• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,204 posts in this topic

@AcesKings  Notwithstanding some high-point wear, which does not in any way detract from the overall magnificence of this classic masterpiece, this coin retains and exhibits all the natural, original mint luster and eye appeal -- attributes I envisioned I would receive -- when I initially championed the cause of authorizing a centennial observance and placed my order for the 2021 coins.  No flat, washed-out, fancy-schmancy satiny finish, no troubling post-mint damage or other issues, whatsoever. Whatever happened to the Good Old Days when the expectation of excellence from the Mint was a given?  Now there are no one-size-fits-all Proofs. Instead, the hobby will be bedeviled by those whose claims of "mine is better than yours" will be validated by experienced graders. The conclusive proof (pardon the pun) is there for all to see in the photos posted in this thread.

Thank you, @AcesKings ! The defense rests...   🐓 

On 11/6/2021 at 4:53 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

1992937296_SideBySide.png.ab6ef835f032f9fe0fc27ff546869556.png

Very nice.....I'm a sucker for any coin with a good bird depiction on it. 

Edited by Mohawk

On 11/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, tigerbait said:

Very cool!  My father was stationed in Korea, way back when.

On 11/7/2021 at 4:43 PM, Mohawk said:

Very nice.....I'm a sucker for any coin with a good bird depiction on it.

Thanks!

The coin is from the Korean National Parks series that started in 2017, each coin depicts a scenic view and/or destination in each park along with a depiction of flora and fauna that is unique or primarily associated with that park or region. The coin posted is dedicated to Gyeongju National Park, located in the province of Gyeongsangbuk-do, South Korea. The obverse depicts a panoramic view of Namsan Muntain and a temple site, the reverse depicts two Mandarin Ducks, Aix galericulata, (male & female) and the needles and cones of the Japanese Red Pine, Pinus densiflora. The series is a fun one to collect but with the caveat that the denomination was changed to 50k won in 2020 and again in 2021 to 20k won along with a composition change from silver to cupronickel (2 coins) and brass (2 coins). I'll post some more of these as we go along.

Here's a link to the KNPS website where they have some info on each of the 22 Parks. https://english.knps.or.kr/Knp/AboutNP.aspx?MenuNum=1&Submenu=AboutNP 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:32 PM, Lost_in_reality said:

Aemilian antoninianus

AEMILIAN OBVERSE REVERSE RIC IV.3 1.jpg

Very nice coin, Lost_in_reality.  That's one of the nicest looking Ants I've ever seen (thumbsu

On 11/9/2021 at 2:17 AM, MorganMan said:

While not a US Mint product, this Dcarr design is very nice!

dcarr.jpg

Nothing wrong with a little exonumia, MorganMan.  The main thing I'm working on is an exonumia project.  It's something that means a lot to me personally and I'm having a great time with it.