• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,200 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2021 at 12:22 AM, rrantique said:

103_0382_zpsxno4wjfx.jpg

103_0381_zpsdinmiphg (2).jpg

[If you would kindly ask your avatar to put his six-shooters down (know he has them) I would like to offer the ask the following questions, apparently near-twenty years after the fact:  a). Why the contrast in light source colors, and b). Why the use of a magnifying glass of clearly zero-power? The right hand bearing it is "flat" with not a semblance of three-dimemsionality, and worse, the Franklin half appears to be the size of a nickel or quarter.  The eagle, by contrast is superbly detailed.

That's a nice one, Coinbuf!! Very appealing.  I like the Barber Dime.....it's got almost an ancient Greek feel to it.  The Barber Dime is actually the most handsome of the Barbers, in my humble ancient coin guy opinion.  Thanks for sharing that one!

On 8/22/2021 at 2:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

One that I used to own

1897-Barber-Comp.jpg

[Oviously be an offer, or trade, you could not refused!  Abd who cab blame you?]

On 8/22/2021 at 9:42 PM, Mohawk said:

Looks like the thread is doing well!! Thanks to everyone who has participated!!! I'll add another of mine to keep us going......here's another one of the small number of Roman coins that I have that isn't Faustina the Younger.  This is a denarius of Julia Domna, who is third in line for empresses I would attempt a full RIC set for (but will likely never get the chance to because Faustina's catalogue is MASSIVE):

Ancient Coins - Julia Domna AR Denarius / Isis and Horus

Good thing I sprung for 🐓. Only 16 in the kit kaboodle.  xD

Spider....I absolutely LOVE IT!!! That is a stunningly beautiful coin!!  Those Athenian Owls are one of the greatest coins ever made, period!  And I have some ancestors from that neck of the woods, too.  Some of my dad's family came from Bosnia.

Edited by Mohawk

I notice that on those holders -- nicely done, BTW -- that they give 2 grades:  strike and surface.

I take it this is because you are dealing with coins that are 500-2,500 years old and are not in any condition comparable to coins minted since 1800 or so ?

On 8/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I notice that on those holders -- nicely done, BTW -- that they give 2 grades:  strike and surface.

I take it this is because you are dealing with coins that are 500-2,500 years old and are not in any condition comparable to coins minted since 1800 or so ?

If you look at a lot of these coins (and I looked at a LOT of them before choosing to buy this one), the three variables graded are (i) how worn; (ii) quality of strike, and (iii) quality of the surface.  What is not covered by the grading is how badly off-center the strike is.  For whatever reason, this particular type of coin, struck over a long period of time, was struck on a planchet that was too small for the die, so almost all of them have some portion of Athena cut off (usually a huge portion of her helmet/crest and/or her nose and/or chin).  So you can have a well struck coin, uncirculated, with an excellent surface, with low visual appeal, because Athena is missing some important part and/or the owl is way off center or missing part.  This one isn't quite "full crest," but almost, and it was by far the best of the examples I saw that I was willing to pay for.  So I bought it.

You'll note that it is graded for wear, just like modern coins.  Perhaps modern coins should be graded for quality of strike and quality of surface, also.  :)

Mark

On 8/27/2021 at 6:36 PM, Lem E said:

Here is a raw one I just picked up. Pretty worn but I liked it. A little color to it.

E6FD61B0-B35D-41F1-86DC-2FAA60C1CD1C.jpeg

3F5EE565-9373-41BA-8165-814F5F3B5AA4.jpeg

Orichalcum comes to mind and there's not a smidgen of gold in it.  Even wear throughout -- and though the tail be gone, the denticles are still smiling and tickle my fancy. They ought to consider a label: Last Year of Issue: pocket watch specimen. A real doozy!

@Hoghead515  As one of the most down-to-earth members on the Forum, allow me to further expose my unfamiliarity, i.e., ignorance of numismatics with you by expressing the following comment with my trade-marked reckless abandon: "I absolutely, positively do not have the ability to stand stock still -- whether as a human being or eagle -- long enough to allow a master portraitist or engraver to exercise and execute their artistic talent."   😉

On 8/28/2021 at 7:17 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Orichalcum comes to mind and there's not a smidgen of gold in it.  Even wear throughout -- and though the tail be gone, the denticles are still smiling and tickle my fancy. They ought to consider a label: Last Year of Issue: pocket watch specimen. A real doozy!

You like that Orichalcum, don't you Quintus?  I love it!!! lol  I'll have to find more excuses to have Orichalcum show up around here.......maybe a "For the Love of Orichalcum" thread...........hm

On 8/29/2021 at 3:06 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I love this coin. Its a true beauty. 

^^ First time I've seen one with a nice bronzed look that highlights all the nooks and crannies. 🐓

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Clarification

On 8/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

^^ First time I've seen one with a nice bronzed look that highlights all the nooks and crannies. 🐓

Same here. Very nice toning.