• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,213 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2021 at 3:56 PM, Coinbuf said:

Sad but true, what the mint considers art today is more like clip art.   Only every once and awhile will the mint break that mold and produce an eye appealing coin, but those are usually only for some type of commemorative coin rather than any coins for circulation.

Artist sculpturing by the minter’s creed, slowly have become a dying breed.

rkh

Edited by R__Rash

On 12/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, tigerbait said:

Just got this coin as well as several 1921 Morgans for Christmas from my mother in law.  We thought she had no idea that I collected.  I'm psyched to say the least.  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

1921-1$-PEACE-obv-raw.jpg

1921-1$-PEACE-rev-raw.jpg

One of the strongest strikes of "PEACE" I've ever seen!  You can actually see the relief! Thoughtful gift!   🐓 

On 12/23/2021 at 11:26 PM, Woods020 said:

What’s the grade? This one is a stunner to my eye. I really like the toning. If you ever want to part with it let me know. 

Any way you grade this, the barely visible L in Liberty will have to be explained; the weak IBE will have to be scrutinized; and the strongly struck RT will have to be explained as well. The Y has an alibi due to the contour of the "tiara."  Overall, the coin is quite nice and its reverse is noticeably nice featuring some original mint luster. Knowing the OP,  he will not sell the coin. He may consider trading it, or surprise, surprise, simply give it away as a cadeau to his family.  (thumbsu  🐓 

On 12/23/2021 at 10:49 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Any way you grade this, the barely visible L in Liberty will have to be explained; the weak IBE will have to be scrutinized; and the strongly struck RT will have to be explained as well. The Y has an alibi due to the contour of the "tiara."  Overall, the coin is quite nice and its reverse is noticeably nice featuring some original mint luster. Knowing the OP,  he will not sell the coin. He may consider trading it, or surprise, surprise, simply give it away as a cadeau to his family.  (thumbsu  🐓 

Or the fact that it has less toning and the lighting doesn’t reflect as well in some parts of Liberty. That could also explain what you are taking as strike weakness in a series where other than some New Orleans examples most are well struck. 

On 12/22/2021 at 12:07 AM, Woods020 said:

B069FFE0-B86C-4A71-8912-420495FCA86C.jpeg

4865382B-5D2F-423A-992D-2E95E456A058.jpeg

E69ACFAE-9609-44C2-B8A9-FDB2E151959F.jpeg

This coin has quite a bit going for it.  Proof high grade + !  Good example of, there are two sides to every coin! Any power lens used is insufficient to do this coin justice: lovely denticular-incognito piece.  And the lava-like flow of cobalt blue iridescence, traces of which can be detected peripherally on the obverse, can be found at about 0200 hrs. on the reverse. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas with that nice ribbon-tied wreath!^^  (thumbsu  xD   (worship)   🐓 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:26 PM, Woods020 said:

What’s the grade? This one is a stunner to my eye. I really like the toning. If you ever want to part with it let me know. 

Thank you sir, I agree that the coin is very eye appealing.    NGC gave it a grade of MS67, however you are a few years too late.   I had visions of putting together an 1897 year date set at one time but then changed my mind and subsequently sold this coin.   I would not be all that shocked if the coin now resides in a + holder either by our hosts or in a PCGS holder.   The only coin I've sold that I wish I had not, but I made a few dollars on the sale and at some point you cannot keep everything.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:38 AM, Coinbuf said:

Thank you sir, I agree that the coin is very eye appealing.    NGC gave it a grade of MS67, however you are a few years too late.   I had visions of putting together an 1897 year date set at one time but then changed my mind and subsequently sold this coin.   I would not be all that shocked if the coin now resides in a + holder either by our hosts or in a PCGS holder.   The only coin I've sold that I wish I had not, but I made a few dollars on the sale and at some point you cannot keep everything.

Good thing you didn’t sent it to the QA grading company 😂

A local shop in Birmingham Alabama has a set of Barber dime proofs that I’ve been after for a year. They are all proof 66+ and up and all CAM or DCAM. Look like they were minted today. He won’t sell them. Keeps saying he wants to get them CAC’d before he sells. I’ve offered him an embarrassing amount to buy the full set and he won’t budge. But the most interesting thing to me is he said an older gentleman strolled in one day and said he had a small collection of coins he wanted to sell. He wasn’t really a collector but had picked these up 30 or so years ago. He was expecting junk and the guy pulled out the full proof set of Barber dimes. The guy had gotten them graded and now was selling. Goes to show you never know who has what. 

On 12/24/2021 at 12:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

F12 per QA??  :roflmao:

Judge, jury, prosecutor, castigator and press agent...

From the Senate subcommittee proceedings commonly referred to as the Army-McCathy hearings featuring Joseph R. McCarthy and Joseph Welch, televised June 9, 1954. 

"Until this moment, I think I never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness."

"Have you no sense of decency, at long last?"

I wish you, and yours, a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year!     😉    🐓 

On 12/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, rrantique said:

fe96522f-f107-4131-9084-44f93ff12412_zpsed588bd1.jpg

YWAndV53SfagNaKLqBde_103_0369_zps8b9f18c4.jpg

🏃‍♀️ Running critique...

🐓:  You wouldn't say United States Postal, without Service [or USPS] so why would they mint a coin that reads U.S. Marshal, without the Service [USMS]?

Q.A.:  I don't know.

🐓:  And why commemorate its 225th anniversary for which there apparently is no formal name? (Yes, I looked, and my search literally broke the internet.) 

Q.A.:   I have no idea, but do me a favor: Like his post. Nothing escapes the vigilant gaze of his avatar.  😉  

On 12/27/2021 at 10:35 PM, Woods020 said:

I can’t remember if I’ve posted this one in this thread or not

9F552DA3-3EBA-419C-B55F-5D4D3F7D6DE8.jpeg

F838DA66-6979-4F27-A5A6-59ACEC2704B8.jpeg

7CB77C6C-D00E-4F86-850D-C9DE54F77C7E.jpeg

[It's coins like this which exhibit your exquisite taste, that makes you a "somebody" in my book!]   🐓