• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,198 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 3:35 PM, rrantique said:

1904 o ms64.jpg

1904 ms64.jpg

[I am prepared to make you a very attractive offer for the name of the active ingredient used in your top-secret cleaning formulation.]  😉 

On 9/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, tigerbait said:

I wish I could capture this coin better.  

1860-25C-PR62obvClose.jpg

1860-25C-PR62revClose.jpg

Why?  It's got the finest pair of denticles I believe I've ever seen.  The stars are very well-defined, too!

On 9/14/2021 at 9:00 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Why?  It's got the finest pair of denticles I believe I've ever seen.  The stars are very well-defined, too!

Thank you.  It’s a lovely example.  My photog skills are lacking.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, Lem E said:

Here we have the complete opposite of the coin above. 

1921P WALKER COMBINE.jpg

But it served its purpose as a medium of exchange.  I think there's something to be said for that.

On 9/16/2021 at 11:18 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk  There are two variables at play here... One is my overwhelming desire to have authenticated and certified, the absolute lowest graded coin in TPGS history. I overplayed my hand last time and submitted a coin automatically disqualified because I had obliterated the date. My before and after pictures 📸 📷  were ignored. @Lem E's example re-ignited the spark in me as did the coin posted on the Forum bearing the much coveted PO-3 grade (which I feel is beatable, ideally as a PO-1.)  Picture the optics of that: pop 1/2317. So, I  ❤  the coin, for the wrong reason.

Two is reminiscent of Albert B. Fall's from grace during President Harding's tenure as president. He accepted a substantial bribe and was the first Cabinet official) Sec'y of the Interior) to go to federal prison for his acceptance of a bribe (official misconduct) in connection with the Teapot Dome 🫖 scandal, serving one year. (That's a brief summary of the back story you can use... "Well, all I can tell you is my grandpa used to tell me this coin..."

Great coin!  👍 

I actually did have a coin graded for resale that was a PO-1.  It was a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter.  But that was the only PO-1 I've ever graded.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:18 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Mohawk  There are two variables at play here... One is my overwhelming desire to have authenticated and certified, the absolute lowest graded coin in TPGS history. I overplayed my hand last time and submitted a coin automatically disqualified because I had obliterated the date. My before and after pictures 📸 📷  were ignored. @Lem E's example re-ignited the spark in me as did the coin posted on the Forum bearing the much coveted PO-3 grade (which I feel is beatable, ideally as a PO-1.)  Picture the optics of that: pop 1/2317. So, I  ❤  the coin, for the wrong reason.

Two is reminiscent of Albert B. Fall's from grace during President Harding's tenure as president. He accepted a substantial bribe and was the first Cabinet official) Sec'y of the Interior) to go to federal prison for his acceptance of a bribe (official misconduct) in connection with the Teapot Dome 🫖 scandal, serving one year. (That's a brief summary of the back story you can use... "Well, all I can tell you is my grandpa used to tell me this coin..."

Great coin!  👍 

I have coins that are worse than this one. (thumbsu

On 9/16/2021 at 11:29 PM, Lem E said:

I have coins that are worse than this one. (thumbsu

Once I get into Faustina the Younger's posthumous series, I likely will, too!!! Many of those are TOUGH in any grade, let alone for something I would normally consider presentable.  There is a variety of sestertius in her posthumous series which has dancing girls on the reverse....that sucker is over $500 in what would be considered PO-1 for more modern coinage!!!

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/17/2021 at 4:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

To keep from involving myself in the false grading debacle I am going to post a silver coin.  :) 

1940ts-Comp-Reflection.jpg

Academic question, to what do you attributute the dark crescent shapes on either side of the feilds, and the injury best described as a euphemism, MMD, directly behind "Liberty's" head.  

[Oui, I take judicial notice of the CAC gold sticker.]

On 9/16/2021 at 11:23 PM, Mohawk said:

But that was the only PO-1 I've ever graded.

Folks may not believe it but there's a growing market for the low grades.  I've read a lot of wants for PO 1 on CT and ATS.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:45 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Folks may not believe it but there's a growing market for the low grades.  I've read a lot of wants for PO 1 on CT and ATS.

I totally believe it.  I've seen some insane prices for PO-1, FR-2 and AG-3 Eisenhower Dollars among PCGS Lowball collectors.  I've even sold a lowball Ike, a 1971-D Friendly Eagle that was a G-6.  That's likely the lowest grade one could be and still be recognizably the Friendly Eagle variety.  Any lower than G, the pickup points for that variety are completely annihilated.  

Edited by Mohawk

On 9/17/2021 at 2:39 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Academic question, to what do you attributute the dark crescent shapes on either side of the feilds, and the injury best described as a euphemism, MMD, directly behind "Liberty's" head.  

[Oui, I take judicial notice of the CAC gold sticker.]

This is a photographic/camera artifact, in hand these are brilliant mirror polished areas from when the die was lapped to remove a die clash.   However the camera/lens interpret areas like this the same way it sees a modern proof coin where in photos the fields are black.   Very common to see areas like this on many coins but especially on Mercury dimes.   Another tell that the die was lapped is that the bridge of the nose is sinking into the field, again very commonly seen on Mercury dimes.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/17/2021 at 5:18 PM, Coinbuf said:

This is a photographic/camera artifact, in hand these are brilliant mirror polished areas from when the die was lapped to remove a die clash.   However the camera/lens interoperate areas like this the same way it sees a modern proof coin where in photos the fields are black.   Very common to see areas like this on many coins but especially on Mercury dimes.   Another tell that the die was lapped is that the bridge of the nose is sinking into the field, again very commonly seen on Mercury dimes.

I have learned so much from this forum!  :-)  I am still trying to understand the nuances of grading.  It can be pretty confusing.  I have several examples that look very different to me, yet have identical grades.  

On 9/17/2021 at 6:18 PM, Coinbuf said:

This is a photographic/camera artifact, in hand these are brilliant mirror polished areas from when the die was lapped to remove a die clash.   However the camera/lens interpret areas like this the same way it sees a modern proof coin where in photos the fields are black.   Very common to see areas like this on many coins but especially on Mercury dimes.   Another tell that the die was lapped is that the bridge of the nose is sinking into the field, again very commonly seen on Mercury dimes.

Never would have known this.  I appreciate the explanation. (thumbsu 

On 9/16/2021 at 11:23 PM, Mohawk said:

I actually did have a coin graded for resale that was a PO-1.  It was a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter.  But that was the only PO-1 I've ever graded.

This is what happens when you arbitrarily put off until tomorrow -- and beyond, what you can do today.  Obviously, there is little point in equalling another's record.   (worship)

@AcesKings  

On 9/18/2021 at 7:54 PM, AcesKings said:

1934.jpg.0af1e077b177bb16fe3d1e3575316bf5.jpg1934R-.jpg.4e97cc90f1614873b6889cfff490ca66.jpg

I have spent the past half-hour poring over the reverse, probably the finest I have ever seen, and cannot help but award it an MS-70+ grade. The very first of its kind -- and this is prior to formal authentification and certification.

Fleeting thought... So proud was the engraver of his handiwork, that he departed from long-standing custom and subtlety etched his SSN unobtrusively on the upper half of the rising sun on the obverse. (Even the footwear is unique.)  I double-dare any member, irrespective of experience and supporting documentation, to produce for viewers a finer strike -- strikingly devoid of a hint of a single bag mark, much less wear.   😉