• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I make a big mistake??
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I just sent in my Congratulations set to NGC, to be graded. This is the first time I've ever submitted any coins to be graded. I also had a "possible" error cent. On the submission form, I checked "mint error." I then typed out why I thought it might be an error coin. Are they going to grade it as an error, or did I mess up on how I submitted it?

On 4/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, Scott0949 said:

I just sent in my Congratulations set to NGC, to be graded. This is the first time I've ever submitted any coins to be graded. I also had a "possible" error cent. On the submission form, I checked "mint error." I then typed out why I thought it might be an error coin. Are they going to grade it as an error, or did I mess up on how I submitted it?

If they don’t recognize THAT PARTICULAR ERROR ALREADY (you have to tell them which one it is) they will not put it on the slab, period. “Errors which are not” are among the most frequent mistakes new collectors make. You cannot just throw out the idea of an error. 

On 4/30/2022 at 1:20 PM, Scott0949 said:

And did you post a pictures of that error coin here first, before you submitted it?

On 4/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, Scott0949 said:

Yes I did. 

Well, would you mind posting a link to it or post a picture of the coin here again?

On 4/30/2022 at 7:18 PM, Greenstang said:

I just checked all ten of your previous posts and I don’t see where you posted an error coin.

Please explain what coin you enquired about.

Thank you for the reality check.  I feel like I'm going nuts here sometimes!!

Based on the responses I got, (Posted March 28th under: Investinrehabs), I doubt it's an error coin. But I thought it was worth a few bucks to find out. Here is my original post. I had it under a different users name:

I'm not a newbie, but I'm baffled by a 1979 Lincoln, (no mint mark), cent I have. I went to 3 coin shops and all three of them told me that they're baffled as well. The composition of the cent is as follows: 69.79% Nickel....29.99% Copper and .22% Lead. It looks like a "steel" cent. However, there is no steel in it and it doesn't stick to a magnet! All 3 coin shops looked at it closely and said it does not look like it's a counterfeit. It doesn't resemble a copper cent at all as far as the "color" goes. Has anyone ever run across one of these? I researched it and can't find one single article about it. The pictures I'm attaching make it look like a copper cent, but it looks just like a steel cent. I'm very curious if anyone has run across one of these. It looks like "copper" in the pictures but in person it doesn't.

Pic 1.jpeg

pic 2.jpeg

Edited by Scott0949

Since there is no mention of Phosphorous in the coin's composition, it almost had to have been plated in an electrolytic nickel plating bath.  Probably a barrel plating technique involving current.

Electrolytic nickel plating baths can vary the nickel's appearance from semi-bright to bright, depending on the nickel plating bath formulation.

Not mentioned in the analysis was the total mass of the "penny."  Nor was there mention of the analysis technique, which could reveal how deeply the analysis could probe the deposit.

If you go to a "job shop" plating shop that deals with nickel plating, the platers there could probably open a desk drawer where they have lots of "souvenir" plated pennies.

They'd be happy to give you one for free.

On 5/2/2022 at 11:38 AM, Scott0949 said:

I'm not real confident with it coming back as an error coin. But I guess time will tell. 

Why are you posting under a new alt?   And I have 100% confidence that you will not get it back as a mint error

@Coinbuf I believe you are correct.  There has come up, here and ATS, an awful lot of those coins found in the latest archaeological dig in the recently closed Walmart parking lots and called 'Error' or 'Variety'.  Their heads are full of that 'I'm gonna get rich' nonsense.

Coinbuff,  when I registered for NGC, I used my business email. Then I also registered with my personal email, but wasn't able to post to the chats. NGC had to fix it and that's why I'm now posting under my personal email. 

I had 3 coin shops look at the coin. It turned out that the most reliable one had checked with the owner and the owner said it wasn't an error. But the other 2 were baffled. So it sounds like to me, that if you you forum "posters" are correct, then you all need to replace the coin dealers in my area! 

But here's my question again. Here's what I put on the NGC submission form: "Mint error." Metal content is off but weight is within tolerance. Copper content is very low and there is no zinc, Color is not copper and nickel content is high. So will this be evaluated and evaluated as a possible error? I'm fine with it not coming back as a bonified error. I just want to make sure they do everything they can, to evaluate it. That's all I want for my $18!

