• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,202 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2022 at 4:00 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

@ShinyObjects is a personal friend of mine. We met over on CT. This man embodies what coin involvement should be. His collection is incredible, he's not a braggart, and he's constantly giving to the community, especially to the Young Numismats. Glad to see you two have made acquaintances, lol

To paraphrase member L'errorist, "I guess I just like shiny objects."  :roflmao:

@rrantique:

I can honestly say I love all your stuff. Every bit of it. Thanks for sharing it with the membership!  (thumbsu  (worship)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Typo

On 9/9/2022 at 10:04 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Gorgeous stuff, as usual. 

I recognize the writing on this. Some guy out west, maybe California. San Franisco, possibly. Oh wait, wait, Berkeley, right? He has a strong position against paper. I forget his name; I may even have the flip.

@ShinyObjects:

Galloping thread...

Let's see now, the CC dollar. GSA. Discovered in a vault in 1964, not released until 1972. An eight-year gap. Hmm.

The 1873 dollar. Exquisite, and my attention was drawn to that autograph on the obverse. I read somewhere that collectors like that personal touch. I do, too.

Mighty fine halves you've got there! And thanks for sharing them!

On 9/9/2022 at 10:10 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I recognize the writing on this. Some guy out west, maybe California. San Franisco, possibly. Oh wait, wait, Berkeley, right? He has a strong position against paper. I forget his name; I may even have the flip.

You're asking me? And I thought you only collected golden what's the other word for rooster, i forget...

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 9/9/2022 at 10:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@ShinyObjects:

Galloping thread...

Let's see now, the CC dollar. GSA. Discovered in a vault in 1964, not released until 1972. An eight-year gap. Hmm.

The 1873 dollar. Exquisite, and my attention was drawn to that autograph on the obverse. I read somewhere that collectors like that personal touch. I do, too.

Thank you Quintus Arrius. 

On 9/9/2022 at 10:17 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@ShinyObjects:

Galloping thread...

I've got a seated dime that's holed and has RUDOLPH counter stamped into it. I've heard it's rare. 

On 9/9/2022 at 10:23 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

You're asking me? And I thought you only collected golden what's the other word for rooster, i forget...

Oh, for Chris'sakes! Don't make me have to check my records and receipts! Berkeley, yes, or no?

I was afflicted with a case of Roosteritis during recovery in my home after hip re-replacement surgery, I believe three years back. Truth be told, the very first gold coin I acquired was a--hold on while I reach for it in a slotted slab box--here it is: a 1904 Venezuelan 20 Bolivar coin, I bought raw, for no other reason than because it features a horse glancing backward  within the crest on the reverse. Then I discovered roosters... and TPGS, and submitted everything for authentication and grading. [The Venezuelan coin, touted as Brilliant Unc., or some such, was returned as an AU58.] BR, i.e., "Before Roosters," I was a normal, civilized human being who collected coins from change (much like you do) proof sets, mint sets and odds and ends of interest. Against the edicts of the numismatic fraternity, I absconded from collecting after silver was removed from coins. No more Morgans from the bank. Nothing. I only resumed collecting after I spotted my first rooster. I collect whatever moves me. I just forwarded my sister one of those 5-oz. quarters. She was immediately smitten. Now I am retired. The Rooster run is over. That, in a nutshell, is the truth, the whole truth, etc.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:26 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I've got a seated dime that's holed and has RUDOLPH counter stamped into it. I've heard it's rare. 

I don't view it as desecration or a graffito. Other members may beg to differ. This, to me, is a calling card from the past rendered with a lovely flourish reminiscent of fine calligraphy. 

On 9/9/2022 at 10:48 PM, ShinyObjects said:

Here is what I call a "Special Mint Set"

Since this thread is titled "For the Love of Silver" please do not look at the Nickel, Copper or Steel. You may be tempted to zoom in and gaze upon their beauty, but please refrain from doing so. Thank you.

20220122_222425.jpg

20220122_222727.jpg

This is the first time I recall a member submitting his coins for the membership's approval and envy, accompanied by orders! Okay, I won't look, but I should like to make an intemperate observation: that Standing Liberty appears to be Walking.  :makepoint: doh! :facepalm: :roflmao:

On 9/9/2022 at 10:55 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

This is the first time I recall a member submitting his coins for the membership's approval and envy, accompanied by orders! Okay, I won't look, but I should like to make an intemperate observation: that Standing Liberty appears to be Walking.  :makepoint: doh! :facepalm: :roflmao:

Oh you're too funny @Quintus Arrius! He meant, don't look at anything other than the silver cuz this is the "luv of silver" thread! Well, i looked! And as always @ShinyObjects, i did drool with envy! 

On 9/9/2022 at 10:46 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Oh, for Chris'sakes! Don't make me have to check my records and receipts! Berkeley, yes, or no?

I was afflicted with a case of Roosteritis during recovery in my home after hip re-replacement surgery, I believe three years back. Truth be told, the very first gold coin I acquired was a--hold on while I reach for it in a slotted slab box--here it is: a 1904 Venezuelan 20 Bolivar coin, I bought raw, for no other reason than because it features a horse glancing backward  within the crest on the reverse. Then I discovered roosters... and TPGS, and submitted everything for authentication and grading. [The Venezuelan coin, touted as Brilliant Unc., or some such, was returned as an AU58.] BR, i.e., "Before Roosters," I was a normal, civilized human being who collected coins from change (much like you do) proof sets, mint sets and odds and ends of interest. Against the edicts of the numismatic fraternity, I absconded from collecting after silver was removed from coins. No more Morgans from the bank. Nothing. I only resumed collecting after I spotted my first rooster. I collect whatever moves me. I just forwarded my sister one of those 5-oz. quarters. She was immediately smitten. Now I am retired. The Rooster run is over. That, in a nutshell, is the truth, the whole truth, etc.

Are you really asking me about the Berkeley thing? I haven't the slightest idea of which you speak. The graffito on the coin? I thought it was a button! Who knew? Anyway, roosters roosters, yes yes. Coins coins, yes yes...

My reference to Berkeley was misdirected to you. Attn: @ShinyObjects do you remember from whom you obtained that flip festooned with red-inked descriptors.  With regard to "don't look," regrettably, I was punked i/f/o a large studio audience: N.G.C's membership. (Translation: I looked!)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Compelling reason for re-wording in the interests of accuracy.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

My reference to Berkeley was misdirected to you. Attn: @ShinyObjects do you remember from whom you obtained that flip festooned with red-inked descriptors.  With regard to "don't look," regrettably, I was punked i/f/o a large studio audience: N.G.C's membership. (Translation: I looked!)

Well thank goodness. Did you like that i thought it was a button?

On 9/10/2022 at 1:29 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Well thank goodness. Did you like that i thought it was a button?

Not at all. I have a case of cataracteritis, and even I can see it's a coin pierced with an errant bullet. [I'd bet Stevie Wonder could see that!]    🐓