• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CoinTalk.com a scam?
3 3

453 posts in this topic

Wait a dang minute!!  I thought you were talking about pcgs forum   Beaver pointed out that he doesn’t recognize you and cat backs him up. 
   Coin Talk I’m not familiar with so…..

Welcome. ( glad I didn’t start looking for your nemesis Doug,over there)😉🙀🦫

On 4/4/2022 at 3:56 PM, VKurtB said:

I will NEVER claim to be an expert about gold coins in any way other than their sketchy legal history. I find grading them to be exceptionally difficult when compared with silver and base metals. Some (guess who) deny it but gold coins are just waaaaay more liberally graded. The softness of the metal (yes, it IS softer, sorry, it just is) leads graders to grade the stuff much more liberally. Who else says so? Brian Silliman. Literally. With English language words. I see so little gold because I actively AVOID it, that when I try to grade the stuff, I’m almost always too low. 

Gold coins -- at least Double Eagles -- are also larger than many coins so the fields show marks, dents, dings, and wear more easily.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:48 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Gold coins -- at least Double Eagles -- are also larger than many coins so the fields show marks, dents, dings, and wear more easily.

Don’t forget weight. Density matters. But platinum is even more dense and it is NOT so susceptible to marks and chatter. The nature of the metals are what they are. In my in-person ANA grading class with Silliman, gold coins I saw as maybe 62’s at best were slabbed as 64-65. Double Eagles are significantly smaller than silver dollars. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/4/2022 at 3:56 PM, VKurtB said:

I will NEVER claim to be an expert about gold coins in any way other than their sketchy legal history. I find grading them to be exceptionally difficult when compared with silver and base metals. Some (guess who) deny it but gold coins are just waaaaay more liberally graded. The softness of the metal (yes, it IS softer, sorry, it just is) leads graders to grade the stuff much more liberally. Who else says so? Brian Silliman. Literally. With English language words. I see so little gold because I actively AVOID it, that when I try to grade the stuff, I’m almost always too low. 

@VKurtB

I did a little research a few years ago using some of the metallurgy sites and and reference books I borrowed from a colleague.  Believe it or not, the hardness values of 90% gold is close to 90% silver.  That really surprised me. There are other materials properties such as ductility that play a roll as well but I didn't dig that far.  So it appears that adding just 10% of Cu and other stuff has a major affect on hardness.

I can't recall finding any hardness data on the 75Cu25Ni Alloy for nickels or clad

However, .999+ bullion, is definitely softer.

Sorry, but I don't have the references.  Just have to rely on my memory

On 4/4/2022 at 7:16 PM, Oldhoopster said:

@VKurtB

I did a little research a few years ago using some of the metallurgy sites and and reference books I borrowed from a colleague.  Believe it or not, the hardness values of 90% gold is close to 90% silver.  That really surprised me. There are other materials properties such as ductility that play a roll as well but I didn't dig that far.  So it appears that adding just 10% of Cu and other stuff has a major affect on hardness.

I can't recall finding any hardness data on the 75Cu25Ni Alloy for nickels or clad

However, .999+ bullion, is definitely softer.

Sorry, but I don't have the references.  Just have to rely on my memory

Is the minor metal in gold coins really as much as 10%? I could have sworn it was lower. 

On 4/4/2022 at 3:02 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Wait a dang minute!!  I thought you were talking about pcgs forum   Beaver pointed out that he doesn’t recognize you and cat backs him up. 
   Coin Talk I’m not familiar with so…..

Welcome. ( glad I didn’t start looking for your nemesis Doug,over there)😉🙀🦫

Doug is a member there and probably here. Not sure when he posted last. Not really important. I'll guess that starting a second account on CT is what created the problem. 

On 4/7/2022 at 1:25 PM, SALV1966 said:

I Have only had a few problems with a few members but as a 1 1/2 year member there ,have never been any warning about a ban towards me. xD 

Wow! A living legend! I can't wait to see what coins you're going to start posting. It's an honor to have you here, sir. May we all bask in your glow.

I found this coin the other day 

20220406_175232.thumb.jpg.40f69b018ca3de9437fd3bca2d8dc9f0.jpg20220406_175212.thumb.jpg.46af66602b6cb1ac84a999115ac9e093.jpg

is it a "black" beauty, oh wise one? Although i hate the term. I think it's time we come up with something a little more progressive like, "ebony" beauty or, "nubian" beauty. Time for change!

Welcome! 

On 4/7/2022 at 1:16 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

Wow! A living legend! I can't wait to see what coins you're going to start posting. It's an honor to have you here, sir. May we all bask in your glow.

I found this coin the other day 

20220406_175232.thumb.jpg.40f69b018ca3de9437fd3bca2d8dc9f0.jpg20220406_175212.thumb.jpg.46af66602b6cb1ac84a999115ac9e093.jpg

is it a "black" beauty, oh wise one? Although i hate the term. I think it's time we come up with something a little more progressive like, "ebony" beauty or, "nubian" beauty. Time for change!

