• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's See Some Gold!

427 posts in this topic

Dooley,

What can I say, I think I am addicted. I am in New Jersey in a hotel, brought my teenage daughter here with a friend for a concert tonight. I am bored.

Rey

Dooley,

What can I say, I think I am addicted. I am in New Jersey in a hotel, brought my teenage daughter here with a friend for a concert tonight. I am bored.

Rey

hay rey You headbang.gif rock

Yep, a general admission standing only concert with some British Band I have never heard of, Amber Pacific, should be quite an experience. Back up band is Melee. I am too old for this stuff, been there done that. I will let you know if I survive.

Rey headbang.gif

Yep, a general admission standing only concert with some British Band I have never heard of, Amber Pacific, should be quite an experience. Back up band is Melee. I am too old for this stuff, been there done that. I will let you know if I survive.

Rey headbang.gif

dont worry about it rey i have never heard of that band and there not played on the radio ?

Yeah i poured that one up tonite shy.gif

What gave it away Stinky? sorry.gif

Thanks Bobby grin.gif

I'm far from any expert on counterfeits, but if it is a counterfeit, it looks like a cast counterfeit. Its surfaces are rough and uneven. Almost looks pitted.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif and i thought i had those pits filed down on the cast. makepoint.gif

maybe i need to try another mold sorry.gifgrin.gif

or a different camera 27_laughing.gif

more grease.

1793930-Picture027.jpg

1793930-Picture027.jpg.cfb30d689378cd77f3d4315d28308107.jpg

The first gold coins that that the United States mint issued were $5 gold pieces. The mint issued them under nine warrants from July 31 to September 16, 1795.

1795HalfEagleO.jpg1795HalfEagleR.jpg

The first gold coins that that the United States mint issued were $5 gold pieces. The mint issued them under nine warrants from July 31 to September 16, 1795.

1795HalfEagleO.jpg1795HalfEagleR.jpg

Very cool coin Bill. I like how the early coins had 15 stars to include the 14th state Vermont (1791) and the 15th state Kentucky (1792). I think the 15 and 16 star coins are much more historic than after they switched to 13 stars. It was a time early enough in the country's history that every state counted. I'm guessing that Ohio never got a star when it became the 17th state in 1803. Is that correct?

There are a couple of 16 star coins. Here is one of them, the 1797 half dime with 16 stars. This is a scarce variety, but it's the rarest one for the year. The 1797 half dime with 13 stars wins that honor. As you can see things started to get too crowded, which let the mint to go back to just 13 stars.

1797HalfDime16O.jpg1797HalfDime16R.jpg

There are a couple of 16 star coins. Here is one of them, the 1797 half dime with 16 stars. This is a scarce variety, but it's the rarest one for the year. The 1797 half dime with 13 stars wins that honor. As you can see things started to get too crowded, which let the mint to go back to just 13 stars.
That's also very cool Bill. Thanks for posting smile.gif

Was the next coin, to have 1 star for each state after 16 stars, the 1907 Saint with 46 stars? Oklahoma became the 46th state on November 16, 1907. Were there any 1907 coins or patterns issued with 45 stars?

Actually the next coin to have stars that corrisponded with the number of states was the 1836 Gobrecht Dollar. The variety with the stared reverse had one star for each state. Thirteen of the stars were larger than the others.

1836DolR.jpg1836DolO.jpg

Actually the next coin to have stars that corrisponded with the number of states was the 1836 Gobrecht Dollar. The variety with the stared reverse had one star for each state. Thirteen of the stars were larger than the others.
Argh! You're right. I don't know how I forgot about that one just now. Must be a gold bug! wink.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks for mentioning 13 stars are larger. I had noticed the different sizes but didn't get around to looking for the significance. It's interesting that the 1936 Gobrecht has 26 stars but Michigan didn't become the 26th state until 1837. They must have been planning ahead smile.gif

Thanks Chad and Irvin,

I was also thinking around 60-61. Wish it were closer to a 62 but I don't think it would make that.

Rey

Lady Liberty looks a lot thinner on that coin than I remember. I guess 100 years of standing on a rock will burn a few calories makepoint.gif

I knew you had some gold! thumbsup2.gif