• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,212 posts in this topic

Very nice, LemE!!! I really like them all.  Looking at your Neumann and Fontane 5 marks has me giving some thought to picking up some of the West German commemorative silver 5 marks as well as the circulation issue.  As for the Imperial 1 Mark, that's a damned handsome coin as well.  I never got started on a set of them because there are just too many expensive dates in that series....it's a real challenge!! I may pick up a nice one off, though.  Thank you so much for sharing those!!! I really enjoyed seeing them!

On 1/11/2022 at 3:32 PM, Mohawk said:

Very nice, LemE!!! I really like them all.  Looking at your Neumann and Fontane 5 marks has me giving some thought to picking up some of the West German commemorative silver 5 marks as well as the circulation issue.  As for the Imperial 1 Mark, that's a damned handsome coin as well.  I never got started on a set of them because there are just too many expensive dates in that series....it's a real challenge!! I may pick up a nice one off, though.  Thank you so much for sharing those!!! I really enjoyed seeing them!

Thanks. I was going to ask you about the 1978. Is that a type of proof coin? It has frosted devices and I wouldn’t think a circulation coin would have that. I don’t know anything about these coins. Just picked them up on a whim.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:36 PM, Lem E said:

Thanks. I was going to ask you about the 1978. Is that a type of proof coin? It has frosted devices and I wouldn’t think a circulation coin would have that. I don’t know anything about these coins. Just picked them up on a whim.

Hi again, LemE!

Actually, I do think your 1978 is a mint state strike.  The circulation type of silver 5 mark ended in 1974 and was replaced with a copper-nickel version.  Your 1978 (and 1968 also) is a commemorative coin that wasn't intended to circulate and was sold at a premium to collectors.  I've seen some mint state/circulation strike West German silver 5 marks, of both the circulation variety and commemorative issues, with frosted devices like your coin.  It's more prevalent on the commemoratives to find the frosted devices on MS coins, but it can happen with any of the silver West German issues.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/11/2022 at 3:42 PM, Mohawk said:

Hi again, LemE!

Actually, I do think your 1978 is a mint state strike.  The circulation type of silver 5 mark ended in 1974 and was replaced with a copper-nickel version.  Your 1978 (and 1968 also) is a commemorative coin that wasn't intended to circulate and was sold at a premium to collectors.  I've seen some mint state/circulation strike West German silver 5 marks, of both the circulation variety and commemorative issues, with frosted devices like your coin.  It's more prevalent on the commemoratives to find the frosted devices on MS coins, but it can happen with any of the silver West German issues.

Thanks. Appreciate the information. I just think the bird designs are interesting. I’m not much of a world coin collector. I have these and a few Canadian change finds and a Polish Grozzy or Grozzly? I cant remember what it is. Thanks again my friend.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:50 PM, Lem E said:

Thanks. Appreciate the information. I just think the bird designs are interesting. I’m not much of a world coin collector. I have these and a few Canadian change finds and a Polish Grozzy or Grozzly? I cant remember what it is. Thanks again my friend.

Bird designs are huge with me. I'm a bit obsessed with birds (I know, a shocking confession from me!)  The only reason I own any U.S. coins at all is because there are several with bird designs I find beautiful and compelling except for the March of Dimes dollars I have.  I have those because I like the baby on the reverse.  If it weren't for bird designs (and babies), I likely wouldn't own a single U.S. coin.  It's funny how we both have some things outside of our collecting areas because of birds, and our areas of interest are opposite each other.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/11/2022 at 3:53 PM, Mohawk said:

Bird designs are huge with me. I'm a bit obsessed with birds (I know, a shocking confession from me!)  The only reason I own any U.S. coins at all are because there are several with bird designs I find beautiful and compelling.  If it weren't for bird designs, I likely wouldn't own a single U.S. coin.  It's funny how we both have some things outside of our collecting areas because of birds, and our areas of interest are opposite each other.

If I did start collecting world coins it would probably be something like these German pieces. 

On 1/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, Mohawk said:

German is a great area to get into.  There's a lot to offer and something for almost anyone.  Empire gets a lot of love from people, but I prefer coins from the time of the East/West split.  That said, though, I'll go for anything German that catches my eye aside from Nazi stuff.  I don't like Nazi stuff.  But, other than that, I'm pretty fair game with German.  If you like a good bird depiction, German coins have A TON of them!! I really like the latest bird depiction Germany has done, too, on the 1 and 2 Euro coins:

Germany 2 Euro 2016 Normal J - Hamburg | Eurocoinhouse

I don't have one yet, but I'm planning on picking up a Hamburg or Berlin proof set to add the designs to my collection.  Germany is really good at awesome bird depictions.

Very cool.

Nice pics, Woods!  I can't wait to get my 5 Marks and actually photograph them myself.  Not that my pics will be up to what you posted.  They're very nice photos.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:13 PM, Mohawk said:

Nice pics, Woods!  I can't wait to get my 5 Marks and actually photograph them myself.  Not that my pics will be up to what you posted.  They're very nice photos.

I’m trying to blow the dust off. I used to be into wildlife photography and travel photography from my adventures. Coins are another animal I have to conquer. Trying to get a way to have a repeatable production environment. I have had a dealer website set up for about 6 months now and the only thing between me and launching it is photographing about 300 coins for sale. I snap a few then it gets put to the side for a month. 

Edited by Woods020

On 1/11/2022 at 8:15 PM, Woods020 said:

I’m trying to blow the dust off. I used to be into wildlife photography and travel photography from my adventures. Coins are another animal I have to conquer. Trying to get a way to have a repeatable production environment. I have had a dealer website set up for about 6 months now and the only think between me and launching it is photographing about 300 coins for sale. I snap a few then it gets put to the side for a month. 

That's exactly why I've stuck with selling small numbers of coins.....the photographing.  I can get through about 20 coins or so if I have the time, but then I c*ap out.  So, I tend not to buy much over that for resale at any given time.  Though, I wouldn't call myself a dealer.  I'm just an Educational Sales Coordinator with a bad coin and note addiction who sells a few things to help feed the beast even more lol

On 1/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, Mohawk said:

That's exactly why I've stuck with selling small numbers of coins.....the photographing.  I can get through about 20 coins or so if I have the time, but then I c*ap out.  So, I tend not to buy much over that for resale at any given time.  Though, I wouldn't call myself a dealer.  I'm just an Educational Sales Coordinator with a bad coin and note addiction who sells a few things to help feed the beast even more lol

That’s about what I’m doing. I’m developing a coin hoarding problem and need to make space and fund the addiction to a small degree. 

On 1/11/2022 at 8:20 PM, Woods020 said:

That’s about what I’m doing. I’m developing a coin hoarding problem and need to make space and fund the addiction to a small degree. 

I had to scale down my hoard as well.  I did a lot of that over the course of 2020 and 2021.  Now, I'm ready to expand out on the things that survived the purge.  A purge is a good way to figure out where your true and strongest interests lie, I'd say.  It'll probably get unruly again though, I'm sure.  I always have a way of making the collection unruly eventually.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, Timely said:

My oldest son & I going through 1100 Morgans, pulling the best of each date.

morgans1 (2).jpg

morgans.jpg

That’s what this hobby needs to remain relevant. I’m so happy to see a father and son spending time like this. Kudos to a good father. 

On 1/12/2022 at 11:10 PM, rrantique said:

1880 S MS65.jpg

Picture021-9-2.jpg

Q.A.  I'm not sure what all we're supposed to be looking at on the MS-63 below, but do me a favor and "like" his post because this guy looks like he means business!  😉 

🐓:  Your wish is my command, boss!