Welcome! 

And Monticello features one giant rounded over step, too. 

On 4/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

RWB's Saints book has 738 bags of gold coins in total.

Well there ya go someone is not saying the truth. Imagine that :whistle: 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:18 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Well there ya go someone is not saying the truth. Imagine that :whistle: 

Both can be true. 711 bags of twenties and 738 total of gold coins. 

On 4/8/2022 at 12:33 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Well Yes that is True >>>>>>>> LoL

The generally accepted number seems to be 711 bags of U.S. $20 gold and a whole lot of other forms of gold, of many nations. 

On 3/31/2022 at 12:25 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

I'll start poking around, thank you. I repeat, i have zero knowledge of coins! I just find cool stuff every day. 

The second account. What if my wife joins? Whatever. My history there was flawless. I have a feeling they wanted me gone for a while now because i have nothing to offer other than my daily finds. I really was a zero contributor, but people had fun!

My wife said, if they're banning you for that, they don't deserve to see your finds. I almost agree. But i made some friends over there over the year, and i lost everything. Contact info, all that, was in my PM folder on the site. Now I'm banned. All gone. That kind of stinks. Oh well. 

Example of a daily find, you say? Sure! Why not! Right @Lem E?

20220331_093135.thumb.jpg.308e4c452c36eabe52a5373a1bab18fe.jpg20220331_093128.thumb.jpg.474e283112e5a54a311138c14b3e8739.jpg

1941S. Small S though. I've found 2 of the large S since i started. I find stuff like this, all the time. I only know about the varieties because of CT. 

Large S found today

20220429_103238.thumb.jpg.88aa631cf9f3b18b53c5f37164430be8.jpg20220429_103231.thumb.jpg.9f5d5acf4d8f52473d5d01513d931f65.jpg

Anybody else following the drama over on CT? I've been banned for 3 about months but still follow along, and it seems the more "sensitive" members might be jumping ship, or threatening to, at the very least. A couple of "ancient" people were recently butt hurt, and they think they own the site. So funny! I don't bother with ancients, I'm clearly not cerebral enough, thank goodness. All threads have been locked, so it may take some searching. Have fun! 

[I am surprised to see this thread has gone on as long as it has.  During my recent banishment to bogeyland, I took the liberty of investigating this matter of a possible scam at CT.  Fortunately, this is one of those cases where it does not take one to know one.  I don't know what their Master Plan is, or even if there is one, but it would seem to be against their self- interests to engage in wholesale banning. Who would be left? What would be the point?  My feeling is nothing should be "permanent," least of all banning, especially in the heat of the moment. There should be the possibility of a review after an appropriate interval. Suppose the person who authorized a ban is no longer associated with the organization?  If memory serves, there are at least two prominent  members here who were once members there. No man is beyond redemption.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Closing bracket.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:27 AM, Frank said:

Here ya are!

Hey @Frank, who are you over on CT? Unless you're the "other frank", then we know each other, quite well. And I've also started a "daily finds" thread here, if that's something of interest, to you. Anyway, glad you found me! 

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 8/3/2022 at 10:48 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

Hey @Frank, who are you over on CT? Unless you're the "other frank", then we know each other, quite well. And I've also started a "daily finds" thread here, if that's something of interest, to you. Anyway, glad you found me! 

TreasHunt over there, or: The Other Frank

I started this name years ago, and forgot about it.

Anyway, I have to look for your daily finds.

You told me to call ya, but never left your number.

:)

On 8/4/2022 at 8:00 AM, Frank said:

TreasHunt over there, or: The Other Frank

I started this name years ago, and forgot about it.

Anyway, I have to look for your daily finds.

You told me to call ya, but never left your number.

:)

That's the trick. NO ONE has my number. Nothing personal. Glad we can connect here rather than snail mail! When you going to the coin show on 110 next? 

Here you go

I just started it the other day, but it's growing rapidly, as did the one on CT

Edited by CoinJockey73

I spent a lot of time in the past on "Coin Talk" on issues of interest, but have not been on there in a while.   I found that people could be attacked brutally on that site without much in repercussions.   After some time you can't even revise or delete your own comments.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:33 AM, Nutmeg Coin said:

I spent a lot of time in the past on "Coin Talk" on issues of interest, but have not been on there in a while.   I found that people could be attacked brutally on that site without much in repercussions.   After some time you can't even revise or delete your own comments.

Funny, I stopped dropping by when it finally dawned on me all they want to do over there is talk about coins.   🐓 

On 8/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Funny, I stopped dropping by when it finally dawned on me all they want to do over there is talk about coins.   🐓 

… or shower undeserved praise on GDSMP?

On 8/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I think that's the reason why most people come to these sites.  :facepalm: