I'll take silver all day long. 

*edit

@Lem E

*edit edit

@VKurtB i respectfully disagree with your strict definition of "circulation". What if it's found on the ground? What if i grab it from a coinstar? Change from a vending machine? Still very much in "circulation". Lighten up, my friend :wink: :bigsmile:!

THIS is the date and mint mark that should be checked for an over date, but this one isn’t. 

Found on the ground? Yup, in circulation. 

From a Coinstar? Nope. 

Change FROM a vending machine? Yup. 

Change you collect from a vending machine? Nope.

If you actively collect it up, no. 

If it randomly comes to YOU, yes.

The guy that runs the coinsblog.ws web blog went over two years without doing a cash transaction because he’s a COVID phobic. He can’t do circulation finds.  

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/27/2022 at 3:08 PM, VKurtB said:

Found on the ground? Yup, in circulation. 

From a Coinstar? Nope. 

Change FROM a vending machine? Yup. 

Change you collect from a vending machine? Nope.

If you actively collect it up, no. 

If it randomly comes to YOU, yes.

The guy that runs the coinsblog.ws web blog went over two years without doing a cash transaction because he’s a COVID phobic. He can’t do circulation finds.  

Well covid don't scare me! 

By the way, all the above, 100% circulation finds, 100%. If i dip my finger into a payphone coin return slot, and there's a 1936P quarter in there, that little gem has 100% been found in circulation. To refute that is you just being silly. And you don't strike me as one who wants to be perceived as "silly". What you're saying is "change". I'm saying "circulation". ANY coin still out there is technically circulation. And you strike me as a very technical person. So technically, a 2022D Sally Ride released yesterday into circulation is the same as the 1936P that's floating around there in change somewhere. Both technically in circulation because they're both out there, no? So to clarify, there's a MAJOR difference between your definition of circulation (change) and my definition of circulation, which is actually the definition of circulation. Whew. 

Happy trails, to you... until we meet again......

@VKurtB I'm not trolling you. You can ask around, I'm just being me. I don't take much of this seriously, which i apologize for, but I need your advice. Four nothingburgers, but I'm filling my whitman with my best circulation finds. Which do you go with? The shiny clean looking ones, or the circam looking ones? 

20220527_153559.thumb.jpg.f2f8f066246a8c162875a2b6e0788083.jpg

Blurry pic, but I'm thinking upper left or lower right. My guess is you'd just chuck the whole lot, but if you were forced to, which dud would you put in the album. Gun to your head. 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:41 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

@VKurtB I'm not trolling you. You can ask around, I'm just being me. I don't take much of this seriously, which i apologize for, but I need your advice. Four nothingburgers, but I'm filling my whitman with my best circulation finds. Which do you go with? The shiny clean looking ones, or the circam looking ones? 

Blurry pic, but I'm thinking upper left or lower right. My guess is you'd just chuck the whole lot, but if you were forced to, which dud would you put in the album. Gun to your head. 

I would go with bottom left if it was me. 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:56 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I would go with bottom left if it was me. 

Your reputation precedes you. I've been told by a member here whom i have the utmost respect for, that you're a man to be taken seriously. That you know what you're talking about. So, I'm going to take a closer look, under the loupe. Thank you for the recommendation, and for checking in. 

On 5/27/2022 at 4:02 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Your reputation precedes you. I've been told by a member here whom i have the utmost respect for, that you're a man to be taken seriously. That you know what you're talking about. So, I'm going to take a closer look, under the loupe. Thank you for the recommendation, and for checking in. 

Thats just by looking at the picture. Coins in hand I may have a different choice. Top right looks pretty good to. They both have more detail in the hair of Roosevelt. The others look a little more worn by the picture. 

On 5/27/2022 at 4:07 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats just by looking at the picture. Coins in hand I may have a different choice. Top right looks pretty good to. They both have more detail in the hair of Roosevelt. The others look a little more worn by the picture. 

It's funny you mention the hair because when you said that coin, that's exactly what i looked at. The hair is very pronounced compared to the other 3. Great eye. I'm learning, slowly! Thank you

On 5/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I don’t put ANYTHING in my current series Dansco albums that isn’t fully Mint State. That means Kennedy halves, any flavor of Washington Quarter, Roosevelt Dime, Jefferson. Nickel and Lincoln Cent. I also don’t put in any non-MS Mercury Dime or Franklin Half.

