• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's See Some Gold!

427 posts in this topic

Chad,

This has turned into a great thread. Hopefully it will continue to stay toward the top of the first page. Thanks everyone for sharing all of your great assortment of gold. hail.gif

Chad,

This has turned into a great thread. Hopefully it will continue to stay toward the top of the first page. Thanks everyone for sharing all of your great assortment of gold. hail.gif

It has been a great thread so far! I only wish I had more gold to post flamed.gif

Chad,

I agree. Lots of beautiful coins everyone smile.gif

Why not just ask for it to become a sticky thread like the Most Recent Acquisition and Lead Picture threads?

893whatthe.gif Somebody call the calvary and circle the wagons. bumpit.gif

Great Scott it's the whole Indian Nation. Beautiful coins Bob takeit.gif

Not to mention the incredible photos of those little $2.50 chiefs. They can be tough to photograph but you did or had done a superb job in imaging them. thumbsup2.gif

893whatthe.gif Somebody call the calvary and circle the wagons. bumpit.gif

Great Scott it's the whole Indian Nation. Beautiful coins Bob takeit.gif

Thanks Irvin. It's hard to believe that people actually used to carry and spend those kinds of coins.

Not to mention the incredible photos of those little $2.50 chiefs. They can be tough to photograph but you did or had done a superb job in imaging them. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks on the compliment, Victor. You're right, they (along with a few others) can be quite problematic. I did image those myself, along with more than a few that are on the opposite end of the spectrum

Related to Gold, you probably know that in 1883 the Liberty Head Five Cent Pieces first appeared without the word Cents on the coin, only the letter V. Some of these "centsless" coins were gold plated and attempted to be passed as $5. The word Cents was added later that year to discourage this.

Here is one that somebody at some time had attempted this.

Rey

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Related to Gold, you probably know that in 1883 the Liberty Head Five Cent Pieces first appeared without the word Cents on the coin, only the letter V. Some of these "centsless" coins were gold plated and attempted to be passed as $5. The word Cents was added later that year to discourage this.

Here is one that somebody at some time had attempted this.

Rey

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Thats a great example of the "Racketeer Nickle" Rey thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for posting 893applaud-thumb.gif

It is part of his collection and I sent it in to ANACS knowing what had happened to it with a note commenting that I realized that. I was expecting it to come back indicating "Altered Surface" or something similar but to my disappointment it came back as non-genuine.

Rey

hm How that Platinum Blob get on my GOLD coin ...
Nice unc LOC smile.gif I love how the torch is platinum but the flame is gold - very cool. I don't have one yet but it's one of the coins that got me back interested in collecting, along with the unc Jackie Robinson and 2001 ASBs. Hmm, haven't seen a Jackie Robinson on this thread yet but I don't have one of those either. Love the simple baseball reverse on that one - very American!

That LOC is pretty cool, Mike. I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

Nice $5 gold proof, Rey. There's nothing prettier than proof gold. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

That LOC is pretty cool, Mike. I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

Nice $5 gold proof, Rey. There's nothing prettier than proof gold. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

That is a pretty Bi-metal Mike. cloud9.gif She's a beauty Rey thumbsup2.gif

Platinum and Gold

Actually I couldn't think of a better metal to accompany Gold. Platinum is nice............................. thumbsup2.gif

The LOC was part of my MO COMM set that I recently liquidated the silver and kept the gold and this one for a new Reg set of Mo Comms. I just could not part with this coin as it is VERY low mintage ( Why some have not seen it ) and its housed in a NGC MS70 Holder anf this coin is a little out of the basic collectors price range. I have had this coin for around 3 years so I have seen significant appreciation of its value lately ( on paper ) .. Glad you enjoyed it and this is the pic I will be using for the registry set pictures. Pics came out nice with the baby tripod and Lighting - a little blurry but I can't replace my eyes ( blargh )