• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,211 posts in this topic

@Mohawk:

I believe your finds stem from the government's "suggestion" to the public that they turn in any change they may have accumulated over the years in cans, water bottles, and the like, to ease the coin shortage, whether real or imagined.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:58 AM, Coinbuf said:

Seems like a perfect coin for @Revenant

Maybe he already has one. (shrug) We were chatting about the new Zim gold "coin" being released the other week, across the aisle, so I dug this out of storage and posted a pic of it. I don't think he was impressed. lol

Though I might as well post it over here as well, just haven't had a free moment to do so until today. 

On 7/27/2022 at 11:13 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

Found these today. I have this theory about coins i find the same day, of the same year, from the same mint. Alas, these aren't the same mint. New theory. These were minted at the exact same time, across the country from each other. Lost relatives, to say the least. Well, I've reunited them. You're welcome.  

Well, it's a theory anyway.  lol

On 7/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

Well, it's a theory anyway.  lol

You should hear my other theory, about when they're from the same mint. It's basically identical, accept they're from the same mint. Reunited like, 97 years later, or something like that. I don't know, i wasn't really listening. 

On 7/29/2022 at 10:32 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

Guess the mint. Parking lot silver. 

20220729_100756.thumb.jpg.3d7617024698eb62396364c418295b9c.jpg20220729_100747.thumb.jpg.44749e6089c22e928a7eb31652d0ccf7.jpg

I seriously doubt this would be authenticated and certified judging by the condition it's in. Oddly, if it were four years younger, or only a year older, it would but whether it made economical sense would be the only question left to contend with. According to P---, low-balled sets are notoriously difficult to assemble.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:12 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I've heard of such sets. Very worn coins, but this is more chopped and gouged. But the patina is quite lovely. 

...correctamundo...lo-ball sets r based on actual certified wear to the coin i.e. po-1, fr-2 etc...higher grade damaged coins as this one would not qualify as lo-ball coins....

On 7/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, zadok said:

...correctamundo...lo-ball sets r based on actual certified wear to the coin i.e. po-1, fr-2 etc...higher grade damaged coins as this one would not qualify as lo-ball coins....

Absolutely correct. As a matter of fact, had that coin suffered soft and even wear, date still discernable but mint mark expertly polished away, I suspect it would suffer the same fate. Plenty of Jefferson nickels were struck at Philadelphia without mintmarks.  But my feeling is on so-called wartime nickels that mintmark is an integral part of the date and without it--I am guessing here--it would not be authenticated and certified. Then again, the 1922-no D Lincoln cent is recognized, but for good reason: none were authorized for minting in Philadelphia.  (worship)

On 7/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Absolutely correct. As a matter of fact, had that coin suffered soft and even wear, date still discernable but mint mark expertly polished away, I suspect it would suffer the same fate. Plenty of Jefferson nickels were struck at Philadelphia without mintmarks.  But my feeling is on so-called wartime nickels that mintmark is an integral part of the date and without it--I am guessing here--it would not be authenticated and certified. Then again, the 1922-no D Lincoln cent is recognized, but for good reason: none were authorized for minting in Philadelphia.  (worship)

There's definitely a mint mark on it, just very light. 

On 7/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

There's definitely a mint mark on it, just very light. 

@Quintus Arrius, i forgot to mention, to those just starting out in the hobby, the reason for the very light mint mark is, they were running low on ink for the presses, and rather than have no mint mark, they settled on a very lightly printed one. Those executive decisions were made on the fly, all the time. It's very well documented in those things i read somewhere. 

On 7/31/2022 at 7:39 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

@Quintus Arrius, i forgot to mention, to those just starting out in the hobby, the reason for the very light mint mark is, they were running low on ink for the presses, and rather than have no mint mark, they settled on a very lightly printed one. Those executive decisions were made on the fly, all the time. It's very well documented in those things i read somewhere. 

I never would have guessed!