• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's See Some Gold!

427 posts in this topic

Today August 19th, in 1848, the New York Herald broke the news to the East Coast of the United States of the gold rush in California (although the rush started in January).

Here is another of the most recent images by Bob, thanks Bob. 1907 D MS 65

Rey

1907D5obv_175.jpg

1907-D5rev_300.jpg

If it looks in hand as good as the pictures it is a gem.

I can vouch what a gem Rey's coin is. Images don't do it justice. Here is another view under slightly different lighting.

1907D5obv_182.jpg

Dwaine, the low mintage, 1870-S quarter eagle is a great coin in AU55! Really nice pickup! NGC has only graded (11), 1970-S quarter eagles in MS grades.

Thanks, OldTrader3. I'm pretty pleased with most of the gold pieces I've posted so far. Your $10 gold is a beauty!

Hopefully these scans won't be as big as my last ones. If anyone is interested, the grades are" PCGS XF 40, ANACS MS 62, NGC MS 63.

5o.jpg

5r.jpg

Thanks for the welcomes and encouraging comments guys! That 1847 AU53 was the first Eagle I ever bought. I now have two. :) But I really like that one.

Not to get off-topic but I wanted to say -

After collecting ancients for 13 years I started with US coins less than a year ago. It's a whole different ball game from ancients and I'm taking my time learning. Of which I can't thank the posters of this forum enough. What I've learned here has been invaluable. And the more experienced collectors don't have to post and share their hard earned knowledge. But they do and I'm grateful.

You will see me more often as time goes on.

Tenacious, I also would like to welcome you here. I guess I'm qualified as a newcomer as I've been here for less than a year, but I agree, the posters here are a terrific bunch and have and continue to teach and share a great deal of their knowledge (and gorgeous coins!) RI AL

Good afternoon, guys...

Well, the good news is that I am scanning the last of my gold type set for inclusion in this post so you won't have to look at my embarrasingly miserable pictures in this topic any more....unless foreign gold qualifies in this thread. I have a few pieces that I would love to share with you.

I have tried to find a way to just scan the coins with out the slabs (or partial slabs) but I haven't found a way yet to get "round" scans. Maybe it's not possible with the Microsoft Scanning Wizard thingy so again, I apologize for the lousy, too big scans. Someday I'll learn.

All 4 coins are NGC, 1898s MS 63, 1908 No Motto MS 64, 1911s MS 64, 2006 Buffalo MS 70 (first strikes...why THAT is significant I don't really know...) maybe someone can explain it to me sometime. RI AL

20o.jpg

20r.jpg

I'm sorry, Guys.

Here's the last of my U.S. gold. I don't know why the pix got deleted in the last post. RI AL :blush:

goldob.jpg

goldre.jpg