The Franklin and Kennedy halves are complete in MS, as are the Roosevelt Dimes and Jefferson Nickels. A tiny handful of cents and quarters remain, all of which are very expensive. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I'd luv to know this coins provenance, but i also like a good slice of provolone. Which will happen first...

Provolone, unless someone reading this makes a wholly unanticipated guest appearance, a la "E.C," and says: "I am the former owner of that coin, I inherented it from my late father and..."  You get the idea. Even the eyes of non-collectors are drawn to that exaggerated mint mark. I know mine were. It's 35% silver content is an added bonus. I know it's easily worth 20x face.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:25 PM, VKurtB said:

I don’t put ANYTHING in my current series Dansco albums that isn’t fully Mint State. That means Kennedy halves, any flavor of Washington Quarter, Roosevelt Dime, Jefferson. Nickel and Lincoln Cent. I also don’t put in any non-MS Mercury Dime or Franklin Half. 

Gun to your head. You're not picking any? 

On 5/27/2022 at 5:26 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Provolone, unless someone reading this makes a wholly unanticipated guest appearance, a la "E.C," and says: "I am the former owner of that coin, I inherented it from my late father and..."  You get the idea. Even the eyes of non-collectors are drawn to that exaggerated mint mark. I know mine were. It's 35% silver content is an added bonus. I know it's easily worth 20x face.

I too luv when my provolone is 35% silver. 

On 5/27/2022 at 4:30 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Gun to your head. You're not picking any? 

What do you mean “picking”?

On 5/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Choosing. My bad. Like I've said several times, me not too bright. 

I don’t know what you mean by choosing either. What I can tell you is that EVERY CURRENT YEAR COIN that eventually ends up in my Dansco albums will have been cut from an uncirculated set or proof set or bought from a dealer (2022 S quarters). None will have come from circulation. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/27/2022 at 5:36 PM, VKurtB said:

I don’t know what you mean by choosing either. What I can tell you is that EVERY CURRENT YEAR COIN that eventually ends up in my Dansco albums will have been cut from an uncirculated set or proof set or bought from a dealer (2022 S quarters). None will have come from circulation. 

I'm not asking for yours, silly, I'm asking for mine. Which would you choose, for my album? Think of me as a ten year old child, just starting out on his first whitman. You're a kindly wise gentleman, who wants to give the best advice he can to this first time collector. Which dime (from the 4 before) do you think goes best in my album? 1946P

20220527_174809.thumb.jpg.f8f64a51cbbd03e184988d30d5c15b4d.jpg

See? I've got a little down time, and i was going to plug with "circulation" coins. I'll have all the P and D. Almost none of the S. Thanks, my friend. @Hoghead515 had a nice suggestion earlier. 

On 5/27/2022 at 4:52 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I'm not asking for yours, silly, I'm asking for mine. Which would you choose, for my album? Think of me as a ten year old child, just starting out on his first whitman. You're a kindly wise gentleman, who wants to give the best advice he can to this first time collector. Which dime (from the 4 before) do you think goes best in my album? 1946P

20220527_174809.thumb.jpg.f8f64a51cbbd03e184988d30d5c15b4d.jpg

See? I've got a little down time, and i was going to plug with "circulation" coins. I'll have all the P and D. Almost none of the S. Thanks, my friend. @Hoghead515 had a nice suggestion earlier. 

If I had to pick one, I’d go with the lower left. It has the best detail among those not stained. The most detailed in FDR’s hair. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/27/2022 at 6:11 PM, VKurtB said:

If I had to pick one, I’d go with the lower left. It has the best detail among those not stained. The most detailed in FDR’s hair. 

Vote number two, for that young fella. Thank you for taking the time to look, and answer. 

On 5/27/2022 at 6:30 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Vote number two, for that young fella. Thank you for taking the time to look, and answer. 

BTW, I’d suggest a good two-sided view album rather than the simple blue folder. The better blue Whitman is okay, as is the brown Dansco. But if I were starting fresh now, I might go for the green Littletons.