• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im deleting my PCGS Account and never going back
1 1

359 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2020 at 4:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Question:   Is there any greater compliment than being told repeatedly, Do not feed the Trolls!; taking that advice to heart, taking the additional step of employing the blocking mechanism, roundly denouncing the subject in a superfluous post, and then responding to a reference made to the troll as deduced from a denunciation obliquely made by a third party?

My rejoinder.

On 12/13/2020 at 4:35 PM, Alex in PA. said:

And you have been officially granted the rank of Clown.  Now get out of here and gwan back where you crawled out of.

Where's that email liar!

Nowadays, of course, Moderation would deem this to be a violation of Guidelines. That's the beauty of this vintage thread.

Gentlemen of the Forum:  Unfortunately, my wife is calling me to bed, and I, the retread man am tired. I have carefully dissected one-half of this thread, which devolved quickly into one big mess. I have no authority to do so, but I am going to declare this thread one of the G.O.A.T., and take the liberty of assigning it a 9, on a scale of 1 to 10, because it is possible a finer thread may exist featuring some of the greatest names in Chat Board history in unimaginably rare and splendid form. All the greats are here; I feel like these are the members I grew up with. For anyone craving a taste of what the Good Old Days were like [before a member declared the site to be "Sleepy Hollow,"] you need go no further than this vintage thread. [Man, I love this thread, and the Moderators for having me!]  🐓 

On 5/17/2021 at 9:03 PM, Johnnyb1954 said:

If these coins are a MS 66, then my coin should be a 67+. I have been checking out and buying many Morgans. I have looked at all the coins and am now just sending them in for grading with NGC. I'll let you know how I do. Thanks for posting.

[OK. Times up! Retread guy here. How did we do on those Morgans [if not previously disclosed?]

On 12/14/2020 at 7:51 AM, Alex in PA. said:

This thread has been an absolute waste of disk space and I do hope the Mods poof it.  :devil:

My eternal gratitude to the Moderators for not acceding to mercurial temperaments and fleeting emotions. Let this thread stand as a monument to gentlemanly paticipatory debate and argument. Well done, NGC!

On 12/14/2020 at 9:39 AM, NevadaS&G said:

Forget about the picture and read some of these reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/pcgs-professional-coin-grading-service-newport-beach

I have taken some down time to investigate the link provided by the OP, and must admit I found some of the reviews to be concerning if not downright disturbing. The comments submitted take TPGS-bashing to a whole new level. Whether you prefer one to the other, it behooves you as an educated consumer to explore all sources of information, good, bad or indifferent.

On 12/15/2020 at 9:13 PM, NevadaS&G said:

I can only hope NGC grades that 1889 very soon so I can shove it in your faces and declare myself the Winner.

[Be honest, gentle reader, when's the last time you've encountered venomous invective on the Forum like this? When I discover the precise dividing interval between BM and AM, i.e., before enhanced Moderation, and after, I will make that known. I suspect it was the day Dena Skeffington, presently Website Coordinator, warned: "This stops now!" It had to have been within the past two years. I will find it. Her post has been preserved, in perpetuity.]

On 12/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I'd think about leaving them in the PCGS slabs, a third round of grading is probably not going to net you much other than more expense. Especially if they were mishandled as you claim.

Do you have some before and after pics of one or two of the coins, I'd really like to see that 66+ that dropped 2+ points, that's surprising. Especially since PCGS seems to get called out for gradeflation more often than not, more so on the big ticket coins.

Vintage thread. Regrettably, the OP never responded. I would have liked to have seen his reply to this.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:43 AM, NevadaS&G said:

Instead of posting pics of coins, I'll leave one of my MC, come and get me.....

IMG_20200724_181531665_HDR.jpg

[I am truly sorry this member left in a huff. He left so many unanswered questions. And nobody can match his, me-against-all-of-you, bluster.]

On 12/14/2020 at 10:27 AM, NevadaS&G said:

Don't worry guys I wont be here long enough to bother you anymore, the mods will come to delete me and this post. It's inevitable, they don't want people to see the other side of the coin.

[And the thing of it is, the Moderators never did. Somewhere in the Good Book, there is a verse that reads, in substance: remove not the ancient landmark [boundary stone] which your fathers have set. (Pr 22:28) And NGC saw the value in retaining this remarkable thread. Man, I love this place! If you have the time [and your wife allows you to] you really should review this thread in its entirety and see how it embarked on a journey with promise, which evolved and quickly devolved, into something else.  I do not believe there is anything remotely like it, presently.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Found exact scriptural quote

On 9/3/2022 at 7:43 AM, J P M said:

You ok Quintus?   Are you getting enough sleep or are the roosters waking you up to early. You seem to be babbling on and on now for days about water under the bridge. 

Fair appraisal. Unfortunately, now that I am behind a walker, 95 % of my world is inaccessible and what I've been left with is a periscope.  I have to make do with what I have. I thank you for broaching the subject with sensitivity.  (thumbsu

[To the exceedingly polite otherwise unidentifiable gentleman who called me late at nite to advise me not to wear white after Labor Day, and give the Forum a break with my endless meanderings... Point acknowledged. I will stay off the wires until after the summer break. Clever ploy calling me from number:  000-000-0000!]

It really didn't seem to make a difference to me at the time. The guy was upset. He was just blowing off steam. There was some method to his madness. He was persistent. And apparently universally disliked. Oh, jeez, I promised to be quiet until after Labor Day. You see what you just made me do?  :roflmao:

On 9/4/2022 at 5:54 PM, VKurtB said:

Both have changed ownership and answer to different bosses. Short term revenue increases and cost reductions are moving up the priority scale. It’s the way everything works these days. 

Yes sir they have... this leads me to think are they looking for profit now instead of the integrity of the grade??  or do you think they are going to rely on the sticker process to tell them they did a god job or not?  Will they also sacrifice against better judgement and default to that higher grade for the all mighty dollar?

On 9/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Fair appraisal. Unfortunately, now that I am behind a walker, 95 % of my world is inaccessible and what I've been left with is a periscope.  I have to make do with what I have. I thank you for broaching the subject with sensitivity.  (thumbsu

I am sorry to here of your misfortune. I am sure with your experience and knowledge you will overcome this minor obstacle on your path and find a way to make it work to your advantage.  I think we can be thankful in our senior years that coin collecting is a low contact sport.;)

On 9/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

The internet is your legs to the outside world !! (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Hope you feel better soon QA.

This is the last time I will respond to this thread... I wanted to wish QA well, but I do not want to promote traffic to this otherwise TOXIC thread.  The OP is nothing more than a troll.  Hopefully this thread sinks into the abyss and we can start a new one to have more meaningful conversation.