Scott, There are no qualifications to be a "coin dealer." None; or to add any of the industry puffery such as "expert", "Highest prices paid for gold", "Lowest prices on gold," etc.

Sorry, but I don't know the first thing about XRF analysis and I don't care to know anything about it. It's a coin and if I lose $18, my life won't end. 

On 5/2/2022 at 1:49 PM, Scott0949 said:

Coinbuff,  when I registered for NGC, I used my business email. Then I also registered with my personal email, but wasn't able to post to the chats. NGC had to fix it and that's why I'm now posting under my personal email. 

Fair enough, usually forums of all types avoid letting members use multiple accounts for several reasons, like the confusion it created earlier in this thread when members tried to find your earlier post about this Lincoln cent and could not.

I had 3 coin shops look at the coin. It turned out that the most reliable one had checked with the owner and the owner said it wasn't an error. But the other 2 were baffled. So it sounds like to me, that if you you forum "posters" are correct, then you all need to replace the coin dealers in my area! 

I have zero desire to be a brick and mortar coin dealer so I will pass on that idea.   And sadly knowledge of coins is not required to open a coin shop, usually just a pulse will suffice.

But here's my question again. Here's what I put on the NGC submission form: "Mint error." Metal content is off but weight is within tolerance. Copper content is very low and there is no zinc, Color is not copper and nickel content is high. So will this be evaluated and evaluated as a possible error? I'm fine with it not coming back as a bonified error. I just want to make sure they do everything they can, to evaluate it. That's all I want for my $18!

Yes NGC will evaluate your coin because you paid the fee and asked them to, in this case that will likely be a very simple visual review as the coin is obviously plated.   Also you are correct that very few would have their life altered because of $18, however some of us are always perplexed when people come here for answers and then ignore the information given to them and waste the money anyway.   But your money so if sending it in scratches your itch then its all good.

I would think there is also a submission fee to go with that $18 error fee and maybe some postage for shipping ?

On 5/2/2022 at 5:57 PM, Coinbuf said:

Fair enough, usually forums of all types avoid letting members use multiple accounts for several reasons, like the confusion it created earlier in this thread when members tried to find your earlier post about this Lincoln cent and could not.

I have zero desire to be a brick and mortar coin dealer so I will pass on that idea.   And sadly knowledge of coins is not required to open a coin shop, usually just a pulse will suffice.

Yes NGC will evaluate your coin because you paid the fee and asked them to, in this case that will likely be a very simple visual review as the coin is obviously plated.   Also you are correct that very few would have their life altered because of $18, however some of us are always perplexed when people come here for answers and then ignore the information given to them and waste the money anyway.   But your money so if sending it in scratches your itch then its all good.

I’ve got itches I’d like scratched too, but when I have them, I see an expert that I have selected after careful comparative analysis. and when he advises me, I follow his advice. But, this is the 21st century in America, the Unofficial Golden Age of Intentional Ignorance. The Enlightenment brought us out of the Dark Ages. The Enlightenment seems to be unofficially coming to a crashing end - brought to you by the abuses of the Internet. 

Edited by VKurtB

I didn't get a "Congratulations Set."  :(  They sent me a bunch of parking lot overdates and doubled dies in a holder that said "Tough Luck Set."

On 5/2/2022 at 6:32 PM, RWB said:

I didn't get a "Congratulations Set."  :(  They sent me a bunch of parking lot overdates and doubled dies in a holder that said "Tough Luck Set."

Worth a small fortune on etsy.  ;)

On 5/2/2022 at 10:11 PM, Coinbuf said:

Worth a small fortune on etsy.  ;)

If only it could stay there. It increasingly has infected eBay

On 5/2/2022 at 8:36 PM, VKurtB said:

If only it could stay there. It increasingly has infected eBay

Worse etsy types are now showing up in droves on the coin forums like here and ats.   Ebay I can deal with as I spend very little of my time there and only look at a few select sellers or items, but infecting the forums is really starting to lessen my enjoyment